x

An Automatic Gratuity / Tip button for Point of Sale app would be great, please

An Automatic Gratuity / Tip button for Point of Sale app would be great, please

We add a mandatory 18% gratuity to all large parties in the restaurant, but there's no easy way to do this without getting out a calculator and doing the math (horror!) manually. 

I tried creating a new "tax" of 18%, but it only half-works. On the plus side, it automatically calculates what 18% of the bill would be. But on the minus side, it's listed on the customer receipt as "tax," which is a deal-breaker. 

For now, we define an item called "Gratuity" with an undefined price/percentage and then calculate it manually for every bill as described above. It's error-prone and time-consuming, both bad things. Surely Square Register is smart enough to figure out the tip on its own? 

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Automatic tip for parties of 6+

@MR_Cltuch @Gam1 I just wanted to let you know that automatic gratuity based on the number of guests at a table is currently available with Square Restaurants. Square for Restaurants is a separate app to the Point of Sale app and it's free to try for 30 days. There's more information about automatic gratuity and other check management features with Square for Restaurants in our Support Center too! 

71 Comments
Square

That's a great question, @The_White_Hart. It isn't in fact something we've built into the app, so the workarounds you suggest are the best I have, for now. 

However, I'll add that you can change the name of the "tax" to appear however you'd like on the receipt. For example, when creating the 18% tax, rename it to "Large Party Gratuity," and that's what will be displayed on receipts.

This will at least prevent any customer confusion, though that amount collected would appear as a "Tax" in your internal reporting. (You can still differentiate it in your tax report.

I'll update this thread if we do offer this feature in the future, but hopefully that helps in the meantime. 

Thanks. I'll give that a try. But do keep it on your to-do list, please. 

Thanks so much for bringing this up!! We have the same issue.

1000 percent would love to have this feature. ...................................

Our restaurant has a disclaimer that a party of 6 or more will automatically be charged a gratuity of 18%.  How do we go about this with Square Register?

Square

Hi @BruceLee — It looks like another seller had the same question, and received an answer. Check out the reply from Spenser and let us know if that helps!

Thank you Sean!  Yes, it helps a little bit but I hope there's an easier way.  Just wondering if you guys are working on it since that question popped up more than a year ago.  Thanks a lot though!  That is way better than nothing.

Square

@BruceLee - While I don't have any sort of timeframe update, I'm happy to pass along your feedback. As a background, I'd suggest checking out this thread. It goes into more details about how feature requests are treated at Square, and the role of the community in that process. 

Because of this, we use our other POS system for large parties. I believe Square should have solved this problem quickly. You marketed the register as a comprehensive POS system for restaurants but the register behaves like we all are coffee shops - 95% of them do not have this problem. And adding as a tax and later trying to figure out the tax amount requires additional time which is really scarce in our line of work. I hope you would fix this issue ASAP. 

This would be something that should be implemented already. I love everything about square, but this is overlooked for restaurants that could possibly get very large parties. The workarounds posted are definitely not very favorable on the reports.