x

Does Square offer line item partial refunds?

Partial refunds need to be when you take an item off a completed transaction. Right now you have to type in a dollar amount. This does not adjust tax collected since it isn't tied to items.

Need same behavior on invoices too. Now you have refund entire invoice and send out a new one. 

Message 1 of 45
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Exciting news - itemized refunds are now available in iOS (don't worry, we're working on Android and it'll be coming soon)! Download the latest version of the Point of Sale app to check it out, and read more details about it in this Itemized Refunds product update. 🎉

View Best Answer >

Message 39 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
Square

It sounds like this feature would be really useful (and a timer saver). We constantly take seller feedback into consideration when planning out our product roadmap. 

I'll be sure to pass your thoughts along to our product liaison team! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 45
Beta Member

Seriously this is one of the easiest things to implement and people have been asking for a long, long time. It's something that is going to make me leave!

Message 3 of 45

Yes. This is needed, as well as, looking up the invoice by item to locate. Does anyone at Square have Retail and Accounting Management background???

Message 4 of 45

Just saying.

Message 5 of 45
Square

@ChartreuseBarn - Thanks for reaching out over the community with your feedback. I'll be sure to pass it along! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 45
Beta Member

Sean..

This is going to be the main reason that I leave square. Please escalate this request before the holidays. It's a slam dunk, easy deal to implement. If you ever worked in a retail store you would be able to appreciate how this is a necessity for retails stores to have and a huge burden as it still stands. I have been asking for this for years and will not go through the holidays with square this year if it is not fixed. 

This is what retail sellers need:

1- Be able to a partial refund an item without figuring out sales tax.

2- Be able to manually process a return (refund, store credit)

3- Be able to manually process a return and turn into a store credit (slip)

Everyone always states that they will submit the request but we never see any action.

Regards,

Mike

Message 7 of 45

Thank you Mike for laying it out again for our friends at square. Why does it have to take so long for new systems to be implemented that the users of square are requesting? This thread started in June....It is now mid october... With the Holidays rapidly approaching it really would be great to have this system implimented! 

-Also, it would be great to have the inventory automatically updated when an item is returned. 

Message 8 of 45
Beta Member

Yes ACC... you mention another great point. Nothing should be easier. If you can account for inventory on a sale then it's just as simple to implement on a return. I hope they look into this soon as there are hundreds of thousands of people in the same boat as us and just don't know where to raise the questions.. Take care

Message 9 of 45
Square

@mlgaspar @AdornCapeCod @mlgaspar - Appreciate the feedback and the details that everyone has provided. While I can't promise any sort of timeframe for feature requests, I can promise to pass along this post to our product liaison team. To get more detail about our feature request process, I would encourage all of you to check out Kelly's thread here. It provides an excellent overview of our relationship with our product development teams. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 10 of 45
Beta Member

Thank you Sean.. We appreciate the efforts to make your product even better..

Message 11 of 45

Just want to add my vote for having partial returns show up when you do item sales report. Unless you have somehow made a note of a partial return, it will NOT be reflected on your inventory sales report. NOT great!

Message 12 of 45

Hi Sean,

this is a critical feature for us as well. We would surely appreciate an update.

Thank you 

Message 13 of 45
Square

@WineRetail - While I don't have any updates to share at this time, I'll definitely pass along the feedback!. This is definitely a popular feature request we hear! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 14 of 45

The itemized partial refund is definatly needed. Also, need to be able to do an exchange within a single transaction...return an item, and then purchase another item and have the register calculate tax and price difference.

Message 15 of 45

Exactly! This is the MOST needed upgrade to square and I hope it can happen soon!

This week we have had a few returns of holiday gifts and it has been a pain trying ot exchange or return them. 

Message 16 of 45

Thanks.  This is a very basic feature, I hope is added soon.  It would be a reason why we may move away from square in the near future. 

Message 17 of 45

This has been a huge pain for us at our retail location. When a customer wants to return one item, and they purchased 5 items, It would be so much easier to just select the one item they wish to return and have the tax that is refunded automatically added to the total refund.  It would also be great to have the option to refund onto their card or give them store credit.   Hoping this feature will come soon to Square, because refunds should not be a huge headache! 

Message 18 of 45
Beta Member

This is a huge pain point for my store as well. When a customer wants to return just one line item from a list of items, it can be very frustrating for my employees to have to check to see whether the item was discounted and remember to add the discount in when figgering out how much tax to refund for the particular item to come up with the total amount to be refunded.

In the end, I still have to pay sales tax collected on that item since Square doesn't adjust the sales tax I gave back to the customer for the refunded item. It may not be that much for one or two returns, but over multiple returns it can add up.

Message 19 of 45
Beta Member

+1! For retail, this should be a standard operation, not a "feature". Also, line item discounting/editing price for an item on an invoice/order to override preset price. 

Message 20 of 45

This is probably the one thing that may make us move to another POS (althought they can't handle defective returns at point of purchase, have to move defective items out on the web portal which is hokey)...

Best would be ability to return item, then ask if resellable or defective (and move to appropriate status).  That is POS 101 

Message 21 of 45