x

Square Chip Card Reader not working properly

So my Reader which takes Swipe or Chip will only take a manual entry which of course costs more in Square Fees.  When I go into setting it says (1) device connected by when I open it is says connecting.

Any thoughts

Thanks,

Chris

Message 1 of 106
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

So sorry to hear about the issues! With a little troubleshooting, we should be able to get you up and running. 

To get started, please try out these tips from our Support Center article: Square Chip Card Reader Tips and Troubleshooting

• Remove any case or cover from your device. Some cases prevent the reader from plugging in completely.
  • Update to the latest version of the Square app.
  • Make sure you’re using a supported device. Check out our Device Comptability page to double check.
  • Unplug the reader and plug it back in while the Square app is open.
  • Delete and reinstall the Square app. See Apple or Google support for instructions.
  • Plug the reader into a power source, leave it for 1-5 minutes, and then plug it back into the device. 
  • If you see “Please try inserting again, chip could not be read,” remove the card and insert it again until you hear a click. Keep the card in place until the payment completes.
  • If you see the message “Reader Damaged,” the reader is broken and you’ll need to request a new one.
  • If you’re using an Apple device, make sure the audio volume balance is exactly in the middle. To check, visit your device’s settings > tap General > Accessibility. Scroll down to the hearing section and move the “audio volume balance” directly in the middle.
  • If you’re using an Android device, make sure that any audience enhancement features (such as One M8, Clari-fi, or Beats Bass Boost) are turned off – they can disrupt the connection between your reader and device.
  • If you see the error message, “Register needs VoiceOver to be turned off,” go to your device settings and tap General > Accessibility > VoiceOver and turn off VoiceOver. This may also be “S Voice” or “Talkback” on your device. If that doesn’t do the trick, turn off Mono Audio from your device settings.

If you’ve tried all the troubleshooting steps and you’re still having issues, you can go ahead and submit a warranty claim.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 106
105 REPLIES 105

I'm having a problem with my chip reader, too! I can't get it to "talk" to my phone. Do I have to be on a wifi network? 

Message 64 of 106

I have Wi-Fi with mine, have a Samsung galaxy S4 but no matter what I try cannot get it to confirm credit card so I hand enter the info. 

Message 65 of 106
Alumni

@zooluone @Lookwhatifound - check out the troubleshooting tips listed on the first page of this thread and let us know if those work for you. Apologies for the delayed response, but we still want to make sure everything is working smoothly for you. 

Message 66 of 106

We have purchased Square and it worked fine for the first few days but it hasn't been connecting leading us to getting a new device and a few days into it, again with the SAME ISSUE. It is so difficult to contact someone and there is no contact number. Every support page I go leads to another support page. The device is bad enough there is no one to get help from we will look for another company that can do the job. Disappointed.

Message 67 of 106
Alumni

Hey there @angelaoh69 - that doesn't sound normal at all and definitely not the type of experience we want you to have. 

It sounds like you are using the Contactless + Chip Card reader. If that's the case, please make sure to work through the troubleshooting steps to get to the bottom of what's going on. 

If you are unable to get the reader back up and running, our Support Team can help you by email or phone. Let me know if you need help and I'll make sure you get it. 

Message 68 of 106

I am having the same problem where the card with a chip is not being read. I have narrowed it down to debit cards. Whenever someone pays with a debit card the chip reader doesn't work, and then the mag stripe reader tells us to dip the chip. Only manual entry works for debit card. Anyone else see this pattern?

Message 69 of 106

That sounds odd @bloodyrosebtq, have you tried resetting your reader by holding down the button on the bottom for 20 seconds? 

Message 70 of 106

@Chad Yes. We've tried resetting like that. Just every time a debit card comes in, we can't swipe it. Has to be manually entered. This has been ever since we started using Square in Novemeber 2016.

Message 71 of 106

Interesting @bloodyrosebtq, I recommend giving our Support Team a call. They can take a look at your account and see if it is indeed just debit cards that are having this issue. I've never hear of something like this happening before. 

Message 72 of 106

@Chad yes, it's interesting. But, we've actually had a couple customers tell us about the swipe thing because they experienced problems at other shops using their debit card with chip. We thought it just wasn't supported yet.

Message 73 of 106
Beta Member

I am having the same issue from last week

Message 74 of 106
Alumni

Hey @kamesha - Really sorry if the reader hasn't been working as intended. Let's get you in touch with our Support team directly so that they can help you investigate this.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 75 of 106
Beta Member

It's ok, it started to work again

Thanks 

Message 76 of 106

I've been using the chip reader for a while now but all of a sudden it's getting stuck at the point where it says securing connection. I've tried uninstalling the reader and reinstalling it and I've tried doing the same thing with the Ap and it still getting stuck at that point any help?

Thanks Aimee

Message 77 of 106
Alumni

Hi @Aimee1251, thanks for posting in the community and I'm sorry to hear your reader isn't working right. Thanks for trying to uninstall and reinstall too. Would you mind taking a look at the troubleshooting steps on the first page of this thread? Let us know how it works out and if you have more questions.  

Message 78 of 106

Thought I would pass this on, and this seemed to be the best place. Yesterday at a farmers market, I took a chip card, ran the transaction, and gave the card back. Everything went through fine. But the reader thought there was still a card in the reader, and would not let me run any more transactions on my register (I use it for cash sales too - to keep track of sales). I finally had to delete the reader and use my swiper instead. Had another market this morning, and was having the same issue, even after doing a hard reset of the reader. Finally realized it was not a SOFTWARE problem, it was a HARDWARE problem. Stuck a loyalty card in the reader and removed it, and then it was fine. Had to do this a couple of more times during the market. Clearly there is some spring or something in there that was stuck and wasn't going back into place once the card was removed. Just thought I'd pass this on in case it happens to anyone else. Threw me for quite a while. Seems to be working fine now.

Message 79 of 106

I just received a replacement for my magstrip and chip reader. I returned the first one I had because it didn't work. It took several minutes plugged into the phone with a little orange notification at the top of the Square app saying "establishing secure connection" or something like that, then it finally said "reader connected," but when I tried to use the chip reader, it would take several minutes saying it was trying, and not to remove the card, and eventually it would say "reader failed" or it would go on and on until I gave up and pulled out the chip reader and just used the old magstrip-only reader I got earlier (which works fine and quickly). Now I've tried the new one, and it has the same problem. I've done all the troubleshooting tips. The Phone I use is a Moto-G, Android version 5.1. What would you recommend? Thank you.

Message 80 of 106
Admin

I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble you've had with your chip card reader @MelJoy!

I think you may experiencing this because your phone is running on Android 5.1, which is an older version of the software. Updating the operating software on your phone should resolve this issue. Please don't hesitate to reach out again if you're still not able to use the reader. Happy to help!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 81 of 106

I’ve had two brand new readers - both of them have never worked because they show to be “damaged”

this happens very time I get a brand new reader

just about fed up!

Message 82 of 106

I have a Samsung S7 with the square reader that takes magstripe and chip cards. It plugs into the headphone jack of the phone. It worked fine for 1 year, now it will not connect. It says "establishing network connection", but the connection never succeeds. I tried all of the troubleshooting ideas, even uninstalling and reinstalling the app,

but it still didn't work. I figured the reader was bad, so I ordered a new one, but it does the same thing. Any ideas?

Message 83 of 106
Alumni

Hey @russell1 - Sorry to hear about the trouble. If none of the steps in Sean's answer work for you then I encourage you to open a case with our Customer Success team who can take a closer look for you and determine the cause of the issue.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 84 of 106