x

switching from shopkeep, need to know if my import will carry the bar codes over?

I'm having a nightmare of a time with shopkeep. Out of nowhere the credit card processing stopped working. I'm going to switch to square. All my items are already ticketed with bar codes from shopkeep system.  I know I can import the inventory from an excel spreadsheet. Is it possible to get the bar codes that were created in shopkeep to transfer so I won't have to reticket every item?

many thanks to any and all who can help!

tracey 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Traceytanner

It's exciting to hear you're making the switch to Square. 

While we don’t officially support specific bar code or label printers and can’t guarantee compatibility, some customers have had success with the Dymo 450 label printer.

There's no guarantee that the shopkeep barcodes will work, as we strictly make recommendations over what's worked in the past for other sellers, but it's definitely worth testing so you don't have to start from scratch. 

You might be interested in using Square for Retail

With Square for Retail, you’re able to create and print barcode labels right from your online Square Dashboard.

Message 2 of 6

Hi.  I'm in the same situation - wanting to switch from ShopKeep to Square and my inventory is all labeled with ShopKeep bar codes.  Did you have success with the switch?  I can't find where to upload the bar code (UPC?).  The import template doesn't have a sopt for this.

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Hey @Mitch_YC, welcome to the seller community!

Yes—you can import your bar codes with our bulk import tool. There is an SKU field that you can use to update your product's identifier. Does that help get you where you need to be with stock-keeping? For step-by-steps, have a look here: Upload Your Item Library. If anything else comes up, please don't hesitate to let us know.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 6

Thanks @Tom. I didn’t see anything about specific formats to use for the code under SKU. Is there anything special to note here or should I simply use the code that’s shoKeep generated?

Message 5 of 6
Admin

For Point of Sale, the SKU column will accept either an SKU or a UPC. You can enter in the ShopKeep-generated code to the SKU column in our bulk import template. Once you've uploaded your items, the code that is entered in the column will be associated with the product. 

You’re unable to track both an SKU and a UPC for the same item, but you can add multiple SKUs to a single item. If you add multiple SKUs to an item, your Items Sales Summary will reflect the bar code you scanned during checkout.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 6