x

I got scammed by a square seller

I flew into JFK last weekend. I needed to get to LaGuardia. There were several people out front who said they were with uber, and asked where I needed to go, I said Laguardia. He stated the price was between $10-20 (about the same as a cab). So, I took it. When the ride was over, he charged me $80 on square. He said I didnt need to sign anything, and I was done. Evidently he even added a tip. So, I got scammed by a guy who used square. This is mostly my fault for being an idiot. I filed a police report with the port authority, because his actions were illegal.

I can't dispute the charge, according to the card company, because the driver rendered services. I want my money back, but evidently there is no way for a buyer to contact square directly. I at least want square to be aware of this user and review his account. Do I have any options?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

Square is simply the Credit Card processor, just like PayPal or First Data or Merchant one.  You definitely need to Call your credit card company again because they are the ones that you can file a dispute with and can get you your money back.  Call your credit card company till you get someone that will help you.  Services rendered and billed correctly are 2 different things.

Also, anything above $25 in person you have to sign for so he may have signed on the screen for you which isn't a valid payment probably.

Message 2 of 7

Wouldn't Square want to know if a seller is using their services for illegal uses / violating TOS?

Message 3 of 7

As an aside, this is 100% the last time I ever let a credit card of mine be run through a Square card reader on a phone. I figured the company would have a way to alert them.

Message 4 of 7
Alumni

Hey @austrini

I'm really sorry to hear this happened. Like @VanKalkerFarms stated, in this instance Square is the payment processor and all payment processors face situations like this. 

The fastest, most effective way to resolve an issue like this is to dispute the charge with your bank or credit card company. They will then act as your representative and work with us to get to the bottom of this. We need the dispute to be filed in order to take action. 

Apologies for the frustration, and thanks for your understanding.

Message 5 of 7
Beta Member

You would of had the same response from any credit card processor. It's your choice to avoid a square reader, but it makes no sense. 

Message 6 of 7
Beta Member

Uber drivers don't even swipe cards or take cash. You would've just gotten as easily hoodwinked with an old fashioned credit card machine as with an iPhone using square.

Message 7 of 7