x

How can a cusotmer pay with part cash part credit with split tender?

Sometimes the customer pays with part cash and part credit, but not an exact split.

For example, the bill is $50.00 and the customer wants to pay 10$ cash and $40 credit. How do I do this?

Message 1 of 19
2 Best Answers
Super Seller

Best Answer
Message 2 of 19
Beta Member

Best Answer

It's easy!

Click "Charge" once you've rung in all your items. Choose "Split" in the top right corner. Add Cash. Enter the amount of cash (10.00) and choose Tender. The drawer will open, allowing you to put the cash away. Choose weather you need a receipt for the cash transaction.

Then, you will be prompted to fulfill the remaining balance. At this point, you can swipe the credit card to charge the remaining $40.00. Choose "Tender" and it will process. You are then given the option to print a receipt for the credit card transaction.

Your done!

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Super Seller

Best Answer

You can use the split payment feature.  It allows you to use multiple forms of payment for one transaction.

Process Split Tender Payments with Square

Message 2 of 19

Is this available in the Appointment app?  Im not finding it.

Message 3 of 19
Alumni

@SBabaSkincare yeah, split payments are available in the Appointments app. There are various posts on this thread with screenshots and direct links to our Support article that explains where and how to split payment. Feel free to scour through. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 19
Beta Member

Best Answer

It's easy!

Click "Charge" once you've rung in all your items. Choose "Split" in the top right corner. Add Cash. Enter the amount of cash (10.00) and choose Tender. The drawer will open, allowing you to put the cash away. Choose weather you need a receipt for the cash transaction.

Then, you will be prompted to fulfill the remaining balance. At this point, you can swipe the credit card to charge the remaining $40.00. Choose "Tender" and it will process. You are then given the option to print a receipt for the credit card transaction.

Your done!

Message 5 of 19

That only work if you aren't collecting tips. 

If you do collect tips, the cash portion won't be included, and the credit card bill will reflect a much smaller balance.

In your example, the $10 in cash comes right of the top, and the customer will tip on the remaining $40 only, not the $50 total bill. 

Message 6 of 19

it is not giving me the option to split the payment into 2 tenders. Can someone help

Message 7 of 19
Admin

@theruggedwillow Sorry to hear about the trouble!

You should see the option to split a payment right after you add an item to the sale/enter a custom amount and tap Charge.

After you tap charge you'll see Split Amount in blue in the upper right:

If you don't see this option I recommend making sure that your Point of Sale app is up to date, and make sure the software on your device on your device is up to date too.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 8 of 19

Some my customer try to pay me some cash and credit card, but when I put the tender amount on cash is not working. The tender button didn't show up. I don't know whats wrong. Pls advice, thanks.

Message 9 of 19
Square Community Moderator

@freshkitchen It sounds like you're referring to Split Tender payments. 

Check out this existing thread for more information on that and let me know if you still have trouble. 

Message 10 of 19

Hi:  I own a a travel agency and I'm allowing a good client to be in installments.  I sent an invoice with the total amount, however, I'm only requesting that they pay a downpayment and the balance in June.  It's not allowing them to do that.  Is that posssible?  Many thanks!

Message 11 of 19
Admin

Hi @charleneesawtra, thanks for bring this up. At this time, the ability to make a downpayment with Square Invoices isn't available but we are tracking this request. Keep an eye on this thread for more updates from that team: Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

I apologize for any frustration this may case. Please let us know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 12 of 19

OK, so say two customers "share" lunch. The total is 32.45.

Customer one has only 12.00. Customer two gets stuck with the rest, $20.45.

Customer two pays with credit/debit and is not willing to take the cash from customer two. customer one has cash, $12.00. How do I enter this payment as a "split" without being forced to split it down the middle. I need two payment options on one bill...I can't seem to get this..

Message 13 of 19

IN HALF! NOT INHALE. LOL. 

Message 14 of 19
Alumni

Hey @KLGYROS

I moved you to a thread that should help, as it walk through how to split a payment any way you want.

Justin
Message 15 of 19

where can I find it? 

Message 16 of 19
Admin

Hey @KLGYROS!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. 

Please take a look at this post for further instructions and a screenshot. I hope that helps! Let me know if not. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 17 of 19

Is there a "cheat sheet" on how to do a split amount?  

Message 18 of 19
Alumni

Found the thread you're looking for. @Carlisle

Justin
Message 19 of 19