x

Is the pendo android compatible with the square reader

I am having trouble connecting my square reader with my pendo tablet 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

It's compatible with any android or iOS device that has a 3.5mm headphone jack. If you are connecting the wireless contact reader it will also work with any android or iOS device that has bluetooth.

Message 2 of 8
Super Seller

@Agent929, it isn't that simple at all for the Android devices.  There are lots that don't work with Square.  There are so many variables in chips they use and what version of Bluetooth etc.  Lots of the brand new dirt cheap android tablets use 2-5-year-old chips and operating systems to save money.  And even brand new phones have other incompatibilities with Square.

here is a fairly complete list of compatible devices but not 100% as there are literally dozens of Android tablets and phones coming out each day.  https://squareup.com/compatibility?platform=Android

Message 3 of 8

@VanKalkerFarms I do understand things that are old aren't supported. I'm pretty sure the iPhone 3GS isn't supported by square either. I would think that any somewhat modern device running at least Android 6-7+ would be supported. I guess I should rephrase what I said from "any" to "most".

Message 4 of 8
Super Seller

It isn't just old Android devices, it is a large percentage of even brand new devices that don't work with Square.  If the customer's main reason to buy a phone is to run Square and they want Android then they really need to watch the compatibility list as even flagship phones from Samsung and Google are having issues with Square's software.  It is unfortunate that it is complicated but it is the reality of Square not being able to customize to each different version of Android running on thousands of phones that have minor differences that cause incompatibilities.  Whether that is Square's fault or the astronomical versions of Android devices is up to an individuals choice on where the fault is.

Message 5 of 8

So far I've used it both on the S9+ and Pixel XL 2 (have used it on many other older devices as well) and it's worked fine. I definately don't want to be involved in controversy here, but the app works fine on most devices in the US that are sold by reputable brick and mortor stores. I can definitely see I'm not needed on the square forums. Have a good day.

Message 6 of 8
Super Seller

Everyone is welcome to share here, I just don't want someone buying a phone to use with Square and then finding out it isn't compatible or has glitches with the Square POS software, the answer is way more complicated than Square works with all Android and iOS phones.  If it were that simple this forum would have way fewer posts on issues with the app and phone compatibility.  there are phones from all the major carriers that either have issues or don't connect via Bluetooth or even some that the app won't start on from name brands like Motorola, LG, Samsung, Google, ZTE and more.  the 2 you mention both have issues right now with the latest Android Oreo 8.1 update that doesn't let the app rotate so the customer can sign and to some of the people posting here on this forum that is enough of a dealbreaker to change phones.  

Message 7 of 8

@VanKalkerFarms I just realized that this forum is for many countries, not just the US. My comment from earlier was really aimed at major carrier phones and devices in the US. 

Message 8 of 8