x
Square

Introducing Square Register

Square Register is a purpose-built, complete point of sale system. Square Register is built entirely by Square so you can sell confidently knowing everything just works.

Square Register-1.png

The Square Register features a customer facing display to let your customers track items, complete sales, and update contact information on their own. The dedicated customer display lets customers pay intuitively while our fast card processing speed keeps your line moving.

Square Register-2.png

You can also connect printers, cash drawers and scanners, using USB or Ethernet depending of the accessory. Check out a full list of our supported hardware on our Support Center.

Square Register is available for purchase individually for $999 or as a kit with accessories included for $1499 at the Square shop.

Message 1 of 87
86 REPLIES 86
Super Seller

😳  😳  🤔

Interesting development by bringing hardware in-house rather than an iPad.  Also, interesting transaction fee pricing which will lower the overall rate for anyone with $40 or higher average which would pay for the unit in the savings.

Message 2 of 87
Super Seller

Message 3 of 87
Square

Hi! Thanks for your question.

You can use all of the backend features of Square for Retail with Square Register (multi-location inventory management, cost of goods sold and profit reporting, purchase order creation, etc.) through your Square Dashboard. But the Square for Retail point of sale app won’t run directly on Square Register.

Message 4 of 87
Super Seller

So I'm running a custom version of Square POS but have selected Square for Retail features on my Square Register? Is that included in the pricing of Square Register or am I also paying for Square for Retail monthly? The more products you add, the more complicated it gets to understand what used to be Square's simplicity.

Message 5 of 87

This looks awesome! One question: if I buy the whole set for $999, do I still have to pay a monthly fee for Retail, or is that included?

Message 6 of 87
Square Community Moderator

@dbosen Square for Retail is a bundled software add on that isn't included with the new Square Register, so you'd still pay the monthly fee for that. 

As  @SaraSanchez mentioned earlier, the Square for Retail app can't be run directly on the Square Register hardware, but all of the backend features (multi-location inventory management, cost of goods sold and profit reporting, purchase order creation, etc.) will still be available to use through your Square Dashboard. 

Message 7 of 87
Super Seller

I just saw this online... I could kick myself for just spending nearly a grand on another setup with the now old register, new ipad, cashbox, printer, scanner, etc. 

This is sexy! I kept waiting for more integration with the Customer Facing Display beta app. Using proprietary hardware was probably the hangup all along. Can't wait to order my new hardware. 

Message 8 of 87

If I'm reading this right, the percentage fee goes down slightly but with an added 10¢ swipe fee? Is this a system-wide change, or only applied to those who install the new Square Register?

Message 9 of 87

Hi @kaffehaus

The 2.5% + 10¢ per transaction only applies to card present payments (tap, dip, or swipe) taken on Square Register.

For payments taken on existing Square hardware, the fees will stay the same.

Fees for Card Not Present payments and Square Invoices will stay the same as well. 

Message 10 of 87

Thus my question: why different rates for different equipment? You're proposing I and similar retailers pay $1,000 for the benefit of paying more per transaction. (Avg ticket is around $6.50)

Message 11 of 87
Super Seller

Super intrigued by this slick looking setup.  So since I have 2 Square stand setups using ethernet printer and cash drawers, can I just slide out the Square Stands and slip this in in its place and printers will work like they did?

Message 12 of 87

@VanKalkerFarms So long as your accessories are compatible, you should be able to use the Square Register with no trouble. 

Check out the Support Center article that lists compatible hardware with Square Register: 

Supported Hardware for Square Register

Message 13 of 87

So no third party apps on Square Register.  Does that mean that a cafe currently running two Square Stands and running the KDS app on two kitchen displays will be unable to do that with Square Register?

Secondly does that customer display still have the option of a tipping screen prior to signature screen?

Lastly, we have 4 cafes using Square but would one at a time swith to Register.  Will all locations still be seen on dashboard?

Message 14 of 87

I am trying to figure this out also. My cafe uses two stands currently, if this new register won’t work with them then that would suck. 

Message 15 of 87
Super Seller

Square register can be used together with SquarePOS running on square stands. 

Message 16 of 87
Super Seller

Message 17 of 87

Can my cafe use the new register and iPad + stand at same time? 

Message 18 of 87
Super Seller

@George1991 Square register can be used together at a store with Square POS running on square stands

Message 19 of 87
Beta Member

Where are you getting the "road map" info from? KDS has some of the worst customer service. The app does exactly what it needs to do for us, but any cs dealing have been a joke.

The fact that the current KDS plug-in only works with Square on the Apple platform and will only transmit to an Andriod tablet as a reciept printer, doesn't give me much confidence we'll see them port this over to the new POS anytime soon.

Message 20 of 87
Super Seller

The on the roadmap comment was posted in another thread.  I agree that it sounds complicated to transition FreshKDS and their lack of support.  maybe this means Square is bringing KDS support in-house, but maybe it just means they are figuring out a workaround, I don't know and don't know any timetable either.

Message 21 of 87