x

My new Square reader for chip cards will not hold a charge

my reader wont hold a charge

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Square

So sorry to hear! Just to confirm, are you using the Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader? How long is your reader staying charged for? How are you charging it? Have you already checked for updates to the Square Register App? 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 11

No, I have a combo chip card reader and stripe reader

Message 3 of 11

It recently started. I charge it in the morning and a half hour later it needs to be recharged. Is it OK to just leave it plugged into an outlet until needed?

Message 4 of 11
Square

Definitely sounds like it's draining too fast. First, take a look at some of our battery tips and troubleshooting in the Support Center. If nothing there does the trick, you can also submit a warranty claim, and we'll get you a replacement ASAP. Hope that helps!

Message 5 of 11

I'm experiancing the same issue. Had 2 chip readers that where sent already for warrrenty replacemnt (after working for less than a day), and now the new ones do not seem to hold a charge for more than an hour. tried all the troubledshooting tips and volument settings. Using iPad min aith iOS10. Any ideas?

Message 6 of 11

Lets ask for a refund. They just dont work.

Message 7 of 11

The problem is that there is no other alternative suitable for chip card that is mobile and small enough. The other contactless chip reader is much larger, and then you need the regular swipe reader in addtion (as that reader does not have swipe capabilities). That is very awkward for being in a mobile environment.

Message 8 of 11

I started simply using the free stripe reader. It is super fast and does not need to be charged.

No customer has complained about not accepting a chip card.

Message 9 of 11

I have the same issue! Is sqaure looking into different chip options? 

Message 10 of 11
Admin

Hey @LeGrille, sorry to hear that you've been running into some charging issues as well. 😕

Depending on the reader you have, these troubleshooting tips may help clear things up:

If not, I would suggest checking to see if your reader is covered under warranty and proceed with requesting an exchange.

Square Terminal is our latest all-in-one mobile chip reader option. For more information on what's included, have a look here: Introducing Square Terminal.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 11 of 11