x

Can you search for an item by SKU with out a scanner?

Am trying to do a search of an item by the bar code but it won't let me? Is there a way to do this?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 37
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

UPDATE: As of this morning, you can now search by SKU within the Point of Sale app by typing in the SKU Number or scanning the SKU Number. 

Sorry we made you all wait so long for this feature, and thank you all for the feedback and advocacy that led to this update!

View Best Answer >

Message 13 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Square

I've heard this request a number of times, and I definitely see how this functionality would be really useful. 

At this point, you're only able to use the barcode scanner and/or the SKU to add an item to a sale, not to search for it in the library. You would need to type the name of the item in to locate it. 

I will be sure to pass this feature request along to our Product Liaison Team! They love hearing about ways that help our sellers run their businesses better. 👍

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 37

That's ridiculous. I have a company that only has sku numbers that we use to search for the items on our current register. That loses so much functionality. Well, since I'm new, I guess the square is going back. 

Message 3 of 37

I am new too. How do you scan to add to the sale? When I am in the register the only way I can see to add items is to search for them?

Message 4 of 37
Square

Hi @fotobella - you need to be using a supported barcode scanner in order to scan an item into the sale. Is that what you mean?

Message 5 of 37

So I can't use the blue tooth barcode scanner I have? I have to get a different one? 

I think between this and lack of automated promotional pricing, square is not the solution for us. 

Message 6 of 37
Square

Which Bluetooth scanner do you have, @fotobella?

Message 7 of 37

TEEMI RMCT-10. We use them for our warehouse management system. 

Message 8 of 37
Square

Thanks for providing that, unfortunately it is not a model that is compatible with our app. Definitely understand you need to do what's best for your business. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Message 9 of 37

Message 10 of 37

My non-profit is exploring expanding our Square useage to do inventory control in our gift shop. Having the ability for our docents to search by SKU is absolutely critical to keeping this process under control. Is there an update as to when this will be available? Thanks.

Message 11 of 37

@FFXSTN No updates as of right now, but this is one of the more popular requests that we see. Hopefully we can get something out that helps with this in the near future. We'll definitely announce if we do. 

Message 12 of 37

Best Answer

UPDATE: As of this morning, you can now search by SKU within the Point of Sale app by typing in the SKU Number or scanning the SKU Number. 

Sorry we made you all wait so long for this feature, and thank you all for the feedback and advocacy that led to this update!

Message 13 of 37

Is this available in Square POS, or only with the new Square Retail?

Message 14 of 37
Square

It's available in both, @FAMI! Make sure you have the latest version of the Point of Sale app installed and you will have the option to search by SKU. Thanks!

Message 15 of 37

This is wonderful news. Thank you.

Message 16 of 37
Beta Member

If the ITEM has multiple SKUs using the VARs, when you scan the SKU it works.  When you do a search it brings up a panel with all of the VARs in the item and you have to look through all of those to find your product.  Totally inefficient and error prone for the cashier.

Why does scanning the SKU and keying it in bring different results?  2-7-17 you said it was fixed, I am confused

Some of our ITEMs will have 200 VARs with 200 SKUs.

Message 17 of 37
Beta Member

Our system has up to 200 VARIATIONS in an ITEM.  Each VARIATION has a SKU, NAME and PRICE.  When we scan the barcode for a VARIATION SKU the sale immediately includes the item in the sale will all the appropriate details.

However, if you do not have a scanner and need to SEARCH the SKU it brings up a panel with all 200 VARIATIONS that you need to scroll through to find the product.

It seems like a bug that scanning and searching do not produce the same results.

Message 18 of 37
Admin

Hey @CheeseCanary, welcome to the seller community.

Thanks for flagging this. Up until early February, the ability to search by SKU within the Point of Sale app was not available in any form. It does sound strange that you're getting different results when scanning vs. searching manually. If your products are not set up as individual items, that may be the reason that the additional search panel shows up.

If you haven't already, please let our Support Team know about this and provide them with an example SKU where this behavior is occurring. With that information, they'll be able to zero in and get to the bottom of this.

We definitly want to make selling as streamlined as possible and prevent any chance for errors during checkout. Thanks for your help with this information.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 19 of 37
Beta Member

Category WINE

Item WEST COAST CABERNET

Variations 77

Scanning the SKU on a variation works fine.  It locates the wine and it's price and adds it to the ticket correctly.

Search (keying in)  the SKU it can only find the item, not the variation.

We can not convert the 1200+ variations in the system to 1200+ items. 

Message 20 of 37
Admin

Thanks for taking the time to provide this example, @CheeseCanary. I see what you mean — when searching manually, you still have to sort through Prices, Sizes, or SKUs even if you've already typed in the specific SKU into the search field.

I will flag this with the appropriate team members. We can't offer a specific timeline for when we'll have an update, but we will circle back to this thread with any developments. Keep in touch!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 21 of 37