x
Square

Process recurring payments with Card on File

What is Card on File?

Card on File allows you to process recurring or subscription payments. You can store payment details for your regulars and charge them at the tap of a button to save time at checkout. This can be done through the Point of Sale app, Invoices, or Virtual Terminal.

Below is an example of how Card on File works in Virtual Terminal. After saving a customer’s card information, simply select the customer you want to charge and you’re done!

Screen Recording 2017-12-12 at 02.03 PM.gif 

When to use Card on File?

Below are some examples of when Card on File may be handy for your business!

Remote billing

Skip the phone tag (and that notepad full of credit card numbers) and store customer payment information safely — then bill them when you need to.

House accounts for your regulars

Give your regular customers the convenience of house accounts so that their transactions are quick and seamless when they come in

Recurring invoices

Sending recurring or multiple invoices to the same customer? Save their cards on file to immediately process invoice payments and get paid faster.

Why use Card on File?

• Speed: save time by finding customers quickly and charging them instantly.
  • Security: store customer payment information safely in Dashboard.

How to use Card on File?

• How to use Card on File with Square Point of Sale application
  • How to use Card on File with Square Invoices
  • How to use Card on File with Virtual Terminal
  • Save payment cards to customers in your directory. Here is how to link a payment card to a customer profile.

Pricing

Pay just 3.5% + 15¢ per transaction when you use a card on file with Square Point of Sale application, Virtual Terminal or Square Invoices. 

FAQ

Why is the pricing for Card on File higher than for swipe, dip, tap?

As a manually entered card payment, this feature follows our standard pricing for these types of charges.

Can my customer manage saved cards from their end?

Your customers can remove their card by following the link provided in their last card on file notification. They will receive notifications when their card is stored, email address is changed, and when a payment is made using a card on file. 

Message 1 of 68
67 REPLIES 67

So it looks like the ccustomer would have a credit card on file. It would be charged each time. How about having a gift card on file. Say $50. Each transaction would deduct from card. But without having to swipe. We would see them and off they go. Is that s thing ?

Message 2 of 68
Admin

@Lisa Yes your customer's card on file has to be an accepted debit or credit card. I'll share your interest in saving gift cards on file with the team! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 68

Love the idea, though I know a certain amount of disputes may arise, but i'm not willing to pay the extra prossesing fees.

Message 4 of 68

Love it, but I’m not willing to pay higher  processing fee 

Giggi 

Message 5 of 68
Square Community Moderator

@tml88 @Lexus100 Thanks for the feedback around the pricing. 

It's interesting to hear thoughts around this. I'll definitely pass this over to our Invoice team. 

If anything changes around this we'll post an update 👍🏼

Message 6 of 68

You can get all your processing fees back during taxes.  So, this should not be reason to not a better process in place if it’s more convenient 

Message 7 of 68

Paying extra for this?  NO, NOT A CHANCE!

Message 8 of 68

That's an awesome idea! Using gift cards on file would be much easier on the customers peace of mind, mainly the ones who don't trust as easily. It would eliminate the manual input as well correct?

Message 9 of 68

Yes! Love that idea! 

Message 10 of 68

Hi what about using Jot Forms?

Message 11 of 68

Hello @IssacRamirez! Could you tell me a little bit about how you would like to use Jot Forms? 

Message 12 of 68

Can I use card on file for layaway transactions.  Say I have a $300 layaway sale and

the customer agrees to pay $100 on the first of each month till paid.  Can this be done?

Message 13 of 68

You can @Sewstuff!! If you have any questions let me know. 🙂

Message 14 of 68
Beta Member

Nice idea for a coffee shop with daily repeat customers but too expensive for a small ticket purchases like a cup of coffee. Why not use the 2.7% you typically charge for credit card purchases? 

Message 15 of 68

Charging mechants an extra 30% premium (and then some) on every transaction,  just to keep the same form of payment that would have been used "on file" - I think not!  It should be enough to promote this option to persuade customers to use credit over cash, but this is just greedy and insulting.  

Message 16 of 68

Thanks for the feedback @superiorcoffee! We understand that not all business might be interested in utilizing Card on File. I'll make sure to share your thoughts with the Payment Team. 

Message 17 of 68

I have customers that are repeating and if anything they should receive better than being charged higher %. As I can see the first time it’s entered fine charge higher but every time after charge 2.7. 

This is a great system but why have the owner convince customers to pay cash instead of card ie giving your company more business

Message 18 of 68

I totally agree. What kind of incentive is the extra charge?? I'll stick to swiping each time

Message 19 of 68

The sad part is I still have to keyed in some CC because my business has repeat customers. They prefer to keep card on file so don't have to swipe each visit. 

Square, don't nickle and dime us for this! Change it up if you want us to use this option. 

Message 20 of 68

May I ask why you're keying in your payments and not swiping their cards instead?? 

Is your customer not there at the time of the transaction??

Message 21 of 68