x

Add/Ring up items to sale by SKU?

The title of this thread was updated from its original title: “Can an item be rung up using the SKU?”.

Can an item be rung up using the SKU?  Entering the SKU rather than tapping the category/item grids would be quicker.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller Alumni

Yes,  Using the library list you can search by name or sku.  If you use an iPad you can get a barcode scanner and use that as well.

Message 2 of 11

Thank you.  That helps a lot.

Message 3 of 11

Follow up question:

I was able to successfully pair my barcode scanner with my ipad and it works well in looking up the barcode (which is the SKU), when I search for it; HOWEVER, in the register screen everytime I scan the barcode it transfers the barcode number to the checkout, not the actual item.

So for example I have an item which I sell for $40. And the SKU (=barcode) is 456789, then whenever I scan that barcode in the register screen it pulls up as $456789 instead of $40.

There has been several discussions about this in the past. Has this issue been resolved?

Message 4 of 11
Super Seller Alumni

What Hardware are you using tablet and scanner?

Message 5 of 11

@RHatch

I'm using an iPad 2 (GSM model) with an Wasp WWS550i cordless Bluetooth Barcode Scanner

Message 6 of 11
Super Seller Alumni

And there lies the problem.  The scanner is not compatible with Square.  Your scanner only works where there is a text box, like the search box.  Because there is no text box to scan into on the register it will not work.  You need to use one of the compatible scanners.  Here is the hardware compatibility page for the iPad.  It is also time to upgrade your iPad.  You will have a much better experience with the correct equipment.

Message 7 of 11

Thank you!

Message 8 of 11
Alumni

Thanks @RHatch!! 🙌

Message 9 of 11

@RHatch

I now have the Socket Mobile 7Ci Barcode Scanner, the recommended scanner by Square. However, I still have the same old problem.

I saved the barcode as the SKU. When I scan the barcode on the register screen it takes the actual number, not the item.

Am I missing something?

Message 10 of 11
Super Seller Alumni

Can you please explain a bit more, I am not following you. "When I scan the barcode on the register screen it takes the actual number, not the item."

Do you mean when you scan it shows the number in the item search?

Do this with your scanner.

Get you manual out and scan the factory reset barcode.  

Turn the scanner back on and scan the barcode on this page.   This will configure your scanner to work with Square.

Message 11 of 11