x

How can I do a partial refund?

Hello! I could not find an answer to this question.

I would like to make a refund to a purchase of product as my customer is shipping it back. 

How can I refund only for the product? Shipping should not be refunded.

Let me know the step by step instruction.

Thanks!

JapanSuite

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Though we don't have the ability to process refunds by line item, you do have the ability to refund a portion of your sale. You will still be able to retain the shipping cost while still refunding your item cost. You can complete a refund from the Point of Sale app or from your online Square Dashboard

To refund a payment from the Square app:

1. Tap the three horizontal lines > Transactions
  2. Scroll through your payment history, search for the payment using the receipt or card number, or swipe the card used for the payment. 
  3. Tap on the payment you'd like to refund > then tap Issue Refund. If you need to refund a partial amount of the total sale, enter the amount you wish to refund > tap Next.
  4. Select a reason for the refund > Refund
  5. Tap Done to return to the Transaction detail and tap the back arrow (top left).

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Go to ACTIVITY, find the purchase, hit ISSUE REFUND, enter the amount you want refunded and click OK. Voilà

Message 2 of 14

Thank you, but I cannot find activity. It's not in sales area? Square doesn't have search, I believe.

Message 3 of 14
Square

Best Answer

Though we don't have the ability to process refunds by line item, you do have the ability to refund a portion of your sale. You will still be able to retain the shipping cost while still refunding your item cost. You can complete a refund from the Point of Sale app or from your online Square Dashboard

To refund a payment from the Square app:

1. Tap the three horizontal lines > Transactions
  2. Scroll through your payment history, search for the payment using the receipt or card number, or swipe the card used for the payment. 
  3. Tap on the payment you'd like to refund > then tap Issue Refund. If you need to refund a partial amount of the total sale, enter the amount you wish to refund > tap Next.
  4. Select a reason for the refund > Refund
  5. Tap Done to return to the Transaction detail and tap the back arrow (top left).
Message 4 of 14

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: How can I refund a portion of a credit cared payment?

How can I refund a portion of a credit card payment?

Message 5 of 14
Super Seller

Message 6 of 14

Hi Kelly,

I am trying to do a partial refund, however, when I put in the amount and reason I can't issue the refund.

Is there something I am missing?

Suzanne Steven

Message 7 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hey @SuzyStevens,

It sounds like you're following the right steps to issue a partial refund. Has the transaction in question been refunded already? Do you use API to accept payments? Looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Message 8 of 14

I would like to issue refunds for custom amounts. Here's the situation:

Customers purchase glass bottled milk for $7.00 ($5.00 milk price + $2.00 bottle deposit). This is listed as a single item in our register - "Whole Milk: $7.00." When they bring the milk bottle back, they will get a $2.00 refund. However, they don't always want to make another purchase - they sometimes just want to return the milk bottle and get $2.00 back. We usually take $2.00 cash out of the register and give it to them, but we do not know how to record this in the system. Please advise how we can do this. Thanks. 

Message 9 of 14

Hey there, @caffedamore

Thank you for reaching out! 

I moved your post over to a thread with a similar topic. There is a Best Answer by Kelly with instructions on doing the partial refund. 

Please reach back out if you were looking for something different. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 14

Customer order is delivered. I need to return partial amount instead I returned entire amount. How do I get this amount back before it is credited to customer bank?

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 14

Hey @thanda

I moved your post to a thread with helpful tips on issuing a partial refund. 

Check out the Best Answer by Kelly 

Thank you!

Kassi
Message 12 of 14

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Sales tax for 2 states charged - I need to refund one. How do I do that?

Somehow, a sale had the sales tax for 2 different states charged on one sale. I need to refund the customer for one of those states. I don't see a way to do that. Please advise!

Message 13 of 14
Alumni

Hi @loominarias

Issue a partial refund for the the state's tax amount mistakenly charged. Steps on this thread I merged you to. 

Justin
Message 14 of 14