x

How do you wirelessly connect the Contactless + Chip Card reader?

I have just received a new contactless + chip reader and it will not pair. I have tried all the steps with no success. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Alumni

Hi @OwenG - welcome to the 👥 community!

The Contactless + Chip Card reader can be connected to supported Apple and Android phones and tablets (Square Point of Sale and associated hardware is not compatible with other devices like laptop computers at this time). 

The Contactless + Chip Card reader connects wirelessly via Bluetooth (Bluetooth LE). Make sure you have updated your device to the latest version of Square Point of Sale before connecting your reader.

To connect your reader:

1. Press and release the button on your reader to turn it on.
  2. Go to your device settings and make sure Bluetooth is turned on.
  3. Open the Square app and tap the three horizontal lines.
  4. Tap Settings, then tap Card Readers, then tap Connect a Reader (from iOS, tap Contactless + Chip Reader).
  5. Make sure your reader is in pairing mode by pressing the button on the reader (press for 3-10 seconds, be sure to remove your finger as soon as you see orange flashing lights. If you see red flashing lights, you’ve held the button too long and you’ll need to try again).

When connected, the reader will be listed as Ready in-app.

You can also watch this video to see how to connect the Contactless + Chip Card reader to your device: 

Message 2 of 12

I do not need you to send me copies of instructions that came with the unit and are on u tube.

I would like to find a remedy for this situation that I have repeatedly tried to pair the device with the instructions supplied. There is obviously a problem with some installations as these complaints are fairly common here.

Message 3 of 12
Alumni

Hey @OwenG

I'm really sorry that this did not help get your reader connected. Can you let me know any more details about what is not working?

• Are you using a supported device?
  • Are you seeing an error message?
  • Is the Point of Sale app up to date?
  • Is there anything else that is happening different from the video above that may help me better understand this issue?

Having some more information will make it easier for me to help you get this working. 

Message 4 of 12

Im having trouble pairing the device as well. It gives me an error message that says my developer options need to be disabled

Message 5 of 12
Alumni

Hey @Healthunit53535

It sounds like you may be using an unsupported device. Square Point of Sale and the associated hardware is compatible with Apple and Android phones and tablets. What device are you trying to pair with the Contactless + Chip Card reader?

Message 6 of 12

This reply was created from moving a comment from an existing thread: “How can I reach customer service? The account code they provide doesn't work.”. The original author has been notified via email.

My chip card reader isn’t working I think I need a new one sent to me please

Message 7 of 12
Alumni

Hi @Stephaniehoene - welcome to the community.

Please make sure to follow all of the steps here in this thread to connect your reader. If the reader won't connect, be sure to review all of the troubleshooting steps for the Contactless + Chip Card reader

If you still can't get the reader to work, please contact our Support Team for more help. 

Message 8 of 12

I'm using a Samsung Tab 2 7.0 (listed as a compatible device), just installed the Square app, I have the reader all charged and in pairing mode, I go to menu-settings-hardware-card readers, and there's no button to add a card reader.  It just says "Regiter connects wirelessly to the Contactless + Chip Reader.  See the Square Shop for more details."  Then "Learn More" and the different types of readers, but the blue "connect a reader" from the video is completely missing. 

Message 9 of 12
Admin

Hmm, that's odd @Lightbringer. Can you check the Google Play store for an update to the Point of Sale app? Missing features usually indicate that you're on an older version of the app. I also recommend making sure that you're using the latest version of Android software (the minimum requirement is 5.0). 

If you're still not seeing the Connect a Reader button call our CS team and they'll be able to take a closer look.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 10 of 12

I can’t seem to connect my contactless reader to my chrome ebook . I’ve tried with the cord as well

Message 11 of 12
Admin

Hi @Sunroomfl! I've moved your question to this thread so you can take a look and see that the Contactless & Chip reader isn't compatible with laptops. You can check out the compatibility here.

Hope this helps!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 12 of 12