x

Printing Receipts from the Dashboard without printing more than 1 page

I am new to Square.  I would like to print receipts from my iPad, but the printers on the Square web site cost over $300.  I found that I could print a receipt from the web-based customer portal if I am using my PC or Mac.  However, the receipt prints on two pages since there is a small icon at the bottom that carries over to the second page.  I will have to carefully set the printer to print just one page every time I print a receipt for our event.

I suggest that Square makes available some advice or a list of cheaper Bluetooth printers that customers could consider.  Also, please make the printing of receipts from the Square customer web site easier. 

Thanks.

Richard

Message 1 of 35
2 Best Answers
Square

Best Answer

Though we are only able to guarantee that our supported printers will work with the Square register app, I definitely understand how that cost could be an issue. As the Square Register has the ability to print more than just receipts, such a kitchen tickets and order stubs, we are only able to support certain printers at this time. 

In the meantime, you can view and print receipts from your online Square Dashboard at any time. To avoid the second page printing out follow these steps:

- Sign in to the Transactions tab of your online dashboard. 
- Click a specific transaction.
- Take a screenshot of the receipt.
- Open the screenshot in image viewing software or paste the image into a Word document. 
- Print as you normally would.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 35
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi all!

Just wanted to update this thread with a solution I came across that could work for your multi-page print issue. When you are at your print preview page, there should be a Scale option available (it's hiding under "More Settings" on Chrome/"More Details" on Safari or Firefox). Reducing the Scale below 100 will reduce the size of the image and you can keep lowering it until it reaches the size you're looking for.

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 2.29.25 PM.png

I hope that helps point you in the right direction! Feel free to chime in on whether or not it worked for you. 

You can also check out Kelly's answer for another suggested solution, if this isn't what you were looking for. 🤙🏼

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer

View Best Answer >

Message 17 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Square

Best Answer

Though we are only able to guarantee that our supported printers will work with the Square register app, I definitely understand how that cost could be an issue. As the Square Register has the ability to print more than just receipts, such a kitchen tickets and order stubs, we are only able to support certain printers at this time. 

In the meantime, you can view and print receipts from your online Square Dashboard at any time. To avoid the second page printing out follow these steps:

- Sign in to the Transactions tab of your online dashboard. 
- Click a specific transaction.
- Take a screenshot of the receipt.
- Open the screenshot in image viewing software or paste the image into a Word document. 
- Print as you normally would.

Message 2 of 35

Why, for God's sakes, can we not have a receipt that takes up a single page instead of three pages???  I've been a customer of square-enabled businesses for at least 4 years, and Square hasn't come up with a solution for this?  I saw where someone asked this question in April but didn't get any responses.  Please, please, please?  Is there some setting that everyone else in America is using, but I'm not?  Please help me.

Message 3 of 35
Admin

Hi @JoanneCFYF — thanks for bringing this up and sorry to hear about the frustration this is causing. It looks like another seller had the same question, and received an answer. Check out this thread by Kelly. Hope that helps for now.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 35

Hi!

I had this same frustrating issue!

I resolved it, by opening the email in my web browser, there is usually a link at the top of the email body.

Printing from the browser allowed me to reduced the zoom to 60% which put the whole oversized receipt on one page for printing.

I hope this helps!

Message 5 of 35

So let me get this straight; after I email/text the customer the receipt I should then email it to myself and then print it from my email (after formatting if I like)? Can't I just print from the app without buying a special credit card printer? Guess not...

Message 6 of 35
Square Community Moderator

@jimlibs No need to email the receipt to yourself!

All of the receipts for your transactions can be viewed in your Transactions Tab of your Square Dashboard and you can access them at any time.

However, if you'd prefer to print out a receipt and file it outside of your Square Dashboard, you'd need to use one of the workarounds mentioned in the comments above. 

Message 7 of 35

I made a quick youtube video  https://youtu.be/F8GT0GsXAGc

Message 8 of 35
Square

Awesome job with the video, @RBJAssoc. Just curious, does this method work differently than pressing the "Print" button next to "Share"?

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 9 of 35

I believe yes, the whole point is to get the control of the print cycle away from square and put into your browser's control. 🙂

Message 10 of 35

Printing email attached receipt, I use half size legal paper, setting paper to 108mm by 356mm

Message 11 of 35

A customer said his receipt was four pages long when he printed it. Do I have control over this?

Message 12 of 35
Alumni

Hi @PupologyATX - thanks for flagging this. 

I moved your post to this thread, browse through to see what other sellers do to print receipts - and definitely read Kelly's post. Your customer may need to use some of these methods and adjust his printer settings. 

I hope this helps - definitely post again! 👍

Message 13 of 35

So, if I'm comprehending what I've read, I need to tell my customer to copy & paste the receipt link in a new browser - select print - reduce the page until it fits on one page. Is this correct?

Message 14 of 35

after they are viewing the receipt in a browser, right click on mouse select print. Normal this will open print preview. in the options reduce the receipt until it fits on one page in the print preview. than print.

Message 15 of 35

F.Y.I. Kelly's post is not an effecient workaround.  If receipts are longer they can not be captured in a screen shot.  So we are back to "square one" on the printing small receipts issue. 

😞

Message 16 of 35
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi all!

Just wanted to update this thread with a solution I came across that could work for your multi-page print issue. When you are at your print preview page, there should be a Scale option available (it's hiding under "More Settings" on Chrome/"More Details" on Safari or Firefox). Reducing the Scale below 100 will reduce the size of the image and you can keep lowering it until it reaches the size you're looking for.

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 2.29.25 PM.png

I hope that helps point you in the right direction! Feel free to chime in on whether or not it worked for you. 

You can also check out Kelly's answer for another suggested solution, if this isn't what you were looking for. 🤙🏼

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 17 of 35

Puka,

Thanks for trying but these type of solutions never work for everyone with differences in printers, software etc.  It would be much more helpful (and easier) if Square fixed the issure on their end by simply "using" more of the page (thus saving paper) for larger register receipts.  Sometimes I have as many as 15 people on one order and when I need to print that receipt it can take up to 3 pages or more.  Dear Square, please help!

🙂

Message 18 of 35

The major issue is that the receipt is too long to fit in a single page. Here are a few things you can do to shorten it. First, on your receipt setting, you opt out "show refferal banner" and "show location"  second, by fowarding the email, you can actually delete the two faces on the top and decrease the font size of the big money number. Of course delete those default forwarding email component at the top.

While printing, choose legal size paper. If it is still not long enough, you can either to decrese the size of content by percentage, or customize the paper size to the length you need. But you do not actually print yet, instead you save your printing page as PDF. 

On open you PDF receipt, you can crop the receipt to keep only the element you want. After all these steps, you should be able to print your receipt on one page.

But just now, I realized that, actually, by text the receipt to yourself instead of email the receipt, you can forward the link to your email. By opening the link, you will have only the receipt on your screen and then print. Haha, after so many struggle, here is the simplest solution.

Message 19 of 35

Instead of email receipts can we just PRINT THEM IN THE OFFICE AFTER PAYMENT? Email receipts are illegal for health care providers - it violates privacy issues. 

Message 20 of 35
Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread.

Hello @osteopathicwell. I've moved your post here so you can read out EJ's workaround for printing receipts from your Dashboard. Additionally, if you're using a supported printer you can also print receipts from your mobile device or tablet. 

If you treat patients you can also contact our Support team and request that the Automatic receipts feature is disabled for your account (if it isn't already). That way customers who usually receive Square receipts by email will not receive one at your business automatically. You can then print their receipt as needed. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 21 of 35