x
Beta Member

Square for Retail - Printed receipt barcode does not search correctly when scanned in the app.

With Square Retail, the printed copy of the receipt has a barcode that prints automatically at the bottom of it. However, when in the main POS screen of the Square Retail App, when I scan the receipt barcode to search for it, the barcode reads as "RECEIPT:mwVB" (for receipt #mwVB in this example). No results display in the search. But if I manually remove the beginning part and search only for "mwVB" the receipt pulls up in the search. Is this just a glitch that the search doesn't work properly when scanning the receipt barcode? Or is there a way around this?

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Circling back with some more information — very sorry for the delay!

I was able to touch base with a member of our Retail Team and wanted to offer some more insight in case you're still encountering this issue.

The barcode is set up as a keyboard, not as a barcode scanner — so it's emitting the content of the barcode directly into a text field (as if someone typed it) instead of triggering our barcode scanning handler.

To Fix:

Change the mode of the scanner if you're able, or contact our Support Team directly with an example item where this is occurring. With that information, we can take a deeper dive into any other possible culprits that may be causing trouble. 🔍

Hope this helps get you in the right direction!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Hey @mike109, thanks for bringing this up. I'm going to dig into this a bit deeper and I'll get back to you as soon as I have more clarity. Appreciate your patience!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 2 of 8
Admin

Best Answer

Circling back with some more information — very sorry for the delay!

I was able to touch base with a member of our Retail Team and wanted to offer some more insight in case you're still encountering this issue.

The barcode is set up as a keyboard, not as a barcode scanner — so it's emitting the content of the barcode directly into a text field (as if someone typed it) instead of triggering our barcode scanning handler.

To Fix:

Change the mode of the scanner if you're able, or contact our Support Team directly with an example item where this is occurring. With that information, we can take a deeper dive into any other possible culprits that may be causing trouble. 🔍

Hope this helps get you in the right direction!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 3 of 8

Along the same lines, I've had square for over a year and have never been able to use the scan option on a receipt. What's the trick with this?

DP

Message 4 of 8
Super Seller

What Square Hardware are you using?  I am using a Square Stand with Ipad

Which POS app are you using?  For me its Square for Retail

On my system I am on the Checkout screen, and Scan the receipt just as I would any Item I am selling.  Then a spinning circle pops up saying it's looking for the Receipt /Transaction and then on the screen the Receipt shows up like it did when we processed the original sale.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 5 of 8

TY, TY, TY!!!!!!! All this time I've been trying to do it on the transaction screen. I just tested it on the home screen and it pulled it right up.

Holy Crap

DP

Message 6 of 8

Surely someone at Square can change it so that you can scan the barcode in both places ?

The transaction screen (where i am sure most people would search) and also the "checkout" screen.

PS- if anyone from Square reads this I am based in Spain, and have been waiting for just over 6 months for you to give me the ability to print "barcodes" from my dashboard. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still waiting for a date as to when the option will be available to me.

Message 7 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hello @ChristianWatts 

At this time, Barcode Label Printing is not a supported feature in Spain. Our team is aware of this and they currently investigating the best way to implement this. Thank you for sharing your interest in this feature. 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 8