x
Super Seller

Merging customer accounts while retaining customer activity and rewards

We tried to merge 2 customer accounts because someone was using two different numbers to collect loyalty stars. We assumed that merging them would combine previous star counts, and purchase history from both phone #'s, but it didn't really do that. Instead, it removed 1 of the accounts, and it's purchase history. How exactly would we go about doing this in the future? Is there a way to know what information will replace what information when merging contacts?

A lot of the time, a customer accidentally puts in the wrong phone number. and they end up creating a new customer account with a phone # only, and its own star count. If we catch it in time, we will lookup that customer, and manually add those stars to their actual profile, and if we have enough time we might even remove that newly created account from the customer list, and reassign that customer to the transaction in the Dashboard... But we don't like doing that. It seems to me that there is something missing between entering the phone #, and pressing "Claim my stars", where the customer might confirm their phone #, or name, or something like that?

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

hi @Twistedhornmead - we've improved Square Loyalty customer management. Now you can merge, update and delete loyalty phone numbers. Check out more details here

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

I also have this problem. I just merged contacts only to have their loyalty reward dissapear. In addition to that problem, the new merged contact is not listed in the loyalty program so there is no way for me to edit the number of stars they have to issue a new reward. Now I am paying $25/mo for this loyalty program and still have to keep a seperate record of rewards for instances like this and online orders. At the bare minimum Square needs to give us the ability to take a non-loyalty customer and manually add them into the program.  

Message 2 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hi @LocavoreStore and @GoodHope

Unfortunately there isn't a way to automatically add Loyalty Stars when merging Customer Profiles with different phone numbers since the rewards are tied to the phone number itself. 

You'll have to manually update both accounts:

1. Transfer stars from one account to another
  2. Add enough stars to issue any reward differences
  3. Void the rewards on the other account
  4. Decrease stars to 0

While loyalty accounts don't automatically merge with contacts at the moment, our Loyalty and Directory team are aware of this and are working on this.

I can't provide any timeline or specific date, but hopefully we can get a solution rolled out soon. 

Message 3 of 12

Actually, this whole system of being tied to a phone number is causing more trouble than anything else.  Phone numbers change, credit card numbers change, addresses change.  I currently have a customer who has a card tied to the wrong phone number, and I CANNOT find him by his NAME in my customer directory, so I cannot change it!   Square automatically assigned his stars by recognizing the credit card he used, but his phone number is wrong. I tried to find him immediately in the directory when this occurred and while he was still there, and he doesn't pop up when I search for him.  If he is automatically getting stars, he should be in the directory!   Something is up with this system...there are just too many bugs that don't cover enough situations.  You really need to stop this auto-assign feature and allow the customer to put in their phone number EVERY SINGLE TIME, or allow them to verify their information EVERY SINGLE TIME like the other suggestion on this thread before it completes the star assignment.  As a business owner, I don't have time to do this on the backend after the fact for so many people.

Message 4 of 12
Alumni

Hi @Twistedhornmead - Sorry you're encountering this frustrating experience! Our Support Team can manually unlike your customer's phone number from their account if you give us a call. This is probably the most sure fire way of getting those unlinked. 

Message 5 of 12

@katieand  Thanks!  In another thread I found out that I can find him in my Transactions by name in the backend.  Then edit him as a customer.  This isn't ideal, as it is tied to a transaction that never created him as a "Customer"....so it doesn't have linked cards.  I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work I'll call.  🙂

Message 6 of 12
Alumni

Best Answer

hi @Twistedhornmead - we've improved Square Loyalty customer management. Now you can merge, update and delete loyalty phone numbers. Check out more details here

Message 7 of 12

@lilychiang  Thank you!!!

Message 8 of 12

I just want to merge 4 accounts into one account.  I accidently duplicated one customer twice.  I need to undo that.  I need to know how to merge them into 1 account.  Please help!

Message 9 of 12

Hi, @Steve15, sorry to hear you're running into these issues when attempting to merge your customer profiles. 

For multiple or duplicated profiles, our system should now start to automatically pick up on these and merge them for you. However, when this doesn't occur, you can still manually merge customer profiles.

It's important to note that all profiles being merged must be enrolled in your loyalty program in order to select the correct phone number.

To do so:

1. Sign in to the Customers section of your online Square Dashboard.

2. Click Select > Tap the customers in question and click Merge > Continue. Make sure you select the customer’s accurate phone number in case they have more than one.

3. Confirm your changes by clicking Merge.

Merging customers that each have Loyalty accounts associated with them will combine the earned points.

We've included a breakdown of steps for common actions you may be required to perform to help manage your Square Loyalty Program

I hope this helps to answer your questions in the meantime. Do not hesitate to reach out to us with any further questions.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 12
Super Seller

Hi, I merged two customer profiles using the duplicates button that appeared. I did this without looking closer, but what I noticed is one profile had a landline number (not sure if the other had a mobile number in the profile, but it did have loyalty point and a mobile number attached to the transaction), when I merged the new profile kept the landline number and did not bring over the loyalty points. Not sure if this is a problem with the merging of profiles that have loyalty points attached to it and a profile with a landline number in it? The new merged profile did not have the customer as a loyalty enrolee. Not sure if this is a relevant issue that needs looking at but one to look at when using the duplicate function to merge profiles.

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 11 of 12

Hi @phillipsrw - sorry to see that trouble has brought you to the Seller Community😥

This does sound off, but it's difficult to pinpoint what may be happening without looking at your account with you. I recommend that you get in touch with our Support Team so they can take a look into this for you.

The best way to reach out is by phone because our team can look at your account with you and help you make adjustments in real time. If you haven't already, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 12