x

How do I start a prepayment and then deduct from that account?

How do I start a client prepayment account and then deduct from that account?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Square

Not sure I know what you mean, @Whiteowl1. Can you provide a little more information on what you're looking for? 

I'll keep an eye out for your response. 

Message 2 of 10

Customer wants to put money on account and then deduct the services when rendered.

Message 3 of 10
Admin

Thanks for that information, @Whiteowl1. At this time, we do not offer a way to track deductions from an account as services are paid — the app is best suited for accepting payments at the time a service is completed. Hopefully, your customer will be open to paying as they go.

We'll definitly circle back with any other updates. Please keep in touch and let us know if you have any other questions. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 10
Beta Member

Could this be done with a Square gift card?  Yes, it would be a $40 investment in the smallest pack of cards.  But then the prepayment could be put on the card, and each transaction paid with that customers card.

We have a small farm and have been asked to do a meat CSA (Community Supported Agriculture).  I don't like the idea of giving members a box of various meats that they may not use, so I'd like to run it like a prepaid account.  So we are planning on getting gift cards, and each CSA member would have a gift card that I would keep at our farmer's market stand, and they may purchase whatever they want with the gift card.  I'm still working out the details, like whether to give them the discount at the time they purchase the card or when the products are purchased with the card.  But I think it's the same idea.

Message 5 of 10

@FarmMom how did it work out with the CSA members and gift cards? I am interested in using gift cards for our CSA members as well. 

Thanks! 

Message 6 of 10
Beta Member

I don't think we would have done our CSA without the gift cards.  Our meat CSA is basically a pre-paid, discounted account of $500 or $1000, which is put on a Square Gift card that I hold onto in a binder, using 10/page card inserts.  So it serves as a CSA, but rather than a box of product every week the customer buys what they want and pays for it out of their account by swipe their gift card.  And when they run out they just resubscribe and it goes right back on the card.  I use a Sharpe to write the customer's name and if they are a CSA subscriber on the card, and also have their card# written on their contract in case I lose it.

I also use gift cards for a few customers that want to pay cash for deliveries and don't have change, so they'll put even $20 or so amounts on their card and then run their order with the card and just carry a small balance.  So I don't really sell them as "gift" cards as such.

Message 7 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for being great and helping out your fellow Sellers, @FarmMom 😎 🙌

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 10

This is so great @FarmMom! Thank you for sharing, I'm so glad to hear that this concept works for CSAs. We are a vegetable CSA and the Gift Card seems like a great *modern* approach to the CSA. I'm working on setting this up on our new website, as we just switched to Square to accept credit cards. 

Our CSA customers, like yours, do not receive a weekly box, but they show up at our Farmers Market locations and use their CSA membership "credit" at checkout.

Good luck this season!

-Meghan

Message 9 of 10
Square

Hi again @Whiteowl1. Just wanted to see if you still needed help with this question. Look forward to hearing back! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 10 of 10