x
Square

Introducing Square Register

Square Register is a purpose-built, complete point of sale system. Square Register is built entirely by Square so you can sell confidently knowing everything just works.

Square Register-1.png

The Square Register features a customer facing display to let your customers track items, complete sales, and update contact information on their own. The dedicated customer display lets customers pay intuitively while our fast card processing speed keeps your line moving.

Square Register-2.png

You can also connect printers, cash drawers and scanners, using USB or Ethernet depending of the accessory. Check out a full list of our supported hardware on our Support Center.

Square Register is available for purchase individually for $999 or as a kit with accessories included for $1499 at the Square shop.

Message 1 of 87
86 REPLIES 86
Square Community Moderator

@SKRestaurant Only orders made through the  latest version of Square Point of Sale on an iPad integrate with the Fresh KDS app, so it's not compatible with Square Register. 

The customer display will reflect the tipping options you have setup, and nothing changes to your existing Square accounts or locations on your Square Dashboard. 

@George1991 as @VanKalkerFarms, you can use Square Register alongside your current Square Stands running the Point of Sale app to take payments. 

Message 22 of 87
Super Seller

Do you know if the new Customer Facing Display interfaces with the loyalty program at all? I see that customers can leave a tip and probably sign on the new display, but will they be able to enter their loyalty #, or be able to see their loyalty status on the screen in any way? 

Message 23 of 87
Beta Member

Can someone confirm? Will the loyalty program work with the new Customer Facing Display?

Message 24 of 87

@LocavoreStore @meros Square Register supports Loyalty accrual and reward redemption.

The only change is the Customer Display will reflect the accrued stars to the customer 🙌🏼

Message 25 of 87
Super Seller Alumni

There are a couple of extra screens there that the customer has to click through to fully accept and claim their stars, but yes, it works! The customer types in their own number on the customer facing display

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 26 of 87
Beta Member

I was ready to order the new system in a split second until I calculated that I would be losing money.
My transactions are small, on $5 I would be paying $0.225 with the new system or 0.1375 with old iPad stand.

On 5000 transactions it would be $1125 vs $ 687.5 ($437.5 lost)
And I have a lot of smaller transactions that are $1-$3.5 where it will cost me even more.

I love the new system, unfortunately paying $999 to have a fancy system won’t justify higher transaction cost. (For business with small transactions.)

Message 27 of 87

@Lima You're correct here and kudos for working out the math for the rest of the sellers thinking about making the switch to Square Register. 

The pricing structure results in a more competitive rate for sellers that have high transaction volume and an average transaction size larger than $40.00. 

Message 28 of 87

For September, my effective percentage of fees to gross sales was 3.4%. (You guys increased my rate from 2.7% a long time ago.) My average ticket was $7.66, and the fee on that would have been $0.26. Under the modified fees of the new register, I would pay 2.5% + $0.10, which on a $7.66 ticket would be $0.19 + $0.10 = $0.29.

I’d love to use the new hardware, I think it would speed up sales and ultimately make both Square and me more revenue, but I’m having a hard time getting around the $0.03 average increase per ticket, which by itself would end up being well over $4,000 in added fees for me over the course of a year.

If the intent with the new fee structure is to help higher-ticket retailers, so be it. But why not make it optional? 

Message 29 of 87

I noticed that you stated this is best served for merchants with high volume of transactions and check average over $40.00.  What is the guidance or benchmark for the number of transactions to be considered high volume? 

Message 30 of 87

EJ:  I am evaluating the Square Register for purchase at a multi-unit location.  I will need 7 terminals.  I have a few POS sales people trying to get me to buy their system.  However, it is very hard to get information about this systems, subscription costs, merchant fees, etc.  Do you have any ideas on how I can get more information.  I discovered this blog by calling into the support line.  Thanks.

Message 31 of 87
Super Seller

@OntheBeach, the Rate to accept credit cards with Square Register is 2.5% + 10¢ per transaction. If you do more than $250,000 a year in credit card sales you have the possibility of a lower rate, you can contact sales here about that https://squareup.com/sales

All pricing here https://squareup.com/pricing

there is no monthly fee, no deposit fee, no batch fee, no pci compliance fee, no reward card fee, no monthly minimum, so what you see is what you pay. 

Also no high credit card terminal fees (Squares contactless reader is $49) others can be $300-$1,500. 

You can can get the new Square Register with customer facing display for $999, or you can use 9.7” iPads in Square Stands for ballpark $380 right now for the pair. 

You can purchase additional services such as marketing, loyalty, employee management, etc for a monthly fee or per user fee. 

Message 32 of 87

It looks like Square Register is running on Android. I would love to see some technical and design related information about this decision.

Message 33 of 87

Hi @zder

You’re correct on this, as Square Register uses a custom OS running on Android.

Was there something in particular you had questions about?

Message 34 of 87
Beta Member

How about the loyalty program? Will it work with the new Customer Display?

Message 35 of 87
Super Seller

From a post in the beta group regarding the customer facing display.  

" The customer has the ability enter phone number, email and claim or enroll in the loyalty program."

Message 36 of 87

I was going to order this but 10 cents a transaction is a scam. 

Message 37 of 87
Beta Member

We were ready to order as well, until we realize we'll have to pay for an additional "Square Register" feature to get the proper inventory features everyone has been asking for.  It feels like Square is pivoting to tradition retail and abandoning the base cafe/coffee shop businesses that have helped carry Square along.  We're pretty disappointed and the additional fees and lack of progress with some of the missing backend features, make Clover, Revel, and Toast  more attractive.

Message 38 of 87

Hi @VCB

We're not abandoning any of our sellers, especially not our cafe/coffee shops ❤️

Square Stand isn't going anywhere, and we essentially look at Square Stand and Square Register as two separate products in which one or the other might fit certain businesses better. 

We'll continue to garner feedback from you and advocate to our Product Teams on your behalf to make changes that help your business grow. 

Thanks for being patient with us thus far. 

Message 39 of 87
Beta Member

@EJ_ that's sort of my beef. Why 2 products? Since when did a cafe not need to track inventory costs, etc?  It feels like a programmer mentality vs realworld.  A shoe store is no different than a restaurant, both business need to track sales, costs and inventory assets, etc. When I see comments like "just run Square POS along side Square Retail" it makes my head spin. Thats a sloppy work around to suit Square's shortcoming and one I have zero intrest in pursuing. Why not just kill square POS and add features like remote ticketing (KDS) to Square Retail and just call it SQUARE?

Message 40 of 87

Finally the new hardware is here and it looks great!!  BUT wait, what's this?  No self-ordering kiosk mode?  Clearly the customer facing screen is only suitable to review and sign...that's not very forward-thinking Square!  95% of my regular customers would be capable of ordering themselves and having a POS that accomodates that would be a great benefit to me in saving payroll hours.  I've waited over 2 years for this feature to get baked into Square, but it doesn't seem like anyone there really understands how small businesses need to run in this day of ever-increasing minimum wage regs.

Disappointed.

Message 41 of 87

Oh, AND there's still a cable on TOP of my counter?  ::FACEPALM::

Message 42 of 87