x

I'm concerned about unauthorized account access and phishing scams. What do I do?

I woke up this morning and my email address had been changed (not by me). There is not an easy way to get help. I tried to access the website to get a phone number, and it made me create a new account, but the phone lines are closed for the weekend. I tried emailed the help desk and security, but have not received responses. I am panicking, because some Joe Schmo has my bank information and customer listing at his fingertips. I send out invoices at the beginning of each month, and god only knows what is being done in my name. Please help if you have any suggestions!

Message 1 of 65
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Given the sensitive nature of this subject, we have to escalate these issues into our support team to resolve. If you haven't already, please use this form to send our team an email: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/contact

If you have already sent an email, then there is no need to send another one. We answer emails 7 days a week, so our support team will respond, and will take the appropriate actions to ensure your account's safety.

Phishing scams tend to be the root cause of these issues. Phishing scams are what happens when a fraudulent person reaches out via phone, email, or even text, in effort to gain access to someone else's legitimate account. These articles contain useful information on how to recognize, and protect yourself from a phishing scam.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 65
64 REPLIES 64

Message 2 of 65
Alumni

Hi @sljutras, it seems like you may be having an issue similar to those in this thread. Please get in touch with our Support team using the instructions above.

Message 3 of 65

First things first,

I have both written and proof of signature & hardcopy receipt for this. This man is a fraud and a liar and I'm just now learning this about him. I did services even after this one job and he STILL owes me $1200.00. This case in a court of law will for sure be in my favor. Henceforth, I won't be in need of your services since I was given adequate time to respond.

Message 4 of 65
Alumni

@Divachels - Thank you for posting! Due to the sensitive nature of your request, I'm going to send you a follow up email within a couple of minutes more details. Appreciate your patience!

Message 5 of 65

I have the same issue! How I do contact support?
Message 6 of 65

I have been hacked, exactly the same way.  I need to chat with someone ASAP.  I just went and closed my accounts a my bank and there should be someone to connect with at Square on the weekends.  PLEASE ADVISE!!  I too just created another account just to be able to communicate with you...

Message 7 of 65
Alumni

Best Answer

Given the sensitive nature of this subject, we have to escalate these issues into our support team to resolve. If you haven't already, please use this form to send our team an email: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/contact

If you have already sent an email, then there is no need to send another one. We answer emails 7 days a week, so our support team will respond, and will take the appropriate actions to ensure your account's safety.

Phishing scams tend to be the root cause of these issues. Phishing scams are what happens when a fraudulent person reaches out via phone, email, or even text, in effort to gain access to someone else's legitimate account. These articles contain useful information on how to recognize, and protect yourself from a phishing scam.

Message 8 of 65

same issue but with a customer of mine. we need to talk to someone now! please send a customer code so we can call in . i cant believe you dont have a security dept phone number!

Message 9 of 65

Early this morning, I received an email stating that my account email had been changed and I didnt authorize.  I CANNOT access my account and had to start another account just to be able to send this message.  There was a thread earlier that stated the same and it has disappeared.  CAN I please get someone to respond and let me know how I can regain access to my account to protect my banking information.  I am very frustrated for I seen replies to other threads and nothing to mine...PLEASE ADVISE!!!!

Message 10 of 65

Here's the email-- 

Dear Customer,

We have not received a response from you regarding the $1,436.17 payment dispute on a transaction that was

processed on May 202016. If you would like to challenge or accept this dispute, please respond to the

information request form within 24 hours of receiving this email.

I have no idea what this is.  I have not used my square yet.

Can someone help?

Message 11 of 65

we own two businesses that use square. one has begun getting emails stating a large refund has been made or a large withdrawal is about to happen.

anyone else getting these?

suggestions to stop them?

Message 12 of 65
Square

@rachelhughes Doesn't sound like that email came from us, check out Caty's answer above for more information. 

Message 13 of 65

First things first,

I have both written and proof of signature & hardcopy receipt for this. This man is a fraud and a liar and I'm just now learning this about him. I did services even after this one job and he STILL owes me $1200.00. This case in a court of law will for sure be in my favor. Henceforth, I won't be in need of your services since I was given adequate time to respond.

I'm looking forward to your response.

Message 14 of 65
Square Community Moderator

@Pbarber I'm not sure what you're needing from us on our end, but it sounds like you're in the middle of a payment dispute with one of your customers? Did you make sure the information you received was in fact from Square and not a phishing email like the other examples in this thread? 

If so, our Disputes Team should be able to handle everything on your behalf to try and make sure you keep your funds. 

Check out this existing thread on the payment dispute process: 

Who fights for us when customers dispute the invoice & did not hold up on his/her end?!

Message 15 of 65

this is complete and utter bull**bleep** that i  can not get any support on here or call someone as i have been hacked and someone is running fake charges through my account ansd making my buisness look bad.

Message 16 of 65

@accuratepete Sorry to hear about the trouble. 

Check out the best answer in this thread above. 

Unfortunately we can’t address your account specific issues here in the community, as it’s a public forum. 

We'll need for you to reach out to our Support Team directly. 

Message 17 of 65

I am not having this same issue !

Message 18 of 65

After depositing $6,000 credit card payment through square, I received a spoofed Email from a hacker. This makes me think Square let some of my info out for all to see. What is goi g on. This seems not secure at all a system?

Message 19 of 65

Hey! Thanks for posting. The phishing scam is completely separate from your payment with Square - it wouldn't benefit us to scam our own customers out of business as we grow when you grow. 🙂

I've merged your post with an existing thread that will help explain how phishing scams work and how you can protect yourself from them.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 20 of 65

In the past two days I have received what appears to be phishing attempt that are disguised as Square correspondence. I have not clicked on these as I am pretty certain they are not legit. Who do I forward these to in order for them to be investigated?

Message 21 of 65