x
Beta Member

Square register processing fees

Seriously, what’s the reason for register having different yet much much higher processing fees than POS for iPad?

Are users just paying extra for the customer facing display?

When will square realize this foolishness and just have the same processing fee?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

How much will I be charged for each person? 

Message 2 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi @candlepins

Thanks for sharing your thoughts around the pricing structure. It's definitely something that we want to keep in mind when making improvements and product changes. 

In regards to the pricing difference between Register and Point of Sale on an iPad, the Register pricing structure takes into account the full solution of hardware and payment types.

The pricing structure results in a more competitive rate for sellers that have high transaction volume and an average transaction size larger than $40.00. 

We look at Square Stand and Square Register as two separate products in which one or the other might fit certain businesses better. 

You can continue to use the Point of Sale app on your smartphone or tablet and have the same transaction fee that you're used to. 

@BetsyGraham1969 I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you provide more details on your question? 

Message 3 of 7
Beta Member

Why not just charge accordingly for the hardware and have a two tiered processing fee? 2.75% under 40 and whatever competitive rate above 40? There’s lots of folks like me who remember the whole muck up with Apple updates making their cash drawer useless, freshkds erratic, app crashing, etc...would love to have a one stop shop where everything is under the same umbrella (i.e square) instead of having to worry about if an Apple update is going to play nice with square and all the peripherals. Did about 475k in credit card sales last year, I know that’s not enormous numbers, but there’s lots of little coffee shops like mine that would also like a one stop shop solution (that is also elegant looking). I just don’t know what type of retailer that processing fee is trying to attract. Handmade medium sized pottery things?Antique shop? 40 Dollar General store? So niche! Open up the fee structure so all us coffeeshop owners and  5-7 dollar average ticket folk can take our iPads back home!

Message 4 of 7
Square Community Moderator

@candlepins That's an excellent idea in regards to pricing broken down by payment amount. I'm not sure how we would implement that, but it makes a ton of sense from a seller perspective. Awesome feedback for me to pass back to our Register team, thank you!

It might be worth reaching out to our CS Team directly so they can grab some information from you to pass on to our Sales team to see if a custom pricing structure might be right for you. I know they're able to evaluate eligibility for some businesses. Depending on a few factors, they might be able to make something work. 

@straycatbrew @Frank828 Thank you both for chiming in as well. Your feedback around the pricing structure is what will contribute to driving change, so I'll definitely push for this and advocate for you all. The Register is a very slick looking setup, so I agree it should be flexible so that it's available to all sellers. Hopefully we can make some improvements around this. 

Message 5 of 7
Beta Member

As another coffee shop, I must agree with the OP.  I dismissed the Square Register immediately because of the pricing discrepancy.  Which is a shame, because in a small food establishment (such as a coffee shop, or fast food environment) the customer facing display is a great verification tool, and a lot more useful than with large dollar purchases.  (Coffee, extra cream, no sugar, add espresso, etc.. lots of options to verify)

So the businesses that would benefit the most from the product are the ones that the pricing is against.

Message 6 of 7
Beta Member

coffee shop here as well.  I was interested in the Register until i saw the fees.  I just recently purchased a new iPad but wished i could have bought the Register.

Message 7 of 7