x

Basic card reader not working on LG Fiesta II

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Basic card reader not working on a 2 month old LG Fiesta II that worked up until week of 12/20/17

The card reader worked up until the week of Christmas and then stopped reading cards when swiped. Have done all the steps on the troubleshooting list. They have a Bluetooth reader now which would probably be able to work but that seems convenient to need that on one of the busiest weeks of the year. This is a new phone and was only a month old when this started. Sometimes it says the card not charged but hasn't worked since it stopped. Bought a new reader and also had a free one sent and none work. Please help so this does not effect how my customers feel about doing business here. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller

Message 2 of 10

LG Fiesta II. 

Message 3 of 10

Had the same phone before and always worked before then bought the same again and it worked so if its because of the phone that is still being sold because of an update then hopefully a fix can be made in the next update. The reader stopped working without a recent update between when it worked and when it stopped. 

Message 4 of 10

Other devices such as headphones and speaker work using the port used for the reader. 

Message 5 of 10

Waiting on a response if anyone has any suggestions. Not sure if those that answer are square employees or fellow users. Has anyone else had this problem. Do I need to repost the question. I am in no way trying to be rude but I have already called the square customer service number and the only things they came up with was to send another card reader which also was not able to solve the problem and that it was the phone. This is a new phone and all other devices that use the same port work with no problem. The app was uninstalled and reinstalled all appropriate permissions are enabled Bluetooth has been turned off all updates are installed and all other things on the list have been tried. It has been several hours since getting a response and I am hoping to have this resolved as soon as possible. If anyone has any suggestions on what to try next please respond. I look forward to any and all help. Thanks. 

Message 6 of 10

Hello @Gwtflow, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're experiencing with the Square Magstripe Reader. 

The Seller Community is a forum where other Square Sellers can help each other out or even bounce business ideas off each other. The community is moderated by Square Employees like myself. 

I took a quick look at our Device Compatibility page and couldn't find your phone listed. If your phone isn't listed on this page we can't guarantee that it will work with our hardware. So you might need to use a different device that's compatible with the Square Magstripe Reader.  

Message 7 of 10

Thanks for the response Chad. The card reader started reading cards yesterday possibly because of an update. It has been working with this phone and another of the same kind for months and have no plans on buying a new one until it has to be replaced. Hopefully this won't become a problem again because I am otherwise happy using Square. 

Message 8 of 10

I have an LG6, not on the list, but all worked for 2 years until last week. 3 readers tried, no luck.

Message 9 of 10
Admin

@Dallasgirl I'm sorry to hear the reader isn't working with your device any more. These magstripe reader troubleshooting steps might help. However, as the device isn't listed on our Device Compatibility website this means it hasn't been tested by our hardware team and we can't guarantee it will work. That website is updated frequently but I'm sorry for the trouble this is causing in the meantime.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 10 of 10