x

Why isn't my chip and pin reader not acknowledging cards?

I'm now on my third chip and pin reader... This one - when it connects - doesn't acknowledge that there is a card in the reader.  I have updated the Square app, I have charged the reader, I have done a hard restart on the reader, I have uninstalled and reinstalled both the app and the reader.  All to no avail.  This is by far the most frustration I have had with Square.  I have used their processing for the last three years and haven't had issues until this reader came out, now I'm on - as I said - my third one... 

Thank you for any help.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

If you have not granted the Square Reader permission to access your headphone port, the app cannot connect with the reader. I know when I first plugged mine in, I was prompted to grant permission.

Message 2 of 7
Square

@LushBaubles - Thanks for the tip! 

@mnorton1230 - This definitely sounds frustrating! Would you mind sharing what type of smartphone or tablet you are using? Do you have a cover or protective case on that device? If so, have you tried removing it and trying? Does the reader appear to charge up all the way (green light when plugged in)? 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 3 of 7

I experencing almost the same problem with the $49.00 chip Reader!  The swipe unit works fine.  However, I get the middle finger from the devices (I either use, a laptop PC (windows 10) or a Smart Phone.  I have loaded the Square Apps on both and, I have never use both at the same time, yet).  Which brings up anpther question, "Can I utilize the same Square Account from multiple locations with additional reading devices"?  I hope so.  I getting to the point were I have displays at multiple locations at the same time.  Sometimes in excess of four (4) on the same day!

Message 4 of 7
Square

@ch46d - Sorry to hear about the trouble! To get going, we don't currently support Window's devices - so that explains why that device isn't working. As for your smartphone, what type of device are you using? What happens when you try to pair the device? For your second question, you can most certainly be logged into multiple devices using the same account. We have no sort of limit. Look forward to hearing back! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 7

Having a similar problem. The reader will not connect or let me swipe or chip on my iPhone. Had 4 chip magstripe readers. 

Just bought a new phone. Same problem.how do I give permission to usetheheadphone jack?

Message 6 of 7
Admin

Hey @User1952, are you still encountering trouble with this? Sorry for the frustration—that shouldn't be happening. 😕

You should have received a notification asking to enable the proper permissions when you downloaded the Point of Sale app on your new phone. Enabling settings varies a bit on Android and iOS but you'll want to head over to your phone's settings and make sure Point of Sale has access to the following permissions: Permissions Required for the Square App.

If this doesn't clear things up, please get in touch with our Customer Success team. They'll be able to take a deeper dive into your settings.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 7 of 7