x

Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Is there a way 2 take partial payments 4 an invoice?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Little late with an update here, but wanted to make sure y'all know this is possible with Square Progress Invoices!

You can schedule multiple payments on a Square Invoice by following these steps 

Joe
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Hi there, @LiaJmt - thanks for adding your voice here and checking in on this feature! Good to hear from you. Same to you, @BIONICONE - welcome! 

You may be looking specifically for our newly introduced Deposit Feature for Invoices. This will also allow you to create a single invoice to track multiple payments and reduce the amount of time you have to spend reconciling multiple payments (deposit, follow-up payments) to a single transaction or sale.

Let me know if this is what you're looking for! 

336 Comments

I would also love to see a feature where a customer can make a partial payment. Editing it the way it is suggested is bit tedious and makes it harder to keep track of what has been sold.

Came here to ask this very question. Right now, it looks like I can sort of do this by keeping track of deposits received by customer separately, and then applying a split payment for that amount. This requires me to track my client's deposits, though. It'd be nicer if I could track deposits paid on an invoice within the Register app.

Square

@BLH_Photo - Agreed! I'll be sure to pass along your feedback as well. 😀

I would also like to know if partial payment is allow e.g., deposits, as in PayPal. Square should really allow this.

Admin

Hi Everyone, right now partial payments aren't available with Square Invoices. I'd suggest taking a look at Sean's work-around mentioned in this post.

In the meantime, rest assured that I'm sharing your feedback with our product liaison team. We'll announce any developments, but please don't hesitate to reply with any other insight.

To encourage customers to commit to their event space reservations, I have a 50% deposit policy to reserve the space.  If they cancel less than 48hrs before the event date the deposit is then forfeited.  

This is my workaround at the moment. I create the invoice in full to reflect all charges, titled "EVENT DATE SPACE RENTAL - 50% DEPOSIT". Then under the discount section I apply a Customized 50% discount that says "DEPOSIT" in the description. Save draft. Create Duplicate of the first invoice. Then Edit the title of the duplicate to "EVENT DATE SPACE RENTAL - 50% FINAL PAYMENT".  Also, edit the Customized 50% discount to reflect "FINAL PAYMENT" in the description.  Send customer both invoice.  

Don't forget to adjust the due date accordingly.  The Deposit invoice, due upon receipt.  The Final Payment invoice, due date of event.   

WONDERFUL suggestion. I did this and it's been really helpful. Thanks for the tip!

We are a restaurant and for caterings, we require a deposit. I want to do invoices to reflect this.  I cannot find a way to do so.

Square

Hi @CRR — It looks like another seller had a similar question, and I answered above. Please check out my post, and then let me know if you still have any follow up questions! 

Thank you, Sean!  Works beautifully!!