x
Beta Member

How to identify brand or manufacturer name for my items

I've entered item names, categories, SKUs, price, and a couple notes, but how do I indicate what brand the items are? We need to know who to reorder from, confirm warranty period based on manufacturer, etc.  and I'd like to be able to search by brand also.  I wasn't keen on the customer necessarily seeing the manufacturer's name so I thought using a Modifier was ruled out.  The customer buys a Polywood chair, let's look up all "Dining Tables" (category name) also made by Polywood.  Thanks for your help! I just scrapped a 6 month implementation with a terrible POS and got Square mostly up and running over the weekend.  Excited to start using immediately.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Hi

I have use dthe "Category" function for the brand/manufacturer for my business, but it's a vitamin shop. I'd also be interested in hearing the feedback from the Square folks becuase naturally, my business could use categories differently. 

Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

I have meaningful categies set up... chair, sofa, tableware, etc. and I understand you can't put an item into more than one category. I'm thinking I need to code the SKU somehow to designate the supplier name.

Message 3 of 4
Square

While we don't offer them at this time, I think that subcategories would be the best solution for you and @Stellar119. It's a popular request that's been shared with our product team, so hopefully that changes in the future. (I'll update this post, if so.) 

There isn't a character limit to the SKU field, so you could include that supplier info there. However, if you're using a barcode scanner, only the UPC can be there in order for it to scan the items properly. Hopefully that workaround works if that's not the case!

Message 4 of 4