x
Super Seller

Loyalty Program Inconsistencies/Ambiguities

Let's see if I can make any sense at this. 

I decided to look at a customer's purchase activity, and I was surprised at how little sense it all made to me. I noticed that this customer was issued a reward for getting 50 stars/points... Our loyalty is set up to issue a point for each $5 spent... After 50 (or after $250 spent) the customer gets a reward. 

Screenshot (81)-01.jpg

I have so many questions about this activity, I don't really know where to start. The summary of this customer has a total of just 4 visits, and a Total Spent way under the threshold of earning a reward already. The summary says that this customer has spent $123.99 so far... But when I look at the exported sales data in a spreadsheet, this customer only shows up for only $114.45 in transactions. But having been issued a reward already, it's obvious that she has been getting stars somehow. Also, the reward issued for this customer seems to have just happened for no reason... Out of the blue, on the 24th, she was issued a reward.. And somehow still has a total of 35 stars/points after only a <$5 transaction... 

I'm just curious how this can happen? It makes me think that the rest of the data collected with the Loyalty Program, and other customers might be unreliable. I really wanted to use the Loyalty Program so that I could track purchase histories for individual customers, but I'm not sure how to account for these ambiguities. Am I just overlooking something with a simple explanation? 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Super Seller Alumni

On the activity panel on the right side, they definjtkry racked up enough points to get a reward, use the reward, and have 35 points left. 

THat means their phone number is definitely being used for purchases - even if it’s not registering purchases as with this customer. It could be this customer and somehow it’s not connecting, or the same loyalty number is being used by another person (probably a family member) so the points are showing up in this customer’s profile, but not the purchases since it’s technically a different customer who is making the purchases. 

Try searchjng in your directory by the Loyalty phone number and see if another customer also shows up. 

Curious us to see what’s doing this. We have a few instances of this happening to us too. 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 2 of 15
Super Seller Alumni

Also maybe check for any customer merge suggestions! 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 3 of 15
Alumni

@LocavoreStore Thank you for posting this concern. @pessosices is correct. The loyalty activity events are on the profile that you shared in this post. However, the payment activity events for the same loyalty activity event is actually on another customer's profile. To resolve the inconsistencies, you should merge the two customers. Feel free to direct message me so I can help you resolve this issue. Thanks!

Message 4 of 15
Super Seller

I tried searching for the phone #, but it only pulls up 1 customer. Regardless if someone else is using the number, shouldn't it attribute that transaction to that customer? Here it appears to give the customer their points, but it does not assign them to the transaction... Like if I open one of those transactions, it'll take me to the receipt and show me everything that was sold and how many stars were earned, but there is no customer assigned to it. 

There are many times (maybe 6-10 times) the loyalty screen will say "Complete Enrollment" instead of "Claim my stars" once a customer puts their number in (even when they are repeat customers)... Maybe this is related? 

Message 5 of 15
Super Seller Alumni

Interesting. That definitely sounds like something different then, that it’s just not doing what it’s supposed to do. 

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 6 of 15
Admin

Hello @LocavoreStore, sorry to keep you waiting here! When you have time can you call our CS team so they can take a closer look at this? They'll be able to look at your account and escalate anything that isn't working as it should be to our engineers. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 15
Super Seller

No worries @Helen. I've been so busy lately, Haven't really had a chance to check back here anyway. It's not really the biggest priority right now. I'll try and carve out some time to check in with Customer Service next chance I get. Thanks for taking a stab at it 🙂

Message 8 of 15
Super Seller Alumni

@LocavoreStore @Helen @lilychiang

So now I've been getting a similar thing more and more - transactions have loyalty points going towards the customer, but the customer is not actually attatched to the transaction - customer name doesn't show up on the transaction record and no transaction shows up in the customer's profile. So I end up having thousands of loyalty customers with points, but no transactions and "Never Visited" show up in the Customer Directory. Really defeats the purpose of having all of that data if the data never connects.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 9 of 15
Super Seller Alumni

Screenshots attached:

Transaction with loyalty & no customer:

Screenshot 2018-08-04 12.37.46.png 

3458 Loyalty Customers with 0 visits but all with loyalty points - they have visited, but the transactions have not attached to them for some reason:

Screenshot 2018-08-04 12.40.07.png

A closer look at one customer - they're all like this:

Screenshot 2018-08-04 12.46.21.png

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 10 of 15
Super Seller Alumni

Just called into CS also, but wanted to make sure y'all saw it here too

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 11 of 15
Admin

Hey @pessosices, thanks for surfacing this and for taking the time to report the issue to our Customer Success team. That reporting discrepancy is confusing.😐 I went to check on this and I see that there's an open case for this issue. We'll be back as soon as any updates come through.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 12 of 15
Super Seller Alumni

Sounds good, thanks @Tom!

After much digging with the awesome dude Douglas on the phone, we were able to figure out that it's Cash Transactions that are no longer being tied to the customer profile of folks with Loyalty - but the strange thing is that this started somewhere around March 17th/18th - before this, cash transactions were in fact showing up in the Customer Profiles.

Douglas said he was going to escalate it to the Engineering team, but needed to pass it over to the Loyalty Team first, so he did that.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 13 of 15
Alumni

Hi Pessos, 

Thank you for sharing that case. This is an example of a duplicated customer profile. The likelihood is that the payment information is attached to another customer while the loyalty activity is attached to a different customer. Can you DM with some direct examples and I can help you figure it out?

Thanks,

Lily

Message 14 of 15
Super Seller Alumni

@lilychiang Thanks - I just messaged you

@LocavoreStore's initial example looks like that case, but all of mine really do not look like duplicates & mis-attached transaction data - I ran a bunch of tests with Douglas on the phone on my own profile and searched through 100+ of the 3500 customer profiles that have no transaction record, plus many more that have incomplete records, and it definitely looks like cash transaction data when using Loyalty are not attaching since March 17/18th

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Message 15 of 15