x

If I run a chip card on the magstrip reader, can I be liable if the payment doesn't process?

I know if I run a chip card on the magstrip reader I can be liable if the payment doesn't process. Is the same true with the square stand?

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

You could manually enter the card number or just swipe the card if you do not have a chip card reader, however, the liability would switch over to you.

Check out Square's EMV Guide for more information on chip cards, and learn about the liablity shift on thier website.

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Super Seller Alumni

Yes, if you are presented with a chip card and swipe it in any device you would be liable. Best bet is to get a chip card reader. I love the contactless chip reader, you can either connect it to the hub on your Square Stand or pair it wireless with bluetooth.

Message 2 of 16

So assuming we already have the chip readers to replace the old square readers for our phones would those work? Do I need to order the $50 chip and tap to pay readers? I'm not positive what my dad already has so I am trying to figure this all out.

Thank you

Message 3 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

Yes, if you have the chip reader that plugs into your phone you are all set. You don't need to buy the contactless one. Just dip the chip card in the reader you already have.

Message 4 of 16

I'm new to Square. Am I correct that if I don't want to process a chip card, I can just manually enter the customer's card number for the additional cost?

Message 5 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

You could manually enter the card number or just swipe the card if you do not have a chip card reader, however, the liability would switch over to you.

Check out Square's EMV Guide for more information on chip cards, and learn about the liablity shift on thier website.

Message 6 of 16
Square

@Ron - Thanks for your help with this question. 

As a follow up, I advise everyone to check out this webpage. It provides a pretty detailed overview of the liability shift in the US. 👍

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 7 of 16

What do you mean by "liability"?

Message 8 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

@SFSSTreasurer, click on @Sean's link above.

Message 9 of 16

There is a $29 one.

Message 10 of 16

where is it available?

Message 11 of 16
Square

Hi @rkteas. You can order a reader from the Square Shop. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Message 12 of 16

So to clarify... I do have the chip reader for my phone. However, I was at a craft show this past Sat, and lost internet connection for a time period. If that happens again, I see how I can switch to offline mode. In that mode, the chip reader won't work, but I can still swipe the chip card, correct? I understand I can be liable for swiping a chip card, but really don't have an option if there is no internet connection. Do I have all this correct? If I manually enter the card, then I pay a higher transation fee, so it is better to swipe the chip card when in ofline mode.Correct?

Message 13 of 16
Admin

Hey @WSDuckett, thanks for checking in and welcome to the seller community. Yes—you're correct on all counts. 💯

For more information, have a look at our Support Center: Process Payments with Offline Mode.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if anything else comes up!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 14 of 16

Hi, i'm just getting started and saw that the FAQ's say the free reader we are getting does not take chiped cards. Does that mean we have to swipe them like a regular card to accept payment? Or does that mean we shouln't bother with the free reader and just go buy one that accepts both types of cards?

Message 15 of 16
Square

Hi @FlynHawaiian — It looks like another seller had a similar question, and received an answer. Check out this thread for more details. 👍

Sean
he/him/his
Message 16 of 16