x

Issue with Contactless+chip and Samsung S4

Trying to get started with using Square and having a seriously frustrating issue trying to connect my Contactless + Chip reader to my phone. Spoke to Tech support when I had this issue yesterday and got my reader exchanged at the store I purchased it through, but still having the same issues. Chip Reader will pair with my phone, but then when it tries to connect I get the following error message:

Developer Options not Supported.

This device has enabled Developer Options. Please disable Developer Options in order to use Square's chip reader.

Problem is, Developer Options are turned off. I double check every time I get this message (every time I try to connect the two devices) and it is always turned off.

Reader finally managed to finish updating this morning, but that was after several failures to communicate between devices. For the tech savvy among you (I am not one unfortunately), Here are the specs on my phone:

Device Name: SGH-I337M

Android Version: 5.0.1

Baseband Version: I337MVLUGOH1

Kernel Version: 3.4.0-4508315

dpi@SWHD7402#1

Build Number: LRX22C.I337MVLUGOH1

SE for Android Status: Enforcing

SEPF_SGH-I337M_5.0.1_0051

Secure Boot Status: Type: Samsung

KNOX Version: KNOX 2.3

Standard SDK 5.3.0

Premium SDK 2.3.0

Customization SDK 2.0.0

Container 2.3.0

CEP 2.0.1

Enterprise Billing 1.0.0

SE for Android 2.2..1

SSO 2.1.1

TIMA 2.0

VPN 2.2.0

Have tried rebooting my phone (several times)

Have uninstalled Square POS app and re-installed

Have done hard reset on chip reader (several times)

Owen

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Admin

Hey @IBAGadget, thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot and sorry to hear about the issue you're encountering with setting up your reader. It sounds like there may be a chance that your Samsung Galaxy S4 needs a closer look. If you haven't already, can you ensure that you're running the latest operating software on your device? To make sure you're up-to-date, follow these steps: Update Your Device Software.

Hope this helps clear things up. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 12

Phone was updated to latest OS yesterday. Checked again, but using the most recent.

Message 3 of 12
Admin

Thanks for taking the time to double check on that, @IBAGadget. I'll run this by our engineering team for a closer look and circle back as soon as I have any information. Sorry for the frustration and thank you for your patience.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 4 of 12

Thank you for looking into this Tom. My current tablet won't support contactless, so I'm going to pick up a new tablet tonight and see if I can get it to work. If I can, then I can at least use it that way and keep my phone restricted to cc swipe.

Message 5 of 12

Hey @IBAGadget, just following up for Tom here. I just wanted to let you know that our Engineering Team is still investigating this issue. 

Message 6 of 12
Admin

Hey @IBAGadget, I'm so sorry for my delayed reply. Are you still encountering trouble with this? If so, please try a factory reset of your device. Once that's been done, please let me know if it helped—I'll relay to our Engineering Team.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 7 of 12

Hi Tom. Yep, still getting the same error. Have reset the reader several times to no avail, and have even gone into my phone settings and cleared the data and cache to get rid of developer options, also with no affect. 

Owen

Message 8 of 12
Admin

Got it. Thanks for your reply—to be 100% on the same page, we'll need to make sure that you've done a factory reset on your Samsung S4. If you have any questions about that, I'd suggest calling our CS Team to review the steps for doing a master reset on your phone, or you may want to touch base with the retailer where you purchased it. Keep in mind that this may delete your personal data, so you may want to make sure that any important images, notes, or other files are backed up beforehand.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 9 of 12

Factory reset has now been done on phone. backup restoration currently in progress. fingers crossed that this does the trick.

Message 10 of 12

Factory reset on my phone did the trick. chip reader now shows as ready. Yay!

Now to work on getting back some of the contacts and other data that didn't backup

Message 11 of 12
Admin

Glad to hear it, @IBAGadget! Hopefully you're able to retrieve all of the data that you need. We'll keep watch for other reports of this issue as well. Appreciate your patience and willingness to try all of these suggestions—please don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 12 of 12