x

Is there a transaction report that includes the name of the cardholder when a credit card was used?

I can see a list of credit card transactions easily, but it does not include the cardholder.  When drilling down online with the transaction report, I can click on the credit card button to the left and get the cardholder info, but I'd like to simply export that data.  Am I missing that functionality somewhere?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Square

Customer names that are pulled from swiped transactions aren’t available in Dashboard reports or your downloadable CSV reports at the moment, @khkyle. So for the time being, they're only available in the Transactions page, as you've found. 

However, when accepting payments from the Square app, you can add customers to your Customer Directory, which is exportable. 

Hopefully that helps clarify, let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 2 of 24

One of my issues is that the Square credit card process seems to skip the customer set up screen and even the "send a receipt" screen if it knows the cardholder.  Why not at least grab that cardholder in those circumstances so that we can report on it easily?  We used Square at a golf tournament fundraiser recently where many folks are new to us, we have many trying to check in within a minimal time frame, and there's really not the time to stop and enter everyone's name.

Message 3 of 24

I think the credit card users name should be included on the report.  Makes reconciliation much easier.  Who wants to look up each transaction online?  I need the names to enter into a donor system for silent auction items paid.   Cumbersome.

Message 4 of 24
Square Community Moderator

@jkjobe Great feedback for us to take back to our Product Team. Keep an eye out for updates, as we're always looking for ways to improve reporting for Square Sellers!

Message 5 of 24

I don't see the customer names in the swiped transactions either. Am I missing something?

Message 6 of 24
Admin

Hi @Chrysalis, thanks for reaching out and welcome to the seller community!

If @Spenser's reply doesn't clear things up, so that we can make sure we're on the same page: where are you expecting to see your customer's name show up? If you'd like a team member to take a closer look at a specific payment, please feel free to reach out directly. Happy to help!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 7 of 24

Hi Tom,

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus asking for customer info to be exportable in the transactions csv export.  It is really hard to tell how people are responding to new items, ads, or promotions without being able to link transactions to customers.  

Please PLEASE add this functionality!!

P

Message 8 of 24
Admin

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, @spinningjchicag. While we still do not have updates on this request, I will be sure to share your post with our Product Liaison team as well. We appreciate your patience as we work to improve reporting on this.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 9 of 24

This would really be helpfull right about now.  It has been a year it seems since you guys say you are working on it.  I need  the names of the people on the CSV report.  guys, the person is paying for a product.  We have to reconcile that payment in most circumstances.

Message 10 of 24

Hey, it's me again!  The one who started this particular post a year ago and still no report with the customer name on it.  I need it again for our last event.  We are a non-profit and like to minimize the resources and time that our volunteers have to spend helping us with these types of things.  Having card names on the transaction report would make a lot of things easier.

Message 11 of 24

Hello @okUser and @khkyle, currently this is still a feature request we're tracking. Seller feedback plays a big part in making changes to Square Point of Sale, but it's not the only factor. If there's any movement on this a community team member will post an update in the thread. 

In the meantime if you need to collect a customers information I recommend using our Customer Directory feature. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions! 

Message 12 of 24

Customer feedback tells you what your users want to make your app more "usable" and more friendly... there are to many options out there nowadays for you to see something your customers want and a year later, nothing... Just a note.  I do love the square.

Message 13 of 24

All it takes is adding another field to the report.  Nothing to change in the underlying software.

Message 14 of 24

I hear the both of you on this, but things aren't always so black and white when it comes to making changes reports. I would love to see this added as well, but right now we're still collecting feedback for this feature request. And I don't have a timeline I could share for when it might be avalible. 

If there are any updates I will make sure to tag you @okUser and @khkyle

Message 15 of 24

I've also been waiting for this for a year.  Plus other areas that actually provide data for our customers.  For example, why can I only export 300 of my 1100 reachable customers?  Or email customers who bought a specific SKU.  I'm tired of waiting for you to "listen to sellers" and am looking for other POS.

Message 16 of 24

Hi folks,

A couple of things regarding transaction reports.  

(1) I have read through the comments here, and I really can't understand why this reporting feature still doesn't include customer information.  The requisite fields are apparently there, but are not filled (does anything ever appear in the "customer" column of the transaction CSV export?)  

I can come to only two conclusions:

a) you are so short-handed in database technicians that you can't assign someone to link a couple of SQL tables, in which case in my opinion you are missing out on tackling some really how-hanging fruit that would make a lot of us very happy!  Please consider reprioritizing this issue!

or

b) you are deliberately limiting your application to prevent your customers from exporting useful data in order to upsell some reporting add-on.  If this is the case, please at least let us know what that add-on is so we can consider buying it!

(2) I have been scratching my head to figure out a workaround, and the only one I could come up with was filtering a transaction report by the last 4 digits of the customer's credit card. The problem with that is that the "Export" feature apparently ignores all filters except the date range when generating the CSV.  Is this a bug or by design?

Message 17 of 24

They are absolutely correct in their complaints of this.  I have been working around this with square on my clients for years.  This is totally unacceptable that you cant see who made the purchase.  I have numerous clients who use this on a daily basis.  I am going to look for another option.  This takes too much time to track and thereby is a much too expensive way of doing business.  

Message 18 of 24

This is absolute insanity, we use Square for accepting donations at fundraising events. After the the first event I went to look at my reports and there were no names! I was told that my swiper was old so it couldn't capture the customer names. Bummer. Ok, got a new swiper. Now after our last event I go to look at my reports. Well, no names. I look at the transactions the names are there, but seems to be no way to export them. Now I see this has been a known issue for over a year and Square has done nothing about it! I give up, time to find a new provider.

Message 19 of 24

We are now coming up on two years since several of us asked for this additional customer detail on exported transaction reports and I am about to need this for our next event.  Is this going to happen anytime soon?  Does your not fixing the issue have something to do with credit card security concerns? Just trying to understand why the name of the cardholder won't show on the report.

Message 20 of 24
Admin

Hello @khkyle! Have you tried to downloaded the Transactions CSV report? You can sort that report by the "Customer Name" column. Though it sounds like you might be looking for even more customer detail. Can you let me know a bit about your event and what you need?

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 21 of 24