x

When will Square allow a name change on an existing account?

I have purchased and existing business and continued on with Square as per previous owner. Now I wish to legally change the previous owner's name to my own, and Square does not allow for this. Every where else, this has been legally possible without closing accounts... Please Square, make this happen!!!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

I have requested a name change to my account as well, so I am feeling your pain. 😞

Message 2 of 16

I agree, this is a basic thing. In our case the square rep accidentally entered the manager’s name as the owner. She will be moving on to other opportunities in a year, and I need my name on the account. It’s not acceptable to start a whole new account and lose all the data so far. 

Message 3 of 16
Admin

I'm very sorry for the frustration this is causing @PIVO_Blepta and I'll shared your experience with the right product teams so we can improve this.

The name associated with a Square account is the name that person entered when they signed up online and, as you're aware, can't be edited. The CS team can help to add a new administrator or authorized representative but they can't make any changes to the owner's name.

In the meantime you could edit the email address for the existing account so you can still access reports/data. There's no fee to keep a Square account open. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 16

Even credit cards allow for an owner name change on an account. This seems like something that could be achieved by Square from the administrative side. I don't like having my former name associated with my account, and would prefer to use my current and legal name.

Message 5 of 16

What really sucks about this is now I can't get the new Square Card for my business. All because I got married and my name changed. So now, the name square has doesn't match my social!!! UGH! Square this is a SIMPLE problem to fix!

Message 6 of 16

This is my exact issue right now, I can't get the square card because they can't update my last name.  Why is this so difficult?  If it's due to marriage and is a simple last name change, this shouldn't be a  problem.  Business name is still exactly the same. 

Message 7 of 16

Same problem here. I got married and now apparently can NEVER have the Square Card because my account is stuck on my maiden name.

Changed my name on social security card, driver's license, all credit cards and bank accounts, and Square is the only account that has made it impossible. Did they not realize that people get married, and business owners change?

Thanks Square. Way to move with the times. This is ridiculous, I'm not going to start a new account and lose all my analytics info. Good luck with your stupid Square Card that so many of us are locked out of using forever because you have a ridiculous rule that literally NO other financial institution has.

If I have to start over in order to use the right name, I may as well switch to another company like Clover or PayPal to process my credit cards. 

Message 8 of 16
Admin

@XManSecureMover Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm really sorry that the inability to change the main Account Owner name is causing so much trouble. I just got married, so I definitely get the frustration about not being able to change your name with that one last account on your list. 

This has definitely been a popular request, but I can assure you that our team is working towards a solution. When a new solution is implemented, we'll make sure to let you and others know here in the Community.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 9 of 16

There should be a simple way to change your last name when you get married. Please fix this ASAP. This is the only card that I am having difficulty changing my last name. What can be done without starting over with Square?

Message 10 of 16
Beta Member

"... Square currently does not allow sellers to change their Account Owner's name. ..."

When the change will be available? It is simple but VERY much needed fix. Can escalate it with your Product Manager/developer team and asks when this feature request will be moved form a backlog to the road map? When it will be implemented?

Thank you!

Derek Szolucha
Message 11 of 16

So I just began reading the new General Terms of Service released today (3/30/21).

First point addressed: Square Account Registration - ....your name and other personal information. You must provide accurate and complete information in response to our questions, and you must keep that information current. You are fully responsible for all activity that occurs under your Square Account, ....

Ummmm, wouldn't this include updating a Last Name????? Square, your Sellers Community has been asking how this can be accomplished for about 2 years, now. Anything you would like to share with us????

Message 12 of 16
Beta Member

Our company had an employee that added herself as the owner by mistake (supposedly). How is this not the same as identity theft? We have been with square for years and received a ton of loans under my actual social security number, not the girl listed as the owner to my company. So, this makes zero sense. All loans are under my social, all transactions take place in my store, but I can't get a bank card or account with square and I have to lose all my history with square? I have thousands of customers stored under my company account. Just change the name. Is this going to require some kind of lawsuit? SURELY there is a better way??

Message 13 of 16

I got married about 6 months ago, I finally thought it was time to change my name on my business acct with square........ WELL as we all know you can't do that. What I was told was I would be able to transfer ownership from my maiden name to my married name after I changed my email address, because like everything else with the square you can't have the same email to transfer, but you can change it back to your business email after the transfer. So, I went to do the transfer AND of course, I cannot do this because I have payroll with square!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!? Why is this so **bleep** hard to do. I mean really, it's 2022! I have hundreds of customers, 1099 contractors and regular employees UGH this is so **bleep** frustrating! Come on Square it's time to get things figured out!

Message 14 of 16

Has this been fixed by square? I also need to change my name due to marriage??????

Message 15 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hi @AshleyRonelle - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

The ability to edit or change the Account Owner's name on your Square Account is still a feature request at this time. Please see my post here for more details. Thank you.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 16 of 16