x

iCloud storage & backup

I have 3 iPads which are used only for Pandora, TimeClock and Square Register. No pics, no apps except the ones you can't delete. However since I started using Square register, my iCloud storage is being eaten up fast. I purchased the extra 50MB for 99¢ a month but it's almost full again. So I am wondering if iCloud is backing up all the info from the Square Register... which would explain why I am running out of iCloud space... Has anyone experience the same thing?

PS) I will delete the register app from iCloud since it is already backed up by Square and see what happens.

Thank you all, Thierry

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller

I don't back up my full devices to iCloud, so I can't promise how that's working on yours, but my Register app only takes up 125MB on my iPad.  You can see what is using your iCloud space by checking the Storage & iCloud Usage section of the General Settings on your iPad.  Something strange must be happening like a device you weren't expecting to be backing up actually is.  The 50GB of extra storage for the 99¢ is a lot of storage.

Message 2 of 12
Square Community Moderator

To add on to @VanKalkerFarms response, all of your Square account information is stored in Square's database, as Square is a cloud based app. It shouldn't be using up much space if any at all. 

Message 3 of 12

How would one restore from a backup? Where do you go on the site?

Message 4 of 12
Square

@yesteam10218 - There's no need to worry about restoring from a backup with regards to your Square account. All of your information is stored online by us. Regardless of what might happen to your individual device, we'll always keep your Square data backed up for you. You just need to sign into our app with your username and password - and we'll make sure your data is always there. 😀

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 12

I have a similiar problem. My icloud is almost full and I do not put anything on my Ipad Stand with register app.  The Square Register app is backing up to icloud.  Are you saying I do NOT need to backup to icloud and that it is ok to delete the backup data in icloud for the Square register app?  This will allow me to free up space on my icloud account.  All of my data will be saved on your servers and I do not need to worry about losinig anything? Will this also allow my to view sales history (like 5 years ago) indefinitely or is there a time limit on saved data on your servers?

Message 6 of 12
Square

@famoussand - Happy to follow up. iCloud backups are not necessary for Square Register. Your Square Register data is stored security on our servers. Just by using your username and password, you'll be able to access your account from any device at any time. You can also log into your Square Dashboard from a computer to see your sales data at any point. Hope this helps!  

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 7 of 12

Sean, I don't see open Tickets on our Dashboard. We need to replace our iPad. Will our open Tickets automatically be imported to the new device as well?

Thank you! 

Message 8 of 12
Admin

Hey @ginnys, jumping in for Sean here — sorry to keep you waiting.

Glad you brought this up. At this time, if you have a pre-existing open ticket with Point of Sale on one device, it will not be transferred automatically when you sign in to your account on your new device. If you're able, you'll want to complete the sale before switching over to your new iPad to prevent any confusion.

I'll be sure to flag your post with our Product Liaison team. Hope this helps you prepare for the switch, and we'll circle back as any other updates become available.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 9 of 12

Thanks Tom. Are Tickets backed up to the cloud? i.e. If a device fails, is there a way to retrieve the tickets that were open on that device? 

Message 10 of 12
Admin

Thanks for your reply, @ginnys — I just tested this out and the open tickets that I had saved on my first device did not show up when I signed in to a second device. The case was the same when signing in with an email or device code. This leads me to believe that open tickets are not backed up on our servers.

That being said, I want to make 100% sure I have the correct details. Let me touch base with a member of our product team and I'll circle back as soon as I have more information. 🕵🏻

Appreciate your patience!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 11 of 12
Admin

Hey @ginnys — circling back with an update.

After having a closer look with our product team, I can confirm that Open Tickets are synced on our servers. You'll have to enable Open Tickets on each device you want them synced to: tap the three horizontal lines in the upper left of your screen > Open Tickets > toggle on Open Tickets.

Hope this helps clear things up. If your tickets are not syncing across all devices, please let our Support Team know — they'll be able to take a look behind the scenes.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 12 of 12