x

How do restauranteurs customize their modifiers for different items

For example, I have a veggies modifier group for my sandwiches.  Romaine and tomatoes are on the Turkey, but pickles and mustard are on the Cuban.

How are other people setting up their recipes for their menu items as far as extras, subtractions and customizations?

Apparently square used to allow pre-selected and specific numbers of modifiers to be customized for each item, see here:

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5696-customize-modifiers-for-order-entry

But these features were removed according to customer service, so I'm wondering what the best way is to handle these situations for restaurant owners...?

My concern is, is square stepping away from focusing on restaurants and moving towards more general retail businesses as their main focus, and I should go find a niche restaurant only POS system?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hey @bpgridley, thanks for surfacing.

Very sorry for any inconvenience. Customizing modifiers for specific items is only available for sellers who haven't activated the multiple location feature. While I don't have access to a specific timeline, we are working to make modifier customizations available for accounts as soon as possible.

We love restaurants and we're committed to making sure Register sets you up for success! Rest assured that I'll be sharing your experience with our product liaison team. Thank you for your patience and feel free to reply with any other insight.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 4

Thanks very much for the response, Tom.

I'm confused because I only have one location.  I've gone back and forth with support over email and spent an hour on the phone yesterday, with the result being them telling me this feature was removed...?  So you're saying I should have access to this, since I only have one location? I don't see any on/off switch for multiple locations.  Could you please advise me on what to do next?

Bernie

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hi Bernie, apologies for the confusion. That had previously been the case and I was going off of my past working knowledge.

It looks like there are still some kinks that need to be ironed out so it's disabled for the time being. I'm going to dig deeper and I'll follow up here as soon as I uncover any updates.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 4