x

Feature Request: Bottle by the glass inventory

Feature Request: Bottle by the glass inventory

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Bottle by the glass Inventory

For inventory purposes, when I ring up a glass of wine how can I set it up for it to automatically discount a bottle of wine from the inventory?

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Bottle by the glass inventory

We're happy to announce a new Square for Retail feature: Sell-by Units and Stock Conversion.

Square for Retail Plus subscribers will now be able to sell an item in different units, and track inventory with those units - for instance, sell candles by a case of 12, by a bundle of 6, or by a single candle.

Read the full product update here.

57 Comments
Square Community Moderator

Hi there!

That's an interesting question. There isn't a way to discount a bottle of wine as you sell it by the glass. What you can do is create the bottle of wine as an item with two price points:

-Normal Price

-Discount Price

You would then leave the variant price for "Discount" blank, that way each time you go to sell the discounted bottle of wine you can enter the amount you'll be charging the customer. 

I hope this helps! Perhaps one of your fellow sellers can chime in with some wine selling tips that they use.

How about inventoring wine by the glass and having a variant that consumes 5 glasses?  Your item would be Chardonnay with variants of Bottle or Glass where the Bottle variant will consume 5 glasses and discount the price if it is cheaper by the bottle.  I'm new to square and trying to figure this one out myself.

Hello,

Been working with Square for 4 months now.  Im a small craft beer and wine bar.  I sell wine by the glass and the bottle.  I do 6oz  pours which is 4 glasses of wine per bottle.  Lets say I open a bottle of Merlot and sell a glass of wine, once I sell the remaining 3 glasses of Merlot, I need square to remove that bottle from inventory by 1 (one) bottle.  Is there anyway to do that?  Any feedback would be appreciated!

Hello. 

Did you ever find an answer to your solution? I am in the same position of trying to get inventory to be tracked by bottles but to know be sold by per glass per bottle. Thank you

Hello @BellaBistro @Ashlingcatering! I'm sorry no one followed up with you @CitizenRVA

Currently the ability to deduct glass amounts and then have a bottle of wine or beer removed from the inventory automatically is a feature request. I've made sure to flag all of your comments so our Product Team can take a look. 

Please let me know if you have any questions! 😀

I own a paint & sip studio where I sell wine by the glass/bottle as well.  I'm just switching my system from another merch svc to Square and have come across some challenges on how to set up my inventory.  I have the same question as those in this thread. "How do I track the inventory of a bottle removed for every 4 6oz glasses of wine I sell?"  Thank you! -Regina

There is no way to have the bottles deducted manually from inventory at the moment. I have a winery and what I have done for this same issue, is to add a 100% discount for bottle removal. If you have bottles for sale in your system, ring up the bottle and then put the 100% discount on it, labeled as Empty Bottle Discount and ring out the sale at $0. This way it removes it from your inventory. Not an ideal solution, but until Square comes up for a way to do it automatically, this is the best way I have found.

Hello Arts and Corks,

Unfortunatley, Square has no solution for this at the moment and Im not sure when they will.  Really need this capability at my place in a bad way...as does everyone else serving wine.  Hopefully, they will have something soon.

That's a really good suggestion @CitizenRVA I'll try that. 🙂

Hi ErinF,

So, for example: Customers order Merlot by the glass. If i sell 4 glasses of Merlot that night...Once I ring up the 4th glass at regular price. I then ring up that bottle with 100% discount for $0 cash sale and that takes it out of inventory?