x
Square Community Moderator

Selling Safely: Identity Verification and Information Request Forms

As most of you know, in order to accept card payments with Square, Sellers need to provide some information to verify their identity. This Identity Verification only takes a few minutes and is most likely the only verification Sellers will have to go through.

However, there are instances when our Account Services Team will reach out for additional information. Below is a breakdown of the two and the key differences between them.

Identity Verification

• Completed during account creation and requests the Social Security Number, date of birth, and full name for each potential Seller. This information allows our Compliance team to perform necessary OFAC and Sanctions screening at the time of onboarding.

• Once complete, Sellers are informed immediately whether or not their application to accept card payments with Square has been approved.

For your own privacy and security, we do not have access or visibility to the information that is entered to verify a sellers identity. This Support Center article touches on the most common issues when signing up: Signup Troubleshooting

Information Request Forms

• An additional review process that not every Seller will encounter. Our Account Services Team will reach out to learn more about a business or payment to ensure a safe environment for both Buyers and Sellers. This does not mean that either party has done anything wrong.

• In addition to a notification banner in the Square Dashboard, Sellers will see an email from our Account Services Team (sent to the email associated to the Square Account). This email includes all of the information needed to move forward with the review. 

• The Information Request includes free-form text, and the more information provided, the better.

• The review process will not start until the Information Request Form has been completed, so it’s best to do this immediately.

Once the requested information and documentation is submitted, the review process should finish within 1-2 business days. 

It’s important to remember that our Support Team does not have visibility into Account Services cases, so while they'd be more than happy to help with any general account trouble or questions, they won't be able to help with anything related to the review. 

We know this is frustrating, inconvenient, and it’s a process we’re working to improve. However, this is a necessary process in order to make sure Sellers and Buyers are all safe and protected.

This isn’t our favorite thing to put Sellers through,  so if you happen to be one of the very few sellers that receive an Information Request, work with us and we’ll get you taken care of swiftly.

Check out the first installment of our Selling Safely Series here: 

Selling Safely: Interview with Connor, Square Account Services Department

Message 1 of 37
1 Verified Answer
EJ_
Verified Answer

Selling Safely: Identity Verification and Information Request Forms

As most of you know, in order to accept card payments with Square, Sellers need to provide some information to verify their identity. This Identity Verification only takes a few minutes and is most likely the only verification Sellers will have to go through.

However, there are instances when our Account Services Team will reach out for additional information. Below is a breakdown of the two and the key differences between them.

Identity Verification

• Completed during account creation and requests the Social Security Number, date of birth, and full name for each potential Seller. This information allows our Compliance team to perform necessary OFAC and Sanctions screening at the time of onboarding.

• Once complete, Sellers are informed immediately whether or not their application to accept card payments with Square has been approved.

For your own privacy and security, we do not have access or visibility to the information that is entered to verify a sellers identity. This Support Center article touches on the most common issues when signing up: Signup Troubleshooting

Information Request Forms

• An additional review process that not every Seller will encounter. Our Account Services Team will reach out to learn more about a business or payment to ensure a safe environment for both Buyers and Sellers. This does not mean that either party has done anything wrong.

• In addition to a notification banner in the Square Dashboard, Sellers will see an email from our Account Services Team (sent to the email associated to the Square Account). This email includes all of the information needed to move forward with the review. 

• The Information Request includes free-form text, and the more information provided, the better.

• The review process will not start until the Information Request Form has been completed, so it’s best to do this immediately.

Once the requested information and documentation is submitted, the review process should finish within 1-2 business days. 

It’s important to remember that our Support Team does not have visibility into Account Services cases, so while they'd be more than happy to help with any general account trouble or questions, they won't be able to help with anything related to the review. 

We know this is frustrating, inconvenient, and it’s a process we’re working to improve. However, this is a necessary process in order to make sure Sellers and Buyers are all safe and protected.

This isn’t our favorite thing to put Sellers through,  so if you happen to be one of the very few sellers that receive an Information Request, work with us and we’ll get you taken care of swiftly.

Check out the first installment of our Selling Safely Series here: 

Selling Safely: Interview with Connor, Square Account Services Department

36 REPLIES 36
Square

👍

Message 2 of 37

My verification has taken over 48hours.. this is embarrassing. My customer thinks im trying to scam her because your company refuses to release the funds i have earned. After i get this transfer resolved i will be switching to a more professional business.

Message 3 of 37

@Sedrick Sorry to hear about the trouble. however as mentioned in the original post, these types of reviews can take 1-2 business days, which doesn't include weekends or holidays. 

I'll reach out to the team handling your case and hopefully they can provide an update shortly. Keep an eye out for their communication. 

Message 4 of 37

I do not see a button or link so that I can become verified as much as possible. Did I already become verified when I signed up a few years ago? I do not use Square much, but hope to begin using it regularly.

Message 5 of 37
Square

Hi @Bradford22. We don't do any sort of pre-verification. If for some reason we do need to review a seller's account, we'll reach out directly. You should be good to go! 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 6 of 37

I agree!!! I will be switching as well. There was not any information that this could happen and hold up a transaction. I even called and talked to a human yesterday to verify that everything was good to go. All verifications and requested documents should be done before an account is set up. This is absolutely embarrasing and unprofessional. Now when I call and enter my code I can only get a recording. I feel like I'm getting scammed!!

Message 7 of 37

Why would a seller encouter this verification process out of the blue? I've been using Square for a long time and was stunned (and horrified) to receive the email letting me know that all deposits are on hold until this issue is resolved. What happens if my customers make a payment? Does that money ever come to me? What if my FEIN, Articles of Organization, and invoices aren't enough "verification" of a legitimate business, and the process is on hold forever? Most importantly: WHY is there NO PHONE NUMBER that you can call when this happens? After this unexpected stunt, I feel incredibly unsafe as a business owner to use Square's services if it is habitual to simply shut down an account because Square feels like it, with zero warning. I would have happily provided all of the information immediately upon request, I see no reason why there should be an account shut down without at least contacting the owner of the company, first. If you would like to improve your system, how about you ask first, and then if the Seller chooses to ignore your requests - THEN shut down the accounts until you receive the information requested. How is this benefitting anyone?

Message 8 of 37

Please call me and tell me how it went I really need my fund out of this app for urgent payments 

Message 9 of 37

I thought I had my account set up right for my new business,  and I sold some of my businesses inventory to a family member but now it's saying I need to verify my account and I already sold some of my product and the card was approved at the time and it says the money should be deposited today but I'm afraid that it won't go through and I'll be out several decked out desktops and other product as well.  Is there anyway to fix this? 

Message 10 of 37

@Dtravis81 Best thing you can do is complete the steps of the verification process. As mentioned above, the review process will not start until the Information Request Form has been completed, so it’s best to do this immediately. 

Message 11 of 37

I use Square for personal use but have it set up to display a business name for privacy purposes. I was told that my personal name and address show on the other person's bank account after a transaction instead of the business name I used for privacy. Is this normal?

Message 12 of 37

@Helix That sounds strange. So long as you have a listed business name, your business name should show up on your customers bank statements.

When a customer makes a purchase from you, their credit card statement shows the characters SQ*, the merchant’s name or business name, and the business type. Charges can appear on their statements in a few different ways. For example:

• A business classified as a bakery, with the business name Sweet Dozen, will appear as “SQ* SWEET DOZEN BAKERY.”
  • A business classified as a bakery, with no business name, will appear as “SQ* BAKERY JOHN SMITH”
  • An individual, with no business classification, selling baked goods will appear as “SQ* JOHN SMITH.”

Message 13 of 37

This verification process seems outlandish in the middle of a huge catering event, how do I know if the funds for deposits have cleared before I perform services for client? I cannot purchase supplies to perform service since my deposits aren't being processed 

Message 14 of 37

@patrice So long as you follow all instructions through the emails that you receive, the team handling your case will be in contact with you and will provide updates once the review is complete within the timeframe mentioned above. 

Message 15 of 37

Is there any way to expedite the processes. I was notified one day before i have insurances and other bills due. Without my money i can not pay. This is ridiculous. As a new company starting out this could really screw me over

Message 16 of 37

Hello @Derejgreene9000, I understand that going through the verification process can be stressful. Once you've submitted your documents to the Account Services Team they will reach out to you with an update in 1-2 business days. 

Thanks for sharing your feedback regarding the turnaround time. I will make sure to pass it along to the Account Services Team. 

Message 17 of 37

Please tell me how to call? Why is my account not eligible for phone help? I need a customer code. Thank you.

Also how long are payments deferred? I can't get in touch with anyone! What is going on?

Message 18 of 37

WARNING 

THIS IS WHAT THEY DO !!!!!!

Message 21 of 24

enawindow
enawindow

@Chad@EJ_@Im just wondering why is this such a huge problem? And if you read your review it says that it has been going on for years and if anyone complaints yall just deactivate there account and keep there money? Can I get an honest answer at least?

Message 22 of 24

EJ_

@enawindow As mentioned previously, this happens to a very small percentage of sellers. 

Like the original post mentions, most sellers will never see this type of review. 

@Angeevm43 is  great example of getting through the review process quickly after providing the requested information and following instructions. 

Going through a review process doesn't mean your account will be deactivated. 

To answer your question, sellers don't get their accounts deactivated due to complaints. When accounts are deactivated, sellers are informed via email of the reason, with reference to a section of the Square Seller agreement or Squares Terms of Service

Message 23 of 24

enawindow
enawindow

Funny because right after I posted this I got this email 

Hello,

Thank you for your email. Square’s Point of Sale service is designed to process payments for the sale of goods or services. It is not designed to process person-to-person transfers, or to facilitate payments between companies owned by the same individuals/groups of individuals or within companies. Such activity includes swiping your own credit or debit card, or those of family members or friends or associates. This activity is prohibited, and will lead to account deactivation. Per Square’s Payment Terms, Square may also opt to hold, for a given amount of time, any funds pending that derive from such activity. 

WHAT! !!! designed to process payments for goods and services I sent them a copy of my DBA show I am a sole owner of my company ,Tax permit,and a completed w9 forum with my EIN and signature and copys of my bank transaction without being asked just to verify I am a 100% lagit business and what I do I own a window cleaning company /house cleaning company now I don't know about other business but expecially in small towns and even big citys at some point you are going to do business with someone you know an associate a friend a family member! so now what? my account is going to be deleted and $180 took by yall because my 76 year old grandma is on my clients list? good luck with your business people 

Message 19 of 37

Verafy them before they start and alert them that they might go into review if these certain problems are not take care of and give them the opportunity to resolve the issue 

Message 20 of 37

@enawindow Please refrain from posting your personal information in the Community, as it's a public forum. 

Collecting and verifying business information before accepting payments is a good idea, however only a small percentage of businesses go through this type of review.

I'll pass your feedback over to the team that's reviewing your account. 

In the meantime, send over the requested information so that team can get your account taken care of. 

Message 21 of 37