x

Is there a way to duplicate items in two different categories?

I have one Square account, a retail shop and do occasional crafts fairs. My partner keeps the shop open while I do shows. Is there a way to DUPLICATE items in 2 separate categories? So far, all I have been able to do is move items from one category to another. Any/all help will be appreciated.

Thanks-Tom

Message 1 of 17
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Duplicating items to build store

@tailorcostumes duplicating items is not possible today. You can make "Variations" of the item that have different descriptions in the name. For example I have an Item called "Lace Skater Dress" that comes in "Slate", "White", and "Blue". By clicking "Add Variation" beneath that item, I can create three variations for the colors with their own Price and SKU information. Would that help you setup your inventory?

16 REPLIES 16

Currently, there does not appear to be a way to duplicate an item within multiple categories. You can certainly track multiples of a single item through inventory management, but when you create an item you are only given the option of one category to choose from.

If inventory management is not what you are looking for you can always create variations of the item name and then assign it to different categories, i.e., Blue Necklace1, Blue Necklace2, etc.

Message 2 of 17
Square

An item can only be in one category at a time. You could create a similar item and add it to the other category.

Also it sounds like you might be trying to use categories to determine which items you sell at the retail shop and the craft fairs. If so, you could go into the setting and create a new location called "Craft Fairs" and you would be able to control which items are sold at each location.

Message 3 of 17

Dear Square Team,

This is a necessary function of any inventory system with items that may fit into multiple categories, which allows for salespeople to quickly locate items that may be related to one or more types of transactions (sweaters that pair nicely with certain other tops as well as separate pants, etc.).  In our industry, we install many products which utilize many of the same parts and it would be helpful if our staff could simply select a category associated with a job (well tank install, water filter install, etc.), which include common parts such as steel hose clamps.

Thanks for your continued efforts...

Message 4 of 17

Hello @hartleywell

So this is kind of an old thread. Currently you can make a duplicate of the same item and assign each item to a different category. Although each item's inventory will be independent of one another. Having the inventory connected is still a feature request. 

Here's a screen shot of the duplicate items in my Item Library: 

Message 5 of 17

Did you just create a whole new item, or is there a way to create an item and duplicate it so you don't have to type everything out over and over?

Message 6 of 17

Hey @avagraceclothin! You will have to create a second item. Currently we don't have a button to automatically duplicate an item. If you're doing this on a CSV. file you could just copy the item details and add it to a new row! Just make sure to not change the item token. 😀

Message 7 of 17

We use the same item variations as price points for most of our items. We're selling different volumes of one product at 5 different prices. We rotate items VERY often and when adding a new item have to add all variations and prices. Is there a way to save a variation template to speed up our new item entry process?

Message 8 of 17
Admin

@DramZach

This is a Feature Request we hear a lot and something we are actively working on. Item duplication, template options, etc are something that would make everyone's lives easier.  

I'm moving your post to the thread where this is being discussed so we can continue to iterate this request, and we'll post product updates here in the Seller Community when changes are made. 

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 9 of 17

I am building out my store with inventory and would like to duplicate an item I created and then just change single description line instead of building an entirely new item.  Is that possible?

Message 10 of 17
Super Seller Alumni

As far as I can find out, there is no way of duplicating an item in Square's system yet.  It would be a useful thing to have, though.

Judy T Shumway
Message 11 of 17
Square

@tailorcostumes duplicating items is not possible today. You can make "Variations" of the item that have different descriptions in the name. For example I have an Item called "Lace Skater Dress" that comes in "Slate", "White", and "Blue". By clicking "Add Variation" beneath that item, I can create three variations for the colors with their own Price and SKU information. Would that help you setup your inventory?

Message 12 of 17

I  need a size, color and button color variations.  I can't seem to figure out how to create all those variations and manage an inventory based on those variations as well.  I've tried creating a listing by size and then having internal variations of color and button color but it isn't going well.  

the listings also come up clunky on invoicing - the entire description comes up on the invoice instead of just the item name.

I'm pretty new to the retail side of this - I've previously done mostly custom work.  Figuring out the best way to handle inventory items vs custom items (based on an inventory style) has been difficult.

Message 13 of 17

I'm not sure about that, I'm fairly new to square.  I would love to know though how you move an item from one category to another though!!  I'm trying to do that right now with no success.

Message 14 of 17
Admin

Welcome to Square and the Seller Community, @Ironwife12565!

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you can definitely move an item from one category to another by heading over to the Item Library > selecting proper item > clicking Category drop-down menu > selecting proper category > Save.

Hope this helps clear things up. Please let me know if you have any further questions. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 15 of 17
Admin

Thanks so much @tailorcostumes and @tgraypots for this post. We are working hard to address this request. Keep and eye out here on our Product Updates board for more information in the coming weeks.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 16 of 17

We too have several products where there is more than one option (size/ colour) - this would be great to be able to clone! So that with over 13 options in some items we wouldnt have to keep typing an option we could just use a table of preset (by us) options.

@kellyj

Message 17 of 17