x

Accidentally accepted as Cash instead of Credit Card....now what?

I was taking a $35 credit card payment on my iPad and accidentally tapped CASH instead of credit card.  The $35 amount does show up in my report, but now my bank deposit is $35 off.  Where’s the cash amount? And how do I amend this?

Message 1 of 37
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @Smp

I've moved your post over to this existing thread that touches on this exact situation. 

Unfortunately payments recorded as "Cash" will not be deposited since the funds were supposed to be physically handed to you directly by your customer. 

Since no card was processed, there wouldn't be anything for us to debit or deposit. You'll want to reach out to your customer if you happened to have their contact information so that you can run their card for the right amount. 

View Best Answer >

Message 20 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

This post was created from merging another thread titled "How do I fix an accidental cash transaction?"

i accidently input a cash amount in my reader, how do i delete it?

Message 2 of 37
Alumni

Hi there @paparazzibh

You can refund this transaction to bring the total to $0.00. 

From the Point of Sale app, tap the three horizontal lines in the corner: 

• Tap Transactions.
  • Select the payment you’d like to refund > tap Issue Refund.
  • Enter the amount you want to refund and a reason for the refund (in this case, the total).
  • Tap Refund.
Message 3 of 37

Is there a square charge for the refund.  And square doesn't return money to customer right?  Its just cleaning our Square record and we contact customer for actual CC info to redo?

Message 4 of 37

Russell..does square charge for the refund transaction. And....Does the Refund effect the customer's records in any way...except for the fact I need to let customer know I didn't charge her card and must?

Message 5 of 37

Russell..does square charge for the refund transaction. And....Does the Refund effect the customer's records in any way...except for the fact I need to let customer know I didn't charge her card and must?

Message 6 of 37

Hello @Jegan

There's never a fee for issuing a refund! The refund will show as a credit on the customers bank statement. If you still have questions, please feel free to @ mention me! 

Message 7 of 37

So if I issue a refund it is for informational purpose and to clean my square record....I will refund and call my customer...Thank you! I don't do cash transaction's so I can remove as a payment option?

And why should the customer be refunded when I never took cash...just processing error refund to remove charge on my end to zero

Message 8 of 37

So if I issue a refund it is for informational purpose and to clean my square record....I will refund and call my customer...Thank you! I don't do cash transaction's so I can remove as a payment option?

And why should the customer be refunded when I never took cash...just processing error refund to remove charge on my end to zero

Message 9 of 37
Alumni

Hi Jegan - Stepping in for Chad here. To clarify, did you accidentally process the payment as cash instead of card and that's why you are refunding? If so, then yes this will balance your books and you would not need to return anything to the customer. Chad's answer was referring to what happens if you were to refund a card payment.

Check out Manage Payment Types with the Square App for more information on disabling the Cash option.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 10 of 37

How do I change 2 transactions that were entered as cash to a charge transaction?

Message 11 of 37

I manually enter payments recieved and must have accidently hit "CASH" instead of credit card- I did enter the credit card information - will this payment be made via the clients credit card?

Message 12 of 37
Super Seller

it isn't just a one step to run a cash payment, after selecting cash you then have to select the amount tendered also leaving a step to allow you to back out.

if this happened where a credit card sale is rung up as a cash sale there is nothing that can be done unless you have the customer added to your customer directory and you then contact them to explain the mistake.  a credit card was never entered so nothing can be charged.

Message 13 of 37

where is this money Now??  its not in my account has it left the buyers account? if I refund it does the money come from my account I have not recieved? 

Message 14 of 37
Alumni

Hi @yoepatties - If you accepted a cash payment, the customer should hand you cash. If you accidentally marked a credit card payment as cash, that means that no money was processed. You can give our CS team a call to confirm any transactions you might have questions about. We don't have access to account specifics here in the community, but they'll be more than happy to walk through this with you!

Message 15 of 37

That's all correct.  But if you're new to the system it's a little confusing especially if you're swamped with customers,  All I'm saying is newbies should be cautioned about it.

Message 16 of 37

I am a newbie too, and this also happened to me. I basically gave away $142 of Free merchandise. I just had to suck it up as a learning experience.

Message 17 of 37

This happened to me as well.  I wish Square cautioned newbies about this problem.  You can go in and change your settings to not accept cash but then the sale doesn't show up anywhere.

Message 18 of 37

Made a sale 5/19 still no deposit is a cash sale same as credit?

Message 19 of 37
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @Smp

I've moved your post over to this existing thread that touches on this exact situation. 

Unfortunately payments recorded as "Cash" will not be deposited since the funds were supposed to be physically handed to you directly by your customer. 

Since no card was processed, there wouldn't be anything for us to debit or deposit. You'll want to reach out to your customer if you happened to have their contact information so that you can run their card for the right amount. 

Message 20 of 37

Does that also mean the cash transactions entered in report will not be charged the 2%+.10cent fee? Because it was Only a record Not a swip.? Newbie

Message 21 of 37