x

Is the Samsung Galaxy J7 compatible with Square?

The Samsung Galaxy J7 runs the required version of the Android OS, however it's not listed in either the compatible nor incompatible devices. Will it work with Square?  Thanks.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

It doesn't look like we've had a chance to test this device out yet with our readers. From my experience, they do tend to work well with Samsung devices, but you'd have to try it out to know for sure. Having said that, in general, an Android device would need to meet these requirements to be compatible:

• Google Android 4.0 or higher
  • A 3.5mm headset jack with microphone (audio jack adaptors are not supported)
  • Location services enabled
  • Access to Google Play Store

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square

Best Answer

It doesn't look like we've had a chance to test this device out yet with our readers. From my experience, they do tend to work well with Samsung devices, but you'd have to try it out to know for sure. Having said that, in general, an Android device would need to meet these requirements to be compatible:

• Google Android 4.0 or higher
  • A 3.5mm headset jack with microphone (audio jack adaptors are not supported)
  • Location services enabled
  • Access to Google Play Store

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 7

I have the same problem. My sky pro matches all the compatibility requirements but everytimr I plug in the chip reader it restarts my phone. Can someone please help

Message 3 of 7
Admin

@Asheberrysweet I checked the Square Device Compatibility site for you and it looks like the Samsung Galaxy Sky phone isn't supported with the Square Chip Card reader  yet (that site is updated frequently as we add support for more devices).

In the meantime the Contactless and Chip Card reader and the magstripe reader are compatible with that device, so you have some other options. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 7

Hi 

I have the Samsung J7  when i insert the reader it says its ready but when you swipe a card it does nothing so i would say no it does not work with the J7 even with location services turned on and running right version of android.

Message 5 of 7

Works just fine on my Samsung J7 on T-mobile.

Message 6 of 7

Yes, it will work, but installation is a little tricky.  If you just launch the Google Play app from your phone's installation, the Square App installation doesn't work.  It just tells you to try again, and it still doesn't download.  To get it installed, launch the Chrome browser on your phone.  Then from within the Chrome browser, launch the Google Play app.  Find the Square App and hit Install.  It should download and install on your phone.  At this point you are all set.  Once the Square app was installed on our J7V phone, we were successful in pairing it with a Square contactless and chip Reader and charging purchases to chip cards.

Message 7 of 7