x

'no sale' Was this a bug?

This weekend I lost the bars on my phone partway through the day (weather change I think was the cause).

I tried to charge a customer's card but got a 'no sale' instead of 'accepted' in the app.

That happened twice before I realized the off line sales allowed button was off. I turned it on and the next charge was 'accepted'.

When I got home I found the customer had been charged three times even though two of the charges said 'no sale' when they were processed.

I immediately refunded the two  excess charges but of course the customer was unhappy and left negative feedback after  I had processed the refunds (as if she didn't see them at that time). She is all happy now after a short message session back and forth but I'm confused.

So when the app says 'no sale' is that supposed to mean the sale still went through or not? How could I tell when this happened that the sale went through other than by seeing the transactions after I got back to where I had service?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

I'm not sure where you are seeing a "No Sale" screen after swiping a card and attempting to charge it.

Message 2 of 6

It was the point in the app when you normlly would have seen 'accepted' the screen instead was blank with a 'no sale' at the top of the screen

Message 3 of 6

Thinking back it may be the keypad came back with the no sale at the top without any accepted or you're all set screens.

So it really did not look like the transaction went through at all. It was obviously different from the normal way the app works.

Message 4 of 6

Hello @NancyH

If I had to take a guess it sounds like the first two charges processed quickly once you swiped them. Then it skipped the receipt screen which means they already had an email address connected to their card. 

You can always check the Transaction tab on your Point of Sale app to see if a sale was completed. 🙂

Message 5 of 6

Thanks - I've never seen it process like that when I had a connection and I did have offline turned off.

Message 6 of 6