x

Square Chip Card Reader not working properly

So my Reader which takes Swipe or Chip will only take a manual entry which of course costs more in Square Fees.  When I go into setting it says (1) device connected by when I open it is says connecting.

Any thoughts

Thanks,

Chris

Message 1 of 106
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

So sorry to hear about the issues! With a little troubleshooting, we should be able to get you up and running. 

To get started, please try out these tips from our Support Center article: Square Chip Card Reader Tips and Troubleshooting

• Remove any case or cover from your device. Some cases prevent the reader from plugging in completely.
  • Update to the latest version of the Square app.
  • Make sure you’re using a supported device. Check out our Device Comptability page to double check.
  • Unplug the reader and plug it back in while the Square app is open.
  • Delete and reinstall the Square app. See Apple or Google support for instructions.
  • Plug the reader into a power source, leave it for 1-5 minutes, and then plug it back into the device. 
  • If you see “Please try inserting again, chip could not be read,” remove the card and insert it again until you hear a click. Keep the card in place until the payment completes.
  • If you see the message “Reader Damaged,” the reader is broken and you’ll need to request a new one.
  • If you’re using an Apple device, make sure the audio volume balance is exactly in the middle. To check, visit your device’s settings > tap General > Accessibility. Scroll down to the hearing section and move the “audio volume balance” directly in the middle.
  • If you’re using an Android device, make sure that any audience enhancement features (such as One M8, Clari-fi, or Beats Bass Boost) are turned off – they can disrupt the connection between your reader and device.
  • If you see the error message, “Register needs VoiceOver to be turned off,” go to your device settings and tap General > Accessibility > VoiceOver and turn off VoiceOver. This may also be “S Voice” or “Talkback” on your device. If that doesn’t do the trick, turn off Mono Audio from your device settings.

If you’ve tried all the troubleshooting steps and you’re still having issues, you can go ahead and submit a warranty claim.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 106
105 REPLIES 105

I am having the same problem, hope someone can answer this!

Message 2 of 106
Square

Best Answer

So sorry to hear about the issues! With a little troubleshooting, we should be able to get you up and running. 

To get started, please try out these tips from our Support Center article: Square Chip Card Reader Tips and Troubleshooting

• Remove any case or cover from your device. Some cases prevent the reader from plugging in completely.
  • Update to the latest version of the Square app.
  • Make sure you’re using a supported device. Check out our Device Comptability page to double check.
  • Unplug the reader and plug it back in while the Square app is open.
  • Delete and reinstall the Square app. See Apple or Google support for instructions.
  • Plug the reader into a power source, leave it for 1-5 minutes, and then plug it back into the device. 
  • If you see “Please try inserting again, chip could not be read,” remove the card and insert it again until you hear a click. Keep the card in place until the payment completes.
  • If you see the message “Reader Damaged,” the reader is broken and you’ll need to request a new one.
  • If you’re using an Apple device, make sure the audio volume balance is exactly in the middle. To check, visit your device’s settings > tap General > Accessibility. Scroll down to the hearing section and move the “audio volume balance” directly in the middle.
  • If you’re using an Android device, make sure that any audience enhancement features (such as One M8, Clari-fi, or Beats Bass Boost) are turned off – they can disrupt the connection between your reader and device.
  • If you see the error message, “Register needs VoiceOver to be turned off,” go to your device settings and tap General > Accessibility > VoiceOver and turn off VoiceOver. This may also be “S Voice” or “Talkback” on your device. If that doesn’t do the trick, turn off Mono Audio from your device settings.

If you’ve tried all the troubleshooting steps and you’re still having issues, you can go ahead and submit a warranty claim.

Sean
he/him/his
Message 3 of 106

My new square chip card reader (30.00 one) worked in February but at a show last weekend, it wouldn't do more than one transaction without needing to be put back on its charger.  I had kept it on the charger since February as I thought that was better than having to recharge before latest show sales, but now.....  Any suggestions?

Message 4 of 106
Admin

Hi @SacredLaughter, thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear about the trouble with your Chip Card Reader. If you haven't had the chance already — I'd recommend giving Sean's troubleshooting suggestions a try as these usually resolve any kind of reader issues right away.

If, after that, you're still having trouble — please submit a warranty claim. Hope this helps!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 5 of 106

I have the same problem with mine.  It will not hold a charge for more than one transaction. Did you solve your problem?

Message 6 of 106

Yes it did!  So far.  We used it last yesterday from 4 PM to 7:30 PM for 20 transactions and no problems!  We just replaced the reader holder/charger not the chip reader itself.

Message 7 of 106

I think I am having some type of issue similar to the above.  I just loaded the Register ap.  My ios is updated.  In my home I cannot get the card to swipe.  I took it to my friend's house and she had no problem with the card swipe.  I came back home and cannot get it to work again.  I noticed that the info bar at the top which indicates the power level, time, service provider, wifi symbol, etc. is grey in color as if the ap is not active or working.  Have I got a setting plugged in incorrectly?

Message 8 of 106
Square Community Moderator

@mkirby Have you tried the tips listed in the links that Tom provided above?

Message 9 of 106

Yes I did.  My signal was strong in the house.  We figured out that my case was getting in the way.  We took the case off completely so the reader could contact completely and strongly.  It worked consistently after that.  

Message 10 of 106

I have got 2times unable to process when I used square reader that can I not charge anymore?

Message 11 of 106
Square

@tekuri678 Make sure your battery is charged and check out Sean's other tips at the top of this thread. 

Message 12 of 106

HI Kelly, Yes I did. My signal was strong in the house. We figured out that my case was getting in the way. We took the case off completely so the reader could contact completely and strongly. It worked consistently after that.  

Message 13 of 106

What do you mean by case? Phone or iPad? Had the same problem today. 

Message 14 of 106

I'm having the same problem all of a sudden after using the chip reader successfully for months with my iPhone & iPad. I've tried all the troubleshooting tips listed here and nothing works. Since last week I've had to key in chip card charges instead of dipping the card, so with each transaction I have to pay the 3.5% rate. Help!!!

Message 15 of 106

Hi JF, my signal was strong in the house. We figured out that my case was getting in the way. We took the case off completely so the reader could contact completely and strongly. It worked consistently after that.  So we are having different issues.  I would contact the company.  Maybe the reader is not working any longer.

Message 16 of 106
Beta Member

swiping the card will always work...that's what I do when the chip reader is not working properly.

Message 17 of 106

Frankly, this issue has reached the point that I will have to look for another company, even though I have loved Square. However, this is such a frustrating problem - having to manually enter card numbers at events - that I cannot deal with it any longer. I know that I am not the only one and cannot figure out why Square is not address this issue. 

Message 18 of 106

I received a chip ccard reader and not able to get it to work.  It is chrged.  Since the reader oes not work I end up with a higher transaction fee by just imputting on the phone.

Message 19 of 106
Square

Hi @ochs — Sorry to hear about the trouble. Please check out the troubleshooting steps in this thread. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 20 of 106

None of the suggestions have done anything to fix my chip reader problems! This problem has only appeared over the past month, on a year old reader.  Most commonly I get a combination of endless "connecting to reader" and "reader connected" prompts but no card reading.  Sometimes it will read the card and prompt "preparing payment," but either never get to authorization or I get "payment failed."  Only about 1 in 10 tries are successful.  What can I do to make this thing work? This is not acceptable and will not work at a show, where I often have a queue of customers lined up waiting to charge! Even without a defective reader prompt, could it be that the readers only last a year?
Message 21 of 106