Be able to edit the mobile version separately from the desktop version

by NMA on ‎11-22-2016 01:42 PM - last edited on ‎11-23-2016 08:46 AM by Community Manager

Hi there,

This is very important, because my name looks perfect on desktop website & BULKY on MOBILE website.

Thanks 

We really appreciate the support for this idea! The Weebly team is considering now, and hopefully we will hear an update soon.

Comments
by Ella
on ‎05-29-2016 07:24 PM

Hey,

I know a few themes have customisable mobile sites where you can edit the mobile site seperately to the site for desktops+laptops (or at least there was a few of thoses themes- I haven't come across any recently), but the themes where you can't edit your mobile site seperately are really quite annoying. While the set out of my blog looks great on a computer, it doesn't look as good on the mobile site, the elements have kind of rearranged themselves in weird positions.

Anyone else struggle with not being able to edit their mobile site seperately? There needs to be a way that all themes have the ability to edit the mobile site seperately!

by WebfireThemes
on ‎05-30-2016 12:18 AM

Hi @Ella

With the way things are going with Modern web design... responsiveness is becoming more and more renound in web design.

I believe all new themes developed within Weebly are now responsive, which means creating/editing the site separately for mobile is probably not going to be an option... I know when we design a theme now we only ever design with responsiveness in mind..

I don't  believe the "mobile editor" in weebly will go away anywhere soon as i can imagine thousands if not millions of websites built in weebly still use an old/non-responsive theme..

I believe also you can override the "forced" responsivenss of the modern themes which in theory it should allow you build your site in "mobile mode". In reality I have not tried this and do not know the ramifications of doing this but you can try..

go into your manifest.json file and where it says "responsive: true" change to false... this should give the option of editing your mobile site and turning mobile optimisation on/off..

Again... I don't know how the  weebly platform will react to this, but... worth a try... In a worst case scenario you can just revert back to the original theme Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.

by Ella
on ‎05-30-2016 03:21 AM

Hey @WebfireThemes ,

Thank you for clearing that up!

I might have a go at trying to edit it, but yeah... I know next to nothing about coding or CSS (or do I mean HTML?) or anything along those lines, aha. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks again for your help!

by WebfireThemes
on ‎05-30-2016 11:37 AM

No problem Ella

In this case it is neither HTML or CSS, it's JSON Smiley Happy

It literally should just be a matter of changing the word true to false in the manifest.json file where the value is

responsive : true

It will take me about 8 seconds to do this if you wish me to give it a go for you on your site... You'd just need to give me access to edit your site..

If you wish me to do this, then please send me a private message and I'll reply with the editor email address to send to.

cheers.

by Frosht
on ‎06-02-2016 04:54 PM

Hello!  I am also struggling without being able to edit the mobile site.  I'm using a plugin that loads REALLY slowly or not at all on mobile so it would be great to have the option to have different content/style on mobile than on web.  I'v tried hiding (and in turn showing a new div) with putting this in the header:

@media screen and (max-width: 600px) {
  #divname {    display: none;
  }
}

But unforunately this doesnt' seem to do it. I can only hide the div all the time. The @media screen and max-width is failing to work for me. Not sure if anyone else has a work around for now but it would also be great if weebly could make this user friendly in the future!  Even for themes build with responsiveness there are lots of times you want to show mobile users different content than those on a computer -_-

by SeashellAngel
on ‎06-16-2016 11:35 AM

I agree. Not being able to rearrange the content manually is very frustrating. Many times there is unnecessary space added, or (the biggest issue) the header is too small or out of proportion.

by ddetrick64
on ‎06-19-2016 04:31 AM

I completely agree as well.  Being able to rearrange the mobile site elements manually should be an option.  I am not restricted on my desktop design so it doesn't come out jumbled on the mobile site.

by WebfireThemes
on ‎06-22-2016 07:39 AM

Has anyone tried changing the "responsive: true" to "responsive: false" as first suggested

this should force the mobile editor to kick back in and let you use it like you used to use it in the good old days!

by Mario_1980
on ‎06-29-2016 04:38 PM - last edited on ‎07-07-2016 06:03 PM by Employee Moderator

There should to tools to edit mobile websites ! 

by Community Manager
on ‎07-01-2016 08:08 AM
Status changed to: Duplicate

This was also posted here by another member, so you should add kudos to that post. Smiley Happy

https://community.weebly.com/t5/Vote-on-Features/editing-for-moblie-sites/idi-p/9565

Announcements
Here are some important announcements.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors