x

Can I turn an unpaid ticket into an invoice

I have many times a customer comes into our establishment (golf course/bar/restaurant) will purchase items and want to pay latter in the week/month. Is there a way to turn a open ticket into an invoice?

how do I take partial payments on open invoices?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

After posting my question I found out how I can turn an open ticket into an invoice by hitting the charge button and then scrolling down to the bottom of the page and hit the Invoice button.  I then can create an invoice at the end of the night.  

I have memberships for my golf course that are paid over time. I am wondering if this "work around" will work for my members who want to pay over time.  Example my season membership is $465/year.  I would like to set up each of my members who want to pay over time into a recurring invoice.  I would make up the rule that they will be invoiced weekly for 20 weeks @ $25/week.  Couldn't I set up an item named "Membership Weekly" and price it at $25 and then bill each customer weekly for the 20 weeks.    At the end of the 20 weeks the debt would be satsified with interest.  Does this make sence and would it work?

Message 2 of 10
Admin

@gouvgolf Thanks for sharing your solution! Yes you can set up recurring invoices for your members

One thing to note is that you cannot change the frequency of an Invoice after it has been sent. For example, if you sent an invoice to your customer when they close their bar tab you can't make that invoice part of a recurring series. You would have to create a new Invoice series from the app or your online Square Dashboard. 

I hope that helps but if you have any more questions about this please let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 10

Helen;

Thanks for the reply.  My thoughts were to take the open ticket at the end of the night and turn this into an invoice which I would send to customer.  

The other matter is like paying for something over time.  I do see where Square is not capable of this type of function (Starting a ticket for $400 and having a customer pay over time on that ticket)  So my thought was to bill said customer $25/week until debt satisified and do this by an recurring invoice on a weekly basis.  Would this work or is there a better way to do this?  

Message 4 of 10

Helen;

I also seen another thread by "George" regarding a layaway.  This was his workaround;

1) Create an open ticket for the item

2) When the customer makes a payment on the item, close out the existing open ticket with their payment

3) Then create a new open ticket with the updated balance

4) Follow this process until the item has been paid off

I did not understand how this works.  How do I close out the first ticket (outlined in George #2) without over reporting my income?  Won't I be adding a portion of the first ticket to my sales if I open another ticket (outlined in George #3) and over reporting my sales?  If you understand this please explain.

Message 5 of 10
Super Seller Alumni

I use the invoicing system almost exclusively.  If you are turning this into an invoice, and are taking payments on the invoice, use the discount line at the bottom of the invoice to apply payments.  You can customize the discount to read how you like, and select a $$ amount instead of a percentage.  Hope this helps!

Message 6 of 10
Super Seller Alumni

After you have done this, the invoice is still open, and there is still a remaining balance, resend the invoice that has the new total.  Just make sure your invoice due date is set for the day you should receive your last payment.

Message 7 of 10
Admin

@gouvgolf Hmm, this is how I understand George's suggestion: 

1. Open a ticket and add an item, e.g. a $465 membership charge for one month.

2. Add other items golf lesson/lunch to the open ticket.

3. Close out the ticket at the end of the month and charge their card.

4. Start over the next month adding another membership charge as the first item.

I agree the part about an updated balance is confusing. Can you send me a private message with that post so I can edit it? 

However, I think as @ACAcatering recommends (hello! 👋) Square Invoices would help you to manage membership subscriptions. You could set it up recurring Invoices, or charge a card on file, for $465 every month. 

For those members who want to make partial payments towards their membership each month, you could set up their Invoices differently and bill them for a lower amount each week.

Hope this all helps but happy to help with any other questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 8 of 10

Helen;

i know this post is 3 years ago, but I am still trying to accept partial payments for my golf memberships.  I have tried to use invoicing and breaking down the remaining payments in "X" number of payments.  However this does not work for me.  

i would like to use the open ticket idea, but I dont understand how it works.  If I create a open ticket for the $500 membership and the customer only pays $100 how do I close out the open ticket?  In my experience the open ticket has to be totally paid off to close.  So if I closed the ticket with only $100 of the $500 paid wouldnt I be overreporting my sale by $400?

It would be much easier to have an open ticket with the balance due by each customer.  How do I close out the initial Open Ticket with only a partial payment?    Thank you for your help

Message 9 of 10

My Invoice button is Grey and I can not access it? Any idea why that is?

Message 10 of 10