x

Is there any way to suggest donations in the same manner as tipping at the end of the sale?

As a non profit with a shop, it would be lovely for the buyer to be prompted to add a donation in the same manner as tipping is handled.  Is this available or does someone know a work around?

Message 1 of 43
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@dutchessdnn716 - Thanks for helping with this question. 

@debdyer - We don't currently offer the ability to edit the text on the tipping screen, but I can definitely see the value in your request. The only suggestion I can think of is to have the cashier clarify that the tipping screen is for donations. 

I'll be sure to share your feedback with our product liaison team! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

Unfortunatly not. We're in the same boat as a non-profit with a shop, and Square said it's not possible without paying for a custom module. 

Message 2 of 43
Square

Best Answer

@dutchessdnn716 - Thanks for helping with this question. 

@debdyer - We don't currently offer the ability to edit the text on the tipping screen, but I can definitely see the value in your request. The only suggestion I can think of is to have the cashier clarify that the tipping screen is for donations. 

I'll be sure to share your feedback with our product liaison team! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 3 of 43

I'd like to add another voice in support of this. The ability to customize the text to suggest an added donation or even to suggest that they tip/donate enough to cover the cost of the transaction fees would be an extraordinary asset for our organization. 

Message 4 of 43
Square

@POPP - Welcome to the Seller Community! I'll be sure to pass along your feedback as well. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Message 5 of 43

As the director of a non-profit in a similar situation, I am definitely in support of being able to customize the text so that we can better utilize the tipping feature for donations. 

Message 6 of 43
Square

Welcome to the Community, @Bastroprescue. We'll be sure to update here if anything changes!

Message 7 of 43
Super Seller Alumni

I'd also like to add my voice in support of this.  As a non-profit attraction, we don't accept tips for our employees...but we definitely ask for donations.  It would be great if we had the option of changing the term 'tip' to 'donation' with suggested amounts.  Or even the ability to just round up the order to the nearest dollar.  I know we'd see increase throughput in donations if this was an option.

Message 8 of 43

This is also a VERY HELPFUL feature and it's concerning that I can do this at my local grocery store self check out and still not with Square.  Having to ask for a donation at the end of a transaction is much more intrusive that putting the ability and responsibility on the customer.  

Honesly there sholud also be a separate Square app just for "self serve" donating.

Message 9 of 43
Square Community Moderator

@jjgard  @tpfenner Thanks for expressing the interest and providing your feedback about this. 

It seems this feature request has been picking up momentum amongst sellers lately, so we'll pass this over to our Product Team and hopefully they're able to come up with a solution for you in the near future. 

As soon as we have something new to share, we'll let the community know!

Message 10 of 43

I would like to add my voice to those requesting a way to modify the tip notice to donations. We are an all volunteer organization. Many of our volunteers don't feel comfortable asking customers for a donation. It would be wonderful to have a way to let the screen ask for us.

Message 11 of 43

I run a nonprofit bike shop and would like to add my support to this. Having Suggested donations would be an incredible feature for us!

Message 12 of 43

Square should attempt to implement a Charitable donation collection. My idea on how this would work is: The merchant would decide what Non Profit organization they would like to support from a list of pre approved Non Profits that have set up a direct deposit account with square. Once this is set up on the merchants POS, a banner will pop up during transactions much like the tip option already does. Customers would then have the opportunity to decline, choose from a pre determined percentage or a specific amount to donate. Donations would go straight to the Non profit, never touching the merchants account or reflecting in their books. this would also avoid the merchant from paying additional fees for that portion of the transaction. At this point square would have some internal decisions to make but they could either pocket a portion of the transaction before it goes to the Non profit as they already do with merchants or they could waive fees and write it off as a charitable donation in their own books. 

One thing this would hinge on is Square either accepting reputable Non Profits or thoroughly screening applicants before they are set up to receive donations. While this may be one of the tougher portions of this process I think it would be well worth the energy.

If square implemented this option they may be one of Americas largest Charitable Organizers a good bit of PR that could help the company sustain their growth going forward. There could be a variety of additional features that could be added like allowing merchants to match donations and so on.

I run an outdoor related company and I know my customers would love to donate to Ducks Unlimited, BC Wild Life Federation or one of the dozens of hard working Non Profit agencies that operate in my area.

Let me know what you folks think but if I was Square Management this would be a no brainer, they already have most of the infrastructure in place.

Message 13 of 43
Alumni

Welcome back to the Seller Community, @AidanC 🎣 

This is currently considered a feature request - thanks for sharing with us how you envision this coming to life!

I've moved your post over to this thread where others are interested in seeing a donation option at the end of checkout on their Point of Sale. You may also be interested in following this similar thread. We'll be sure to drop an update in either if we have one to share.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 14 of 43

@EJ_ any news?  I've been watching this thread for a while and we would REALLY like to deploy this feature too.  For our retail/non-profit combo.  I added a comment over in the "feature request" thread that was started but I see there is a lot more chatter over here 🙂

Message 15 of 43

We are a non-profit sports fieldhouse that uses square to charge for different events and we would also like this feature very much.  Please support modifying it to a donation field.  Thank you. 

Message 16 of 43

Thanks for sharing your interest in this @gcyaa

If anything changes we'll chime back in and update everyone. 

Message 17 of 43

I was reached out over 6 months ago saying that this was being considered. I haven’t hear anything since because I assume Square as been working on their new POS system. I hope this is revisited soon. Until then I no longer use square for donations. 

Square red I feel is missing out on an obvious opportunity that is clearly needed. 

Tastfully asking for donations is a very important part of our nonprofits potential revenue. 

Message 18 of 43

@ShapeCleveland This is good to know for our Payments team to take back as feedback for donations and non-profit use. 

Hopefully we can get something in the works for you all in the near future. 

Message 19 of 43

A donation button feature would be a big benefit to our non-profit.  Hope Square can make this happen soon.

Message 20 of 43

I would also like to voice my support for a feature like this. It seems like a no-brainer feature that would benefit so many of your customers.

Message 21 of 43