x

Are you good at selling?

Hi all,

Curious about your take on growing sales skills. This is a re-post from the Food & Beverage community.

---

Hi all - first post.

I had conversation recently about whether or not the ability "to sell" is an inborn personality trait. "Um, no..." was my take.

I figure this group is totally biased (clearly we all sell things!) so I'm curious what you think. Do you think you're good at selling? How have you improved over time? What still frustrates you?

I'll go first...

Personally, I think selling is a skill. Yes, some personality types may have an advantage. But, I think you can find a style that works for you and get better with practice. I sell food and drink. I've gotten better at really listening. I've also implemented some subtle moves that encourage a customer buy more. (For example, if someone comes to our cafe "for a drink only" I put a menu in their hand anyway.)

My ongoing frustration is that sales is viewed as slimey... obviously, I want my people to return again & again so I never "sell
just to make the sale."

You?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Very interesting post! 

While I don't have a ton of sales experience, I agree that the "sell just to make the sale" tactic definitely gives a negative reputation. 

Hopefully one of your fellow Square Sellers can chime in and offer their insight! 

Message 2 of 6

@Pennywhistle I think I am good at selling in that I do take advice from seasoned sellers. But there is a huge difference in the types of thing one sells. Some sell services where some sell physical items. So for physical items ... lets say vintage - if you take the time to give any history on the item your selling.. you do some research about the item itself and give a good description with possible different uses that does help in making one a good seller... My best advice to any seller is to never let one disgruntled buyer change your attitude and never add in a stipulation on how you sell items based on some bad feedback.

As of right now I will be editing all my vintage items descriptions since I did get lazy and just include the basics.

Mary Jane

www.EasySpecials123.com

Message 3 of 6

Thank you for your thoughts, Mary Jane.

Yes, I totally agree that people purchase based on story! I think people would assume that "story" is only applicable to selling products. But, I think it also applies to services. I think stories are often overlooked here. The best story of course being "what's in it for me" from the customer/client's perspective. 

Message 4 of 6

My mom and I own a retail shop in Ohio.   My mom is the 'face' of the store and is a great salesman (woman) and i'm more behind the scenes handling buying, social media and putting together events.  Sometimes I am in the front of the shop, but we never sell as much when i'm on the shop floor.   I try not to take it personally, lol!  Some people are just naturals.  She has connections with many of the customers that I don't have and that helps.   They love seeing a friendly, familiar face when they walk through the door.   

Message 5 of 6

Thanks for your comment, I know what you mean! 

My husband and I share ownership of two businesses. We joke that we have "his and her" customers. For example, there are certain "beer bro" customers who only want to talk beer with him, and, customers who want to chit-chat with me. I agree there is some personality dimension involved because I am a lot more outgoing than he is. However, I think this is where the idea of
"who is good at sales" can be misleading. Introverts tend to listen more closely. I think that's a big advantage.

Don't discount your social media work, that's sales too!

Thanks for your comment.

Message 6 of 6