x

Cash management on the Square Terminal?

there isn't a cash management button under settings on the Square Terminal.  do I need to turn it on? I want to track starting cash and ending cash after transactions.  Why doesn't the Square Terminal have a cash management option?

Message 1 of 39
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

🎉 Update: Cash Drawer Management is now available on Square Terminal. You can now track your cash sales and manage your cash drawer directly from Square Terminal. 

We know that for some businesses managing cash may not be top of mind right now, as many business are implementing contactless payments, but I wanted to let everyone in this thread know this feature is available. Thank you everyone for your patience!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Super Seller

Square Terminal currently doesn't support Cash drawer management.  I saw a post shortly after the release of the product that said it should be coming soon, but I don't know what that means timeframe wise.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5152

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5326-square-point-of-sale-features-by-mobile-device

Message 2 of 39

I hope so, I purchased two for my businesses and I was so excited about the counter space I was gaining that I Gave my old stands IPad away 😒 not knowing this I did not see any literature indicating this! 

Message 3 of 39
Admin

Hello! I just wanted to share a workaround to balance a cash drawer by hand if you're using Square Terminal: 

1. At the start of your day, record the starting cash amount in your drawer.
  2. At the end of your day, download a CSV file of your payment history from your online Square Dashboard
  3. Subtract cash sales, refunds, or cash paid in/out from your starting cash amount and record the balance.
  4. Count the cash in your drawer. If the actual cash amount in the drawer is equal to the balance you calculated from your CSV, then the drawer is in balance.

Cash Management is still only supported with the Square app on iPads and Android tablets and we'll update this thread this changes in future. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 39

Hello,

Is there any update on adding this feature? Can I send in a feature request to get this added? I also purchased two of the Square Terminals and want to be able to manage a cash drawer too.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 39
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @SQERS! Good to hear from you again. Thanks for jumping in here.

No update to share yet. I will make sure it make it vocal here on this thread when there is news to share. For the time being, I would reference back to this workaround when managing your cash for Square Terminal. 

Thanks for hanging tough! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 39
Admin

Best Answer

🎉 Update: Cash Drawer Management is now available on Square Terminal. You can now track your cash sales and manage your cash drawer directly from Square Terminal. 

We know that for some businesses managing cash may not be top of mind right now, as many business are implementing contactless payments, but I wanted to let everyone in this thread know this feature is available. Thank you everyone for your patience!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 7 of 39
Beta Member

Is there any way for the square terminal to open a cash drawer with cash sales?

Message 8 of 39
Beta Member

I'm chiming in to also request this feature for the terminal. The workaround is definitely doable, but the whole purpose of having POS technology as useful as Square is to not have to do things like manually reconciling a cash drawer.

Message 9 of 39
Admin

Hey @SBG700.

Thanks for resurfacing this, and noting your interest in this feature. When we have an update, we will post it in this thread!

Thanks for your patience. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 10 of 39

Still hoping Square fixes this cash management issue quickly. We purchased two terminals and were looking forward to using Square Terminals for all of our transactions during the busy Christmas season. It seems like it should be a somewhat easy fix since you already have the capability for it on the Square Stands.  Any updates would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Karen

Message 11 of 39
Admin

Thank you Karen @lovemybackyard. We'll let the Terminal team know that this is an important feature for your business — especially when you're busy!

We'll post any updates in this thread to notify you if or when Cash Management is available with Square Terminal. We appreciate your patience in the meantime! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 12 of 39
Beta Member

I recently switched all my Square Stands to Square Terminals after consulting the Square rep who failed to mention that there is no cash management on the terminals. As a retail business this is important. Hope you come up with the solution soon. I’m about to return the terminals. 

Message 13 of 39
Alumni

@sunilm - Thanks for stopping by!

Really sorry for the miscommunication you received and I totally feel your frustration. We strive to be consistent in providing our Sellers the most accurate info about our product features. Sorry we dropped the ball on this one and we'll be sure to do better next time. 

Cash Management using the Square Terminal is a top request the Hardware Team is currently tracking. Nothing to report yet on when this will be developed but keep an eye out on this thread, as we'll post updates when we hear more. 

Justin
Message 14 of 39

so it seems that the sellers like officeworks dont understand the new features like cash managment. i run a sports field and canteen. i had a stand get water damaged and was convinced to upgrade rather than replace mainly on the better interest rates. for what i do, cash managment is essential in my business and i assumes when i bought the hub to run the printer and cash drawer from the previous stand it should have been mentioned there.

should i assume its more for a cafe or similar where you can take the terminal to people?

Message 15 of 39

Hey @tractor!

I'm a little confused on what you're asking based on the wording. 

From what I got- you had a Stand before but now you have the Terminal and you were wanting to use the old accessories with the Terminal too?

The Terminal is used by all kinds of businesses! But as @VanKalkerFarms stated above in the first comment- it looks like this is something to come. 

Ashley C
Message 16 of 39

2 problems, 1, i was told the terminal would do everything the stand did just a smaller screen. 2, The hub does not connect a printer but does connect the barcode scanner to the terminal.

my issue is i have to give my staff a key to the cash drawer, and cant “manage” cash. I was told the terminal would run the drawer through the hub and it just wont

Message 17 of 39

@tractor You have the USB hub for the Terminal right?

I just reached out to the hardware team and they said the cash drawer should work with it as long as it's a USB cash drawer.

Ashley C
Message 18 of 39

The usb hub only recognises the barcode scanner, even when i swap it for a printer that works on another square device 

Message 19 of 39

@tractor Is your cash drawer a USB cash drawer or does it connect to a printer?

The USB hub for the Terminal will only work with a USB cash drawer so that's why I was asking in my last post!

Ashley C
Message 20 of 39

the reason i am having problems is square doesn't offer a USB cash drawer for sale in store at officeworks, i bought the cash drawer and printer from them in store...ergo NOT USB!! there is nowhere else on this continent to buy them in store except officeworks

the other problem is officeworks sold this saying it WORKS out of the box, not that i had to drop a grand on something they didnt sell.... and at the end of the day non cash management so i'll return this and ask for a square stand instead.

meanwhile square wont reply to an email nor answer a call untill tuesday due to the long weekend.

Message 21 of 39