x

Connecting Issues with Galaxy S7.

I currently use a card reader (chip/swipe) with my iphone6 and have no issues.  I purchased another reader (chip/swipe) for my son and wife to use with their Galaxy S7.  We are having connection issues when used with the Galaxy but no issues when used with my iphone6.  Any assistance is very much appreciated. 

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Square

Hi @rust2relics. Sorry to hear about the trouble! To get going, have you already had a chance to check your device on our compatibility page? Also, would you mind providing more details about what happens when you insert the reader? Have you already tried these troubleshooting steps?

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 22

I have a Galaxy S7 with Spring and the Chip Reader and have been having issues. I didn't notice this phone on the list...is it supported? If not, do you know when?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 22
Admin

Hey @LifeBalance,

The Galaxy S7 Edge with Sprint is compatible with our Contactless and Chip Reader. Is that the phone you have? If so, I'd suggest giving these troubleshooting tips a run-through, as they usually resolve any issue right away. Hope this helps, and let us know how it goes!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 22

I just upgraged and have a galaxy 7s with sprint and haven't been able to use my swiper.  I looked on the compatiblity link and it has every carrier except Sprint listed under the 7s.  Do I need to contact sprint?   

Message 5 of 22
Alumni

Hi @THBaisden - sorry you're having trouble using the magstripe reader with your new phone. While it isn't listed on our compatibility page, you are welcome to take a look at Sean's post with troubleshooting steps for the reader

I hope that helps, please feel free to reply with any other questions on this. 

Message 6 of 22

Thanks!  I tried the steps on the link you shared and it still doesn't work ;-( .  I have a new swiper coming next week so maybe I just wore the other one out.   It is strange that the Galazy 7 Edge with Sprint is compatiable but not the S7.   Is there a way to get it compatiable?  Is that on The Square's end or Sprints?  

Message 7 of 22

Hey @THBaisden

If a device is not on the compatibility list, it just means that we haven't tested it. So we won't be able to guarantee that Square Point of Sale or our readers are compatible. Compatibility usually depends on the capabilities of the hardware and software. 

Please let us know how it goes with the new reader! 😃

Message 8 of 22

Well...the S7 is not new anymore. I'm just using the old reader, and that works, but would like to use the chip reader that I bought from you (which did not work)...😕

Message 9 of 22

Sean's troubleshoot post was with the chip reader.  The problem a lot of us are having is with the mag strip reader.

Message 10 of 22
Alumni

Hey @sk8way - Have you already tried the Magstripe Troubleshooting tips? If those have not worked out for you, please reach out to our Support team and they can advise on any next steps.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 11 of 22

Dude, it won't connect with a galaxy s7 and your website says it should. I ordered a replacement from the first one I bought from you guys and it also doesn't work and my Galaxy S7 but it will work in my super old Galaxy tablet. And I have gone through troubleshooting three times. We need a different answer

Message 12 of 22

i had problems with my S-7 not connected to the square reader for days - finally i rebooted the phone and voila - it connected!~!!!

Message 13 of 22

I have follwed all you suggestions and still cant get the reader to pair with my phone which is a Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge so is compatible. I have read the links you suggest and do have one question - is the reader supposed to be placed into the device or cradle WHEN i am attempting to pair it with the phone?

Message 14 of 22

I'm having the same issues. Was told by support that the Samsung S7 from Sprint is NOT a compatible device...but was unable to get any sort of explanation why the S7 from Sprint is NOT compatible when the S7 from ATT, Verizon and T-Mobile are all compatible. Do the companies make minor changes to the base phone from Samsung that would make them incompatible with Square? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Message 15 of 22

I got a new card reader and it seems to be working just fine now.  

Message 16 of 22
Alumni

That's a good question @GivingTreeSoaps! I'm sorry, I really don't know the differences between a phone available at Verizon, AT&T, Sprint or other carriers. I would try asking Sprint what makes their model of the Samsung Galaxy S7 different from the other carriers and incompatible with Square

Do any other sellers out there have experience with the Samsung Galaxy S7 that might know what's limiting the Sprint version of the phone?

Message 17 of 22

My Samsung Galaxy Edge is NOT pairing and it is a Bell Phone. So maybe that is an issue?? How do i find out?

Message 18 of 22
Alumni

Hi @Wildartsweb - Have you checked out our device compatibility page? You'll see if your device is compatible there and you can find some troubleshooting steps for your reader in our help center, squareup.com/help.

Message 19 of 22

got it to pair eventually after a few days - they i did one tap sale to check it out and it that registered. but then it registered 2 other tapthat never happened and they showed up in my reports. average glitches?

Message 20 of 22

I have a galaxy s7 that is verizon and it doesnt work. Works on an old ass tablet though. Weird.

Message 21 of 22