x

Credit transaction registered as cash. Card was swiped and customer sign. No deposit received

Credit transaction registered as cash. Card was swiped and customer sign. No deposit received

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

So sorry for the delay with this! I'm happy to follow up. It sounds like it might be best if our Support Team works with you one-on-one for this issue. 

Having said that, when a payment is processed as "Cash," rather than "Credit Card," no card details are actually captured (so we're not able to collect funds). Most likely, you will need to re-run their card again. Worst case scenario, if they left an email address or phone number, we can try to reach out to the customer on your behalf.

You can reach a supporter directly by writing in here. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Square

Best Answer

So sorry for the delay with this! I'm happy to follow up. It sounds like it might be best if our Support Team works with you one-on-one for this issue. 

Having said that, when a payment is processed as "Cash," rather than "Credit Card," no card details are actually captured (so we're not able to collect funds). Most likely, you will need to re-run their card again. Worst case scenario, if they left an email address or phone number, we can try to reach out to the customer on your behalf.

You can reach a supporter directly by writing in here. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 2 of 16

So what happens to all those sales that we have lost. I mean it goes as card, shows approved and everything, but at the end of the night it shows up as cash, if we can't get the customer information then we are kinda screwed.

Message 3 of 16
Square

@Skewers - It will be best for you to reach out to our Support Team directly. They'll be able to take a closer look at things for you. 👍

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 16

I had the same thing happen over this past weekend.  Swiped credit cards and showed up as cash in cash drawer.  Very frustrating that these might all be lost sales.

Message 5 of 16
Admin

Hey @NYF — that definitely shouldn't be happening. Sorry to hear about the trouble.😕 Please contact our Support team directly and send them the payment information if you haven't already. We'd like to have a closer look.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 16

So that totally stinks!  Several people were using the ipad to take sales.
Everyone swiped the card and purchasers were asked if they wanted an email
confirmation, some did not.  The whole point of having the Square is to
take Credit Cards.  It seems that the default should be to credit card if
swiped – not cash!  And the fact that we swiped the cards, seems like it
should hold that information at least a couple days in case there is a
problem.  The support team took their time responding and have not yet
responded to my recent email about this being close to a $400 loss for us, a
non-profit organization.

Their suggestion was to contact everyone and re-run the credit card.
First, not everyone requested a receipt and not everyone on our team made a
note as to whom used a credit card.  Second, when I log on to our dashboard
via computer, it does not show all the details from the ipad device we used
the day of our event making it more challenging to actually manage our
account and determine who may have not been charged.  Third, if we can
figure out who used their credit card, this requires many calls from us,
then manually entering their card information...which Square takes a HIGHER
percentage of.  This was the first year we tried out Square, and looks like
we'll be looking for a different provider.  Customer service stinks as well.

Message 7 of 16

Yesterday was the first time I used Square to sell books at a conference.  I set Square up the day before to make sure it worked but when I got to the conference the first thing that did not work was the contactless+chip reader.  It kept dropping the connection and asking to retry which is very frustating with a customer standing in front of you. So I switched to the swipe reader and it could not connect to the internet either so I processed the payments off line which they still are as of this morning.  Neither readers connected to the internnet which was active.  

I looked at the transactions and only two of the credit card payments processed as credit cards and the other processed as cash and I have one transaction that is totally invalid that I could not clear it out to start over.

From what I am reading the two credit card payments that did go through will be the only money deposited in my account and I have lost the other sales.  Since I was a vendor at a conference there is no way to track down customers to re-swipe their cards.

So my problems are:

Neither card reader worked properly and did not connect to the active internet

Credit card transactions process as cash.  

There is not way to back out of a transaction to start over when the amount invalid.

I chose Square because your are the oldest provider of these services and I assumed the most sophiticated. Since most people use debit and credit cards rather than cash or check I am really frustrated with this experience.  I know I will lose sales requiring only cash or checks but I have lost 8 sales using your product.

I need you to solve these problems or this will be the first and last time I use Square.

Message 8 of 16
Square

Really sorry to hear about your experience, @RootsMatter. Definitely not how your first experience should go. 

It will be best if you give us a call so a team member can take a look at the individual payments. Here in the Community we can't look into your account, since this is a public forum. 

Follow the steps in this thread to locate your customer code, and give us call. 

Message 9 of 16

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Accidentally accepted as Cash instead of Credit Card....now what?" The author has been notified via email.

Accidentally recorded an outstanding invoice as paid in cash instead of Credit Card. How to change recorded method from cash to credit card?

Message 10 of 16

We had 2 instances today were a credit card transaction was entered on square as cash.  I contacted support and they tell me that they CANNOT get me the phone number of the customer...even though the customer was texted a receipt.  So basically I’m out the money AND the products sold?

Message 11 of 16

Same exact thing happened to me this past week.  Had to swipe customers cc as there was no chip on the card.  When the cc was swiped the transaction seemed to go through without hesitation & coded it as "other card" transaction. The only thing that seemed strange is no receipt came up on the screen for customer to sign. In an effort to keep the  the line moving I simply wrote a receipt and moved to next customer.  Never realizing the customer was never charged even though square displayed it just as any other CC transaction.  There was no warning signs, nothing at all to trigger us the transaction was "non existent" until the money never got deposited into my account.  Extremely frustrating being a small town Boutique I can't afford to loose a dime especially when square is consistently increasing fees!!  After reading several post I realize this is a problem for many of us and quite frankly, it needs to be resolved in terms of reimbursement of funds.  After all, it's not my fault there's a glitch in squares ability to accept a cc without a chip.  If that's the case no need for the magstripe device!  When a cc is swiped, square should automatically know it's a CC and take whatever necessary precautions available to ensure we are paid for our merchandise!!   Instead I was told there's a glitch in the system and if I didn't have the customers info then I was sol. I guarantee this wouldn't be an issue if everytime it happened that same amount was deducted from their paychecks as that's what's happening to us as their customer.  Angry I've lost more money to square and nothing was done to correct the issue 😡

Message 12 of 16
Beta Member

Agreed!

Message 13 of 16
Beta Member

Same thing happens to us in our coffee shop shows processed when card is swiped, patron signs etc. and get our green check mark.  Then they drive off and we don’t get paid.  My staff was just voiding the transactions because it was confusing leaving those tickets on POS’s.  They even were having the wrong patron swipe for the wrong ticket.  This is unacceptable!  I want my money back for all my hardware and I am going to Toast!

Message 14 of 16

it was not  cash

Message 15 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hi @bcervenka - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

Are you needing help with a specific payment? If so, we won't be able to tell what's happening without looking at your account and transactions with you, which we aren't able to do via the Seller Community. For this type of issue, I suggest that you get in touch with our Support Team. If you haven't already, please reach out to Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Thank you!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 16 of 16