x

Loyalty Stars not added automatically after adding Loyalty Customer Record to Sale

Folks,

When a customer (who has signed up for our Square Loyalty Program) is added to a sale and then pays in cash, their loyalty stars are not always added to their customer record automatically. This inconsistancy in the Square POS user experience is confusing for both the cashier and the customer.

Square Loyalty Program customers paying with cards have a seemless experience when their earned loyalty stars are automatically added to their Square customer record. Square Loyalty Program customers paying with cash (even when their record is added to the sale by a cashier) may or may not have their earned loyalty stars automatically added to their Square customer record. When the loyalty stars are not added automatically, the Square POS requests their phone-number, as if they were not already a Loyalty Program customer or the cashier did not add their Customer Record to the sale.

After experiencing this issue repeatedly in our retail setting, it seems like a bug.

It would be great if this issue could be addressed so that the Loyalty Program customer paying with cash experience could be as smooth as the card paying experience.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Thanks zder. We actaully have the same problem. I am wondering why nobody is picking up this problem. It worked fine for a while. All the sudden there are major problems with the Square Loyalty App. We actually realized Square POS is giving us the screen information there were stars added to the customer account, but after pulling up the customer there were no stars added at all. Very weird. I wish there would be a reliable third party app like the ones for accounting, the eCommerce etc. 

Message 2 of 13

So, I'm on here trying to figure out how to manually add stars to transactions/edit at all and also how to find out how much I've redeemed (as in, how much rewards given out? What are they choosing to redeem on?). I can't find any reports on that. 

But, what I have found is that hard starting (turning off and on) my ipad helped a lot. What others have posted is switching from 'square' ap to 'square register' ap (apparently both are available, can be confusing) has helped others with stars/no star issues. So, I hope either of those things can help you.

Message 3 of 13
Admin

Hey @octopuscoffee2, you can manually add stars to a customer's reward status in the Point of Sale app by doing the following:

1. Tap the three horizontal lines.
  2. Select Customers > All Customers.
  3. Choose the appropriate customer.
  4. Next to Loyalty, select Edit and adjust stars using the + or - signs.
  5. Save.

You'll be able to view how much you've redeemed with Loyalty discounts for a given time period by heading over to your Sales tab and selecting Discounts.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit more. Please let us know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 13

Thanks for all the valuable infos. I was working with the manual point feature. But first, the problem with the manual points are the same, they are not saved to to the customer. Second, adding points for each customer by the end of the day manually is quite incovenient. The idea behind a paid loyalty should be a automated and reliable serevice. For me right now it isn't reliable. Still having these issues after restart, relaunch, update. Nothing helped.

Message 5 of 13

Nov 2021 and I am experiencing this same issue.  We have been using loyalty for a few months now.  Cash paying customers do NOT get their loyalty points automatically applied (card paying customers have been seamless). 

Even if adding the customer to the sale (and confirming loyalty is set up/on) before moving to the payment screen, points are not automatically applied.    Going back and manually adding points is ridiculous, especially for what we pay for the program, retail and processing. 😞  

Message 6 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Welcome back to the Community, @SweetRepeat

I wanted to get a little bit more detail on how you're adding the customer to the transaction. 

Are you adding them before or after the transaction? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 13

It doesn't seem to matter if adding the customer to the sale is the first thing we do.  😞

Though, functionally, adding a customer before anything is scanned really should not be needed for loyalty to work.  Its not practical.

Message 8 of 13
Square Community Moderator

@SweetRepeat

Completely understand. I would be happy to float this over to our Loyalty Product Team, so they can look into improving this portion of the program. 

Thank you for taking the time to reach out about this and providing your feedback. This is essential in the evolution of our platforms. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 13

It seems like it might be most logical (and uniform) if even after a cash transaction, the sale ends on the "would you like to sign up for points" screen where customers can enter their phone number.  

Message 10 of 13

Hi there, any updates on this issue?  We are at the point (especially given the inability to opt for no discount stacking with loyalty) to consider other loyalty programs ... or go back to a physical punch card even.  We need function 🙂 

Message 11 of 13
Alumni

@zder are you still experiencing this issue? If so, please provide me an example transaction. 

Message 12 of 13

Thanks for your reply. We have set-up our own reward tool using Square API to fetch transaction. This more flexible.

Message 13 of 13