x

What does "Deferral Held" mean?

I received a sale last night in my online store and set up (and verified) my debit card and bank account for deposits. My account shows there is no deposit pending, and that $0.00 was deposited, but the deposit information shows the amount that should have been deposoted (roughly $30) as "deferral held" and the amount of the deposit is $0. Why am I not getting access to the money from my sale?

Message 1 of 19
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Hello @lineandbead & @protactops

I can provide some clarification on this. So your payment will be deferred until you mark the order as shipped. Once you've done this, the funds will be released and you will receive them next business day. 

Please let me know if I can help with anything else! 😀

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

I am having the same problem. I had a sale online last week. And does not show a deposit available, but shows the amount as "deferrals on Hold". I don't understand why? I have made plenty of sales online and at the store. 

Message 2 of 19

Best Answer

Hello @lineandbead & @protactops

I can provide some clarification on this. So your payment will be deferred until you mark the order as shipped. Once you've done this, the funds will be released and you will receive them next business day. 

Please let me know if I can help with anything else! 😀

Message 3 of 19

There is no where I could find to mark the order shipped!

Message 4 of 19

@lineandbead you will need to log on to your Square Dashboard  and head to your Online Store tab on the left hand side of your screen. 

From here you will have an option to select an individual dashboard for your Online Store. Click on the appropriate one and you will land on the orders page. 

This is where you will find orders if you have any!

Please let me know if this isn't the case. I will keep an eye out for your reply. 😃

Message 5 of 19

The problem I have with marking an order as "shipped" to release the deferred income into my bank account, is that Square notifies the customer that the item was shipped, when in fact I have not shipped it. I am taking pre-orders from customers, & I need the money in my checking account to be able to actually pre-order the products. I won't be shipping it until after I receive the products which will be about 3 weeks from now. We need a better way to do this, like maybe having an option to not use deferrals in our store so that the money gets deposited the next business day. 

Not that I want to do this, but if I choose to pay the 1% fee for immediate deposits, will that automatically eliminate deferrals?

Thank you for your help!

Message 6 of 19

Following this topic because I also deal with pre-orders and special ordered products. I am reading all the posts regarding online store setup and instant deposits to see if this is something that will fit with my business. 
Marking an order "shipped" to release the deposit, when the items havent indeed shipped, is an issue for sure. I hope they figure this out for us. 

Message 7 of 19
Admin

Welcome to the Seller Community @MrsD, and welcome back @Stellar119! 😀

To answer your question @MrsD there isn't a way to prevent deferrals from being held by using instant deposits. Instant Deposits can only be used when a payment has been completed, i.e. when you've marked the order as competed in the Dashboard.

I definitely understand the predicament you're in here, and thanks for sharing your current workflow. I'll share this with our Product team, it's actually really helpful feedback for them as they work to improve the Online Store! Thanks for sharing your interest too @Stellar119!

In the meantime, if you are shipping items 3 weeks after the fact I recommend that adding a note in the item description. That way your customers will know what to expect and it might help prevent confusion.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Online Store or Instant Deposits. Happy to help! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 8 of 19

I provided a medical service and ran the card , only 2/3 of the charge was credited to my account, the balance was deferred.  In providing medical treatment, there is no shipment...I should have received the full amount to my account 😡

Message 9 of 19
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Ayoney

That sounds a bit strange. If you take a normal payment, the only time you would receive partial amounts of that payment is if you have a pending refund or an ongoing dispute. 

We first look to your Square Balance to cover any refunds or disputed payments. If this doesn't apply to you, reach out to our CS team immediately so we can take a look at your deposit with you. 

Message 10 of 19

Thank you! It worked for me.

Message 11 of 19

I just got a message Deferrals Held.  I've never had this message before.  I also provide services not products so nothing is shipped.  Please help.

Message 12 of 19

Hello @Acraig, it sounds like you might have a chargeback on your account. I recommend checking your email for messages from our Disputes Team. If you can't find anything I recommend reaching out to our Support Team via email or by phone when you get a chance. 

Message 13 of 19

Thank you for your reply.  How do I get in touch with support team via email

or phone?  I find that info hard to find. 

Message 14 of 19

@Acraig, go ahead and click on the blue link in my last comment. Then sign into your account, select a topic and then choose "I don't see my issue" at the bottom of the screen. 

Let me know if you're still having trouble. 

Message 15 of 19

I charged a customer $1750.00 for services. $40 was held under "deferrals  Held." I do not have an online store. How can I get this money deposited?

Message 16 of 19

Hi @Peggy1220 - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Great Question.

Deferrals Held: Online orders that haven't completed. These are pending funds and will be transferred to your linked bank account when the order has been marked as complete by you.

Learn more about the deferral holds process here.

Feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions, i'm more than happy to assist. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 17 of 19

We have several deferrals held, but no pending orders. How can we get this resolved?

Message 18 of 19

Hi @defibthis,

Thanks for writing in with this question! Unfortunately, we're not able to take a closer look at your account via this public forum to take a closer look at your orders, or deferrals. When you have a moment, please reach out to our support team so we can assist further. You can call us on 1-855-700-6000, from Mon - Fri, 6am-6pm Pacific Time. 

Message 19 of 19