x

Is it ok to take first test payment using our own debit/credit card?

Is it ok to take first test payment using our own debit/credit card?

Message 1 of 13
2 Best Answers
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Yes, it's fine. I did my first test of $1.00 to verify everything was working. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 13
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @Squareuser2 - thanks for making your first post here on the community. 🎉

Thanks @Ron - that is totally right. We do recommend completing a test transaction for $1.00 so you can get used to the payment flow. (Keep in mind that you won't be able to pay yourself for goods or services as cash advances and balance transfers are a violation of our Terms of Service). 

Good luck with using Square for your business! Definitely post again with any questions or helpful tips you may have.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Yes, it's fine. I did my first test of $1.00 to verify everything was working. 

Message 2 of 13

how much is the transaction fee? I received only $0.87. 13% is gone. Can I transfer without a transaction fee using friends instead of service as we do in Venmo?

Message 3 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hi @ganeshrk - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Great Question.

Square's standard processing fee is 2.6% + 10¢ for contactless payments, swiped or inserted chip cards, and swiped magstripe cards. Payments that are manually keyed-in, processed using Card on File, or manually entered using Virtual Terminal have a 3.5% + 15¢ fee.

So 2.6% + 10¢ of $1.00 works out to be $0.87. 

At this time Square does not offer a feature that will allow you to transfer without a transaction fee using friends instead of service. I'll be happy to move this over to a feature request board so that our engineers have visibility of your suggestion. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 13
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey @Squareuser2 - thanks for making your first post here on the community. 🎉

Thanks @Ron - that is totally right. We do recommend completing a test transaction for $1.00 so you can get used to the payment flow. (Keep in mind that you won't be able to pay yourself for goods or services as cash advances and balance transfers are a violation of our Terms of Service). 

Good luck with using Square for your business! Definitely post again with any questions or helpful tips you may have.

Message 5 of 13

@Russell @Ron Great, I tested it out and it all went smoothly. Thank you!

Message 6 of 13
Super Seller Alumni

@Squareuser2 Great! You are going to LOVE Square like we do. 

Message 7 of 13

During the tutorial, I was unable to find the Transaction tab because it was hidden by the green tutorial ribbon on the bottom so I hit the X and then found the Transaction tab to complete the refund portion of the tutorial....

it looks as though I refunded correctly but I am unsure.... how can I check this?

Message 8 of 13
Super Seller

Message 9 of 13

What if you made a typo and put $100 instead of $1.00? 

Message 10 of 13
Admin

Hi @Misscorky, thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Seller Community 🙂 

If you ever process a transaction for the incorrect amount, don't worry - you can always refund it from either your Square Dashboard or the Square Point of Sale app and then issue a new transaction for the correct amount.

Once a refund is initiated, you/the customer should see a pending transaction on the bank account for the refunded amount within 1-3 business days.

I hope this helps! 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 11 of 13

Is there a limit to personal credit card use on your own merchant account?

Message 12 of 13
Super Seller

Hi @uniquewagons Your question is not really the same as the original post for this thread.  But I’ll answer it here.  For anyone else who comes across this thread, please note that my answer here IS NOT RELATED to the original subject.  It already has a best answer.

Anyway…. @uniquewagons It is never a good idea — and in some cases it can be illegal — to use your personal credit/debit cards at your own business, other than for small ($1) test transactions.  This is not a Square restriction, but rather an industry-wide restriction.  Here’s why.

Credit card networks (Visa, Mastercard, etc) do not allow it.  They consider this to be the same as getting a cash advance without paying the much higher cash advance transaction fees.  In some cases I’ve read about, business owners did this as a form of money laundering.  Therefore the card networks, backed up by federal regulations, keep an eye out for this.  Technically it is a cash advance since you are using Visa (or whoever) to give you money to put into your business, but not paying the correct fee for that cash.

Because of this, Square specifically prohibits it, except for test transactions of very small amounts — like $1.  If Square doesn’t prohibit this then the card networks can revoke Square’s ability to process on their networks, which would affect all of us who use Square.  If Square detects that we are using personal cards at our businesses, they usually reach out and inform us to cease and desist.  But, if the transaction is large enough, they also reserve the right to cancel our account as well as take other actions that might be required by the card networks and/or federal regulations.

So, the very short direct answer to your question is there is a limit.  Don’t use your personal cards in your own business, ever.  I just 100% comp anything I buy from myself and handle it in my accounting books that way.  Some people I know pay in cash for purchases from their business, others write checks.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook

“Take what you like, take what works, leave the rest!”

User of the following third-party apps (ask for help or a referral link):

FreshKDS — Kitchen Display System
Bookkeep — Automated Revenue Accounting
Restoke — Menu Pricing and real-time inventory
Message 13 of 13