x

Why is there NO option to import items from my dashboard?

I'm a new user to Square and I am already frustrated with it's usability. Following instructions to bulk import items from the dashboard seems pretty straight forward except I am given absolutely no option to import items from my dashboard. Is this broken? Has it been removed? 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

You are not the only one, as I was looking today too, working on testing the online shop and need to import products not in the existing brick and mortar location and there's no Import/Export selection at the top as described in the support center articles... Our Square items were originally added via this method, and now for the life of me I can't find how to do it again... What's up Square?

Message 2 of 14

I called them to figure out this same issue - it's still there but they added a step:

Items

Click any item or 'create new item' (so you get that pop up menu on the right)

Under 'Inventory' pull down box, select your 'inventory location'

Click 'Go'

That will pull up a new screen that looks more like you're used to and has the 'import / export items' button as in the past.

Dig it!

Message 3 of 14

They seriously need to update their support page.  Thanks for calling in to find out how to get into the import/export.

Message 4 of 14

I no longer use Square. I switched to Shopify. I signed up with Square and immediately ran into a problem. I tried to find a solution using these community support forums and I found many, many people were not happy with this service. I can't tell you how many issues I found here with absolutely NO reply from Square support. No thanks.

Message 5 of 14
Square

Hi Everyone! Sorry for the delay, we are working our hardest to get to every post but occasionally we will miss one! @andrewwind83 is correct, if you have multiple locations set up on your Square Account, you will need to navigate to your individual location inventory before being able to import inventory. Check out this Support article for more information on how to import your items and inventory. 

Pro tip: If you have more than one location that all sell the same items, you can easily clone your item library from one location to the next. To do so:

# From your master account, click Account & Settings > Locations.
# Click  an existing Location or create a new one.
# From the menu on the right of your page, scroll to the bottom and click Select a Location to Match.
# Select a location > click Save.

A note: Once an item library has been cloned to a new location, all previous items will be replaced so you will lose the items that were previously in that location.

Message 6 of 14

Hello,

This still doesn't work.  I cannot navigate to the individual location inventory.  When I go to "add item" and click the "Go" button on the location, it doesn't take me anywhere.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Message 7 of 14
Square

@ivpress Sorry to hear that; even when you select an existing item > Inventory drop-down > the Location > Go? 

Message 8 of 14

Has this been sorted? New user and no import option no matter what I do... support articles out of date... Really??? Great new user experience wasting hours trying to import inventory for first invoice!

Ok, finally got it to bring up the button... swear I followed the same steps before multiple times and it didnt work. Let's see how this goes.

Yayyy!!! Finally imported!  Seriously, need to make this more intuitive and/or fix user guide.

Message 9 of 14
Square

@LLL Glad to hear that you were able to finish that import! But I agree, it shouldn't take that long! I'll share your experience with our team. Thanks for taking the time to post! 

Message 10 of 14

I am trying to help someone import items to square they do not have a go button and when I try to import I get this screen.. I have a group of 200  I am trying to explain this to and your format is different for them...  I import the csv file and it pops up as this. I did my own and I had a go button finished it in 3 seconds. This is so frustrating that it doesnt work the same on every user. 

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 11.50.12 PM.png

Message 11 of 14
Square

@k5 Sorry for the confusion! We never want to make importing your items tougher, we are currently working on improving our item catalog. Check out @k5 Sorry for the confusion! We never want to make importing your items tougher, we are currently working on improving our item catalog. Check out E.J.'s post on this thread for updates and more background on this change.  

Message 12 of 14

I am looking for a way to modify my library file to turn on and off specific products for my online store. There does not seem to be a column in the catalogue file for doing this. Is there a way to do it offline?

Message 13 of 14
Square

@Tom_Herman -  We don't currently offer this functionality through a .CSV, but I definitely understand how it would be useful. I'll be sure to pass along the feedback! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 14 of 14